A really good article about vinyl, digital files and cd's

That is the problem with this board. People feel like they have skin in the game when they really don't and then they get snarky. People would not give up vinyl even if it is proven (it has been) that it is an inferior medium that has not changed for 60 years (which is basically the way it is now).

Just use what you will - 'nuff said.

The simple fact is that for many posters on here their equipment (or overall view) has become part of their identity and/or their religion. So when another poster comes along and dares to have a different opinion about the equipment (or medium), egos get inflamed (along with asses) and the game is on. This is just an un-scientific observation but it seems to me the more rabid the acolyte, the thinner the skin and that results in the usual result: butt-hurts and thread closings.

Can't people just buy a record and a turntable and hear for themselves. Why argue about third party opinions? I don't give a rats ass what others think about the topic, I have my own ears.

Consider the kinds of things where you DO "give a rats ass what others think." Compare those things to audio. What's the difference? Why do you examine and accept opinions on the one hand and yet when it's audio, you don't?

Your right - religion. Never discuss :D

Yep.....I was thinking (rare I know) to myself about if there was anything I own that I would get upset if somebody insulted it or told me they did not like......and the answer I came up with was zero. Even though I really love several items I own, I simply could care less what others think about what I have spent my own money on. Now if somebody insulted somebody that I love that is a different thing of course. After a 30 year career in retail selling and management I think I am pretty decent at reading people........ and what I have noticed over the years is that those that are most upset by somebody either talking down about their equipment or not agreeing with them over a view of that equipment, usually have replaced personal relationships with relationships with their equipment.

What I like is it does not discredit any media but points out the strengths and weaknesses of all formats and why some prefer one over another.
I got the impression that the author has never heard a record in his life and that he's writing on a topic he knows nothing about.

I didn't see anyone talking about what I call "palpable presence", which to me is what albums have and CDs don't, and which is why I prefer listening to records. :)

I got the impression that the author has never heard a record in his life and that he's writing on a topic he knows nothing about.

I didn't see anyone talking about what I call "palpable presence", which to me is what albums have and CDs don't, and which is why I prefer listening to records. :)

"PP" only exists at all in the last 10%. Sadly, most have never experienced it.

I just got done reading this and found it to be a well balanced article. It discusses the strengths and weaknesses of the different music formats and why one may be preferred over the other. The title is misleading of the content and please no flame wars over which one is superior, Thank You.
http://www.laweekly.com/music/why-cds-may-actually-sound-better-than-vinyl-5352162
As a Journalist myself, I agree that this is a first rate piece of writing. Well researched, objective and flooded with quality sources on both sides. Ultimately, it certainly leads one to giving CD's more respect.

The article is correct in that what sounds better to a person is likely to be his or her preferred medium. I think this is somewhat generational. If you came of age in the 60's, there is a better than even chance that you will prefer the sound of vinyl through a quality reproduction system (read high-end). If you came of age after 1990, there is a good chance you prefer digital formats and, further, if you are not an obsessive audio person (like most people reading this thread), you probably rarely listen to a high-end audio system. You likely listen to most of your music on ear-buds or phones. Can it sound good? You bet. Can it sound as good as vinyl through a Thorens turntable, McIntosh preamp and amp, and top of the line Klipsch speakers? Not in a million years. But, as I've stated in other threads, us older guys came up willing to sit down in a listening space, block out everything else, and absorb the wonder of the reproduced performance. Most people under the age of 40 are unlikely to put their phone, iPad and laptop down for 40 minutes to listen to an LP equivalent of music (Again, present company excepted). Does any of this mean one way is "better" than the other? Not at all. It just means we are all looking for different things from our music listening. I absolutely believe the techs in the article who claim that all electrical measurements prove that digital recording is more accurate. But when I want to spend some time in dedicated listening to music, it will likely be from a vinyl source.
Well said. I'm gonna say what I'm happy with. My 21 year old son is a music buff and he enjoys tunes on his crappy cell phone and through his crappy ear phones and his crappy blue tooth speaker that's about the size of a stick of butter. But when he's home from college he listens to that same stuff through my gear and he is blown away. He knows it sounds better. He loves hearing it. But is that gonna stop him from listening through his LG G5 phone? No. I'm just glad that he hears the difference. Some day, when he has his own place ( as in NOT a dorm room) he might decide he wants good sound. Thanks to me, he will know exactly how to get it.

The comments I am making in regard to this subject is from my listening experience with my system . I have very good bass response in my room thanks to a distributed bass system . My vinyl and digital front ends are of high quality . Vinyl is pleasing to listen too but for music with low frequency information digital walks all over it .If I gave up my vinyl system I would not miss it . I play with vinyl because it appeals to the gear head in me .And if you look at the economics of formats digital for content is a bargain . .

The telephone industry calls it "comfort noise" -- that little bit of hiss in the background that's always there. Now that (almost) everything's digital and there is no inherent background noise in the connection, they artificially generate it, so people don't think the line is dead.

The telephone industry calls it "comfort noise" -- that little bit of hiss in the background that's always there. Now that (almost) everything's digital and there is no inherent background noise in the connection, they artificially generate it, so people don't think the line is dead.

My cellphone carrier seems to be overdoing the, um, "comfort noise" by a few tens of db...

Well said. I'm gonna say what I'm happy with. My 21 year old son is a music buff and he enjoys tunes on his crappy cell phone and through his crappy ear phones and his crappy blue tooth speaker that's about the size of a stick of butter. But when he's home from college he listens to that same stuff through my gear and he is blown away. He knows it sounds better. He loves hearing it. But is that gonna stop him from listening through his LG G5 phone? No. I'm just glad that he hears the difference. Some day, when he has his own place ( as in NOT a dorm room) he might decide he wants good sound. Thanks to me, he will know exactly how to get it.

It is not the phone that sounds bad, it is the media he is playing through it. MP3s dont sound very good but premium streaming services sound great. I bought Amazon fire tablets to run Spotify Premium for two of my three systems and they sound awesome 99% of the time. Higher end Androids and most all iPhones have pretty decent DACs. I also have SACD players and TTs for both of those systems but they seem to be such a pain now that I use Spotify. The only reason I still have the turntables is that,like the poster above, I like the gear. I despise the surface noise and the first time I hear a pop or a click it ruins the enjoyment of the music.

26230579_1760850803934859_4443624771057107047_n.jpg

26169673_1760850773934862_8787639101197647874_n.jpg

I think the choice of vinyl vs digital might depend somewhat on the genre of music you listen to the most. If it's classical, I could see how the quiet background could be a real advantage. In my case, I'm just a very old teenager who mostly listens to classic rock. I never hear tics and pops in the background because there isn't any background. Maybe digital could actually give me more bass, but I doubt that my speakers could handle it, and I know my wife couldn't . :rflmao:

... surface noise?...nostalgia, the romance of it.
Where in the world do you get this from what I wrote? Are you on drugs?

If you want to quote me go right ahead. If you want to lie about what I wrote, and just make things up, go foot yourself. :D

That is the problem with this board. People feel like they have skin in the game when they really don't and then they get snarky. People would not give up vinyl even if it is proven (it has been) that it is an inferior medium that has not changed for 60 years (which is basically the way it is now).

Just use what you will - 'nuff said.

'Palpable presence'? Oh, you mean the surface noise? Well, heck yeah, Vinyl has it in spades.

You mean nostalgia, the romance of it. That is very subjective. and not useful in this discussion.
If you like it, cheers :D
Your snark is showing. :D

OK folks, Let's just drop the personal back and forth. Everyone is entitled to his opinion and the personal attacks are BS and against AK rules. Keep it civil or this one will close!
Regards,
Jim

'Palpable presence'? Oh, you mean the surface noise? Well, heck yeah, Vinyl has it in spades.

You mean nostalgia, the romance of it. That is very subjective. and not useful in this discussion.
If you like it, cheers :D
Surface noise? Negligible! Well if you used new records and the LAST line of products and grooveglide.When I had my Vpi Tnt Mk I it was damn glorious, you wouldn't think of CD's they were nowhere near as smooth or as full sounding (compare a low bit rate MP3 to a Cd, fuller sounding like there is more "body" to the music)
Then High Resolution digital audio came along and not even my blackbird could keep up, so when the speaker(s) died I went full digital, I only buy CD's to encode em then they go bye bye. I prefer 96/24 at a minimum or DSD but it's still kinda slim pickings..

Back
Top Bottom