What kind of caps are these?

teal'c

Nuclear Cardiac Parent
Are they likely to dry out? They're glass.
C53 and C56.
Lafayette LR-310

DSCN7089.JPG DSCN7090.JPG DSCN7092.JPG DSCN7093.JPG DSCN7091.JPG Screenshot from 2018-01-01 13-39-33.png

Last edited:
Those are polystyrene film capacitors, leave 'em alone unless you know for sure there's a problem with one. They are high accuracy low noise caps and they're very reliable. Be very careful if soldering near them and do not subject them to heat, it will ruin them.

Audiojones hit the nail on the head. Leave them be unless proven defective. Then use large heat sinks on the leads when soldering or de-soldering.

Yup, leave those alone unless they are known to be bad. You will find those in phono stages also. And that reminds me, I've lost my heatsinks during my recent move. A must for replacing that type of cap.

Look at the caps on the left from the picture at the link. Some have both leads on the same side.
220px-Tantal-P1100196c.jpg

Trust me, they are polystyrene film capacitors not tantalums. Leave 'em be unless all proper troubleshooting points to them

1000pF-630VDC-Radial-PSA-102J-630VDC-Polystyrene.jpg

Polystyrene. Used to be, only polystyrenes were used in phono stages, due to their accuracy, silence, small size, stability and durability. They're clear plastic, not glass, and they will be damaged if the caution others recommend is not used when soldering.

Those are polystyrene film capacitors, leave 'em alone unless you know for sure there's a problem with one. They are high accuracy low noise caps and they're very reliable. Be very careful if soldering near them and do not subject them to heat, it will ruin them.

Audiojones hit the nail on the head. Leave them be unless proven defective. Then use large heat sinks on the leads when soldering or de-soldering.

+2 on that, no question

John

+4

High quality polystyrene caps. They are supposed to have a domed top. They are fine unless they are not so leave em there. These are almost never swapped in a recap because they are quality.

Look at the caps on the left from the picture at the link. Some have both leads on the same side.
220px-Tantal-P1100196c.jpg
Those look like wet tantalum caps on the left in the pic. Had a few of these in a Crown tape deck electronics section and they got replaced. Wet tants go bad. But the difference, radial vs. axial really spells a difference in construction of the ones the OP is asking about and the ones in the wiki pic.

Back
Top Bottom