Backing up library from file on JRiver23??

I completely agree - Jriver very comprehensive and so many options. It's very nice in many regards. Many things about it, I like. The playlists, the custom coding of options, the remote control. All great.

But for ripping? I've tried taking small steps, didn't help me much.
Here's something I couldn't figure out - I'd take albums that were all split up, take one song tagging info - copy it to all the others in that album and Jriver still wouldn't reassemble. I tried a couple diff method of this, always failed.

Now I'm just whining - just last week, tried to burn a long MP3 audio book, and I've always used Jriver to span disks, which it does well. But now (and I certainly haven't changed settings) -it won't recognize the blank disks. I have two different burners - neither one. WMC, Itunes and one other I installed and can't remember - they all could see blank disks, but not Jriver. I really needed the disks that day, so used Audacity to split the file and then used Win10 to just burn. Very aggravating.
Here's my last whine - every time I'd have an issue with jriver and go check their "help" wiki, it was no help. So I'd post up my issue on jriver forum and I'd get basically zero responses, except maybe upgrade to next version. Fack that.

I completely agree - Jriver very comprehensive and so many options. It's very nice in many regards. Many things about it, I like. The playlists, the custom coding of options, the remote control. All great.

But for ripping? I've tried taking small steps, didn't help me much.
Here's something I couldn't figure out - I'd take albums that were all split up, take one song tagging info - copy it to all the others in that album and Jriver still wouldn't reassemble. I tried a couple diff method of this, always failed.

Now I'm just whining - just last week, tried to burn a long MP3 audio book, and I've always used Jriver to span disks, which it does well. But now (and I certainly haven't changed settings) -it won't recognize the blank disks. I have two different burners - neither one. WMC, Itunes and one other I installed and can't remember - they all could see blank disks, but not Jriver. I really needed the disks that day, so used Audacity to split the file and then used Win10 to just burn. Very aggravating.
Here's my last whine - every time I'd have an issue with jriver and go check their "help" wiki, it was no help. So I'd post up my issue on jriver forum and I'd get basically zero responses, except maybe upgrade to next version. Fack that.

Interesting about the ripping, as of all the things I do with JRiver, this one is the easiest. I just shove CD's into the drive and it puts them in not only the right folders but adds all the right metadata and artwork although I sometimes opt for other artwork later with better resolution. I often rip while I am playing other music and never causes any problems.

I think at least some of the problems people have are more windows related but certainly not always. skizo maybe has the right approach, stay a few versions back as the latest are being developed while being used. I haven't had too many issues running the current version however other than lots of upgrades can mean waiting for it to finish before getting to play music.

Help is often the weakest link with any software product that is always being updated with new stuff. In order to create an up to date manual for each version would require a lot of resources and it would certainly cost the users more money for the company to hire the writers to create the manuals. So they took another approach by using wiki's and a forum. Problem is that forum seems to be manned with power users and often wont help someone who has not done his homework, probably for a number of reasons, one of which was how they came to their problem in the first place. Nobody wants to be blamed for messing up someone's entire media collection because the person is not being computer lit enough to figure the basics out. These guys are for the most part volunteers who believe in the software and are supporting its development.

This is where I would steer people away from JRiver. Like my spouse, she would have difficulty figuring JR out and also would be trying to make it do more advanced functions without a clue how to achieve it. I think JRiver, out of the box is about 95% there and if all a complete novice wanted to do was rip and play music then it would work fine. Problems will rear their ugly heads however if that someone starts making sweeping changes in mass without fully realizing what they are doing.

There are other media software out there, most not as powerful as JRiver, but also might not get the new user in trouble either. For me, coming from ITunes a few years ago, it was like going from a farm town high school to a major university.. Time to either swim or sink! But for me, having software that is robust is always worth a bit of digging and learning along the way. I still have but scratched the surface I think, but I am never stopped by something the software is incapable of doing. That is why I am wanting to learn more about its apparent inability to deal with compilations. Someday I am going to want to explore classical for instance and want to understand this deficiency now.

I think you're right about the windows updates - I think that's what has caused my burning issue.

That is why I am wanting to learn more about its apparent inability to deal with compilations. Someday I am going to want to explore classical for instance and want to understand this deficiency now.

I don't know Jriver, but have been using iTunes for a while. In iTunes, if you find some tracks of a CD missing, even if it's not a compilation, it's likely because another artist was on the track , and it will be found under that artist's name. Once you are aware of what's going on, and the fix, it's not real difficult. Took me a while to figure it out.

I don't know Jriver, but have been using iTunes for a while. In iTunes, if you find some tracks of a CD missing, even if it's not a compilation, it's likely because another artist was on the track , and it will be found under that artist's name. Once you are aware of what's going on, and the fix, it's not real difficult. Took me a while to figure it out.

In combination with the new year's resolution thread nearby, you just reminded me I STILL have a few albums splayed over a number of artists in my iTunes library. Therefore, I resolve to tidy them up soon, real soon...

Still having problems with my music stopping,even after doing the recommended procedures:
-Backing up my library
-Uninstall Media Center
-Reboot computer
-Re-install latest version of MC(23.0.91
-restored my library.
I am using Windows 10.
Help!
Thanks,Huck

How much memory and what do you have running in the background?

Do you have your USB drive set as the default sound device in Windows? Use WASAPI if you have the drivers.

Not sure how to check how much memory,but USB set as default,nothing else is running,I am using WASAPI.Thanks,Huck

Are the music files stored on this PC? Are they on the same HD? I use a separate HD for my music, even used a USB drive, with no issues.

I am on my cheapie Android pad so I will write more when I get to my PC.

I have very basic knowledge of computers,but my files are stored on this computer(JRiver),same HD.Thanks,Huck

YUP - 4 GB - should be plenty. Is this a laptop or desktop?
Desktop.Thanks,Huck
My wife is more up on this computer stuff and she found VLC (I guess it's part of Windows 10?) and all my ripped discs are in there,so playing them through VLC....not sure about if they are being played back as identical as my ripped disc,but sounds not too bad.Thanks,Huck

They are supposedly also going to others. This was info from dcs at an audio show.
"Supposedly also...others"? Are you able to be more specific as to exactly what info you refer/received from dcs at this show?

Is it the "record label db" part you claimed in your above post, or the "others" part, or both?

Roon Labs - talking to the actual labels to use their DB's to check metadata on the digital audio. DCS, who works closely with Roon Labs, was talking about this since the offer Roon with their players.
OK...that's better. So, dcs was saying that Roon was talking/approaching record labels about accessing their in-house DBs. I have no reason to doubt that conversational claim by dcs as a third party. But, since Roon's launch to the present, that is not how it works botrytis.

Roon does not directly pay nor directly access record label databases. Roon is expensive for a reason, but paying labels for metadata is not one of them.

Roon's metadata is sourced from:
  • Rovi (now d.b.a. TiVo)
  • MusicBrainz free open source db
  • Local library file tags
  • User edits performed within Roon
  • Tidal's tags (if linked to Tidal subscription)
From there Roon uses proprietary algorithms to "smartly" sift, sort, and arrange the metadata displayed in their player.

Last edited:
I rip using Windows Media Player. I play the music with JRiver.

Trying to answer some of the questions -

When player stops and starts are there other apps running?
It does not take long for JRiver to build the library. I would not worry about that.
All you need to do is point JRiver to a folder and it will build the library (import it).

What you want to do is create on main folder and then create subfolders under it. That way you point to one folder in music player and it automatically grabs everything underneath.

Folder example: The folders Rock, Soul, Surf are underneath the main folder MusicLibrary.

-MusicLibrary
--Rock
----The Beatles
----The Stones
--Soul
--Surf

In JRiver under menu Audio/Files you can nominate where folder is located. So you would point at MusicLibrary.

In JRiver under menu Tools/Import you nominate the folder to import the files. I selected Configure Auto-Import so it will watch this folder.

This will build the library. Mine is 2300 CDs and takes under 30 minutes.

upload_2018-1-2_17-17-6.png

It does not take long for JRiver to build the library. I would not worry about that.
All you need to do is point JRiver to a folder and it will build the library (import it).

What you want to do is create on main folder and then create subfolders under it. That way you point to one folder in music player and it automatically grabs everything underneath.

Folder example: The folders Rock, Soul, Surf are underneath the main folder MusicLibrary.

-MusicLibrary
--Rock
----The Beatles
----The Stones
--Soul
--Surf

In JRiver under menu Audio/Files you can nominate where folder is located. So you would point at MusicLibrary.

In JRiver under menu Tools/Import you nominate the folder to import the files. I selected Configure Auto-Import so it will watch this folder.

View attachment 1080134

-MusicLibrary
--Rock
----The Beatles
----The Stones
--Soul
--Surf

View attachment 1080134

-MusicLibrary
--Rock
----The Beatles
----The Stones
--Soul
--Surf

View attachment 1080134
Nothing else was running....just stops randomly.
Regarding Windows Media Player and ripping...under the "Rip Music" window......'Rip Settings'...should I pick MP3 or something else to get a perfect ripped copy?...same goes for 'Audio Quality"....slide the bar to the far right for 'Best Quality"?....Sorry,but I am very dumb when it comes to computer anything!!.
My wife basically did all my ripping on JRiver!
Thanks,Huck
p.s. Not sure what happened with the multiple quotes ^^!

in WMP - pick WAV or lossless WMA. I know there is a way to rip to FLAC in WMP but I haven't done in it in Win 10.
Thanks! I will try my first rip on my own today..I have a few MFSL c.d's I would like to rip.Thanks,Huck

Remember WMA has the meta data and WAV is basically copying the CD to your HD - it is an exact copy of the data on the CD's.
Hi:
I just ripped Heart- MFSL c.d. using WAV and I played it back and it sounded very thin,no bottom end...probably doing something wrong.?!
I ripped it using JRiver and playback sounds way better.....?! Huck

upload_2018-1-3_7-18-43.png

Create a folder to rip music. Mine is C:\MusicTransfer

There are 4 lossless formats to choose.
I would pick Windows Media Audio (WMA) Lossless or FLAC (Lossless)

Back
Top Bottom