Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Christmas Eve dinner:

IMG_8507_zpsnfekbyls.jpg

Left to right, from top row:

Taramosalata dip (carp roe caviar, mixed with olive oil, lemon juice, and a starchy base of bread).
Tzatziki dip (greek yogurt, garlic, cucumber, dash of vinegar).
Shrimp salad.
Chicken baked with filo dough.
Meat tortiere (pie).
Roast pork.
Pasticcio (pasta with meat sauce in layers, topped with bechamel, baked in oven).
Tiropita (layered feta cheese and filo pastry, oven baked).
Oven roasted potatoes, basted with olive/lemon oil, oregano, salt and pepper.
Stuffed cabbage rolls in tomato and onion sauce.
Spanakopita (layered spinach, feta cheese and dill with filo dough, oven baked).
Feta cheese mini slab, with olive oil and sprinkled oregano.
Greek salad (tomatoes, cucumber, olives, orange peppers, in olive oil, sprinkled with oregano, salt).
Lettuce and spinach salad, crushed feta cheese, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano.

Thankfully, Christmas comes once a year.

:)
Excellent "spread," the_nines. You hooked me with:

Tzatziki dip (greek yogurt, garlic, cucumber, dash of vinegar).
Shrimp salad.
Chicken baked with filo dough.
Roast pork.
Oven roasted potatoes, basted with olive/lemon oil, oregano, salt and pepper.
Stuffed cabbage rolls in tomato and onion sauce.
Spanakopita (layered spinach, feta cheese and dill with filo dough, oven baked).
Feta cheese mini slab, with olive oil and sprinkled oregano.
Greek salad (tomatoes, cucumber, olives, orange peppers, in olive oil, sprinkled with oregano, salt).
Lettuce and spinach salad, crushed feta cheese, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano.

The closest I've been to Montreal is Toronto. Next time I'm in those environs, I'm headed northeast along the St. Lawrence Seaway. :)

Last edited:
Phở in Progress...

Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup

This stage is the longest stage. It has been going on for several hours already. For this stage, the only ingredients are beef bones and water. Normally there would be some tendons in there too, but I still have some sliced tendon from the last batch.

Because of the fat that is released during the cooking of the bones, and, later, the brisket and ox tails, I don't put spices in until such ingredients have been cooked to perfection. Spices are generally fat-soluble, so I don't spice until the fat has been skimmed and put away for other cooking. We don't want to spice the resulting tallow, or reduce the flavor of the Phở broth, where the magic is.

This is one big crock pot. Thank goodness for that. I just can't get enough of this stuff.

I'll see you in 26 hours or so...

Pho Bones.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Kung Pao Chicken

While I'm waiting for the Phở to get done, I made us some nice Kung Pao Chicken: cubed chicken thigh meat, sliced sweet peppers, zuchinni, scallions, Thai dragons (chiles), peanuts, minced ginger, minced garlic, Sichuan pepper, sesame oil, Hoisin sauce, sugar, mushroom-infused soy sauce, Chinese black vinegar, cornstarch, sake, star anise, and black cardamom, served with Japanese sushi rice.

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

New years Nom

Sole and langoustine en ballotine; savoy cabbage, steamed with butter and lemon; pickled fennel; and a hollandaise style sauce, based on a reduction af champagne, and the stock I made with the shells from the langoustines.

Beef tenderloin, potatoes, mixed salad with avocado and sweet potatoes, and a red wine reduction combined with my veal stock and a lot of butter (I only made the sauce for this dish)

Phở Bò (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)

After over 28 hours of simmering and prep, dinner is served. Mine tends to the style of southern Vietnam, with a couple of tweaks here and there.

First. beef knuckle and marrow bones are simmered clean. Then, the bones are removed, solids are put away for later, and ox tails and brisket are added and simmered until well tender. Then the brisket is removed, cooled and sliced thin, and the oxtails are put away for later. The fat is then carefully skimmed off and put away for use in cooking other goodies, like tacos, and other things. Once the fat has been removed, onion, shallots and ginger are are broiled to a nice caramelization with some char, then these are added to the broth. Finally, the spices are added: cloves, star anise, Vietnamese cinnamon, black cardamom, whole black peppercorns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, Vietnamese fish sauce (Red Boat), and Vietnamese yellow rock sugar.

At serving time, mung bean sprouts and special rice noodles are added to the broth, and one has the following optional ingredients to choose from: solids from the bone simmer, sliced tendon, ox tail, sliced brisket, tripe, and Vietnamese beef meatballs. The hot broth is poured over raw, shaved rib steak and cooked in the bowl.

To customize to taste, the following garnishes are available: scallion sections, thin slices of red onion and shallot, lime wedges, Thai basil, Thai dragon peppers, cilantro, mint, Sriracha, and Hoisin sauce. Your bowl is your very own.

Dinner.jpeg

Close1.jpeg

Close2.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

IMG_0821.JPG
I feel like eating breakfast all the time because I'm freaking hibernating. Highs in the low 30's and lows in the teens to single digits all week and not supposed to hit 40 till Sunday. The sausage is a local favorite, made in the next town, it's called Rayfields. People stand in line for this stuff. I don't, but I know people that do. I think there is stuff at the Piggly Wiggly just as good. A couple fried runny eggs and some honey mustard for dipping and supper is ready.

Four-Bean Pot, Etc.

I've been hankerin' for a nice pot o'beans for some time. I decided to do somthin' different, so...

First, the beans: Pinto, kidney, navy, and black beans, simmered with water, salt, black pepper, Korean gojuchang (red pepper flakes), cumin seeds, coriander seeds, beef bacon (diced from the slab), sliced onion, and diced jalapenos, all served with some nice chopped cilantro.

Next, some nice cornbread muffins: yellow corn meal, eggs (from the girls in the back yard), sour cream, kefir, baking powder, sugar and salt. These are served with some nice honey-butter.

Finally, a nice salad: shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, chopped tomatoes, chopped cilantro, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt and black pepper.

Dinner.jpeg

Serving.jpeg

Beans.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom