Today's JAZZ playlist

MI0001463851.jpg

Random mostly off topic thing: 2017 was the first year in a couple decades I regularly visited record shops again, or bought vinyl, and catching/keeping up with what's been happening in jazz over the last few years. It's been interesting and it's helped me deal with some things.

I just took a tally on how many LPs, CDs and downloads I bought in the last year, and, well, 89. I'm a bit surprised, although the vast majority have been bargain bin finds for $1-$5. Still, I don't believe I bought close to 89 recordings in a year before.

We are actually blessed on Oahu because there is a MOST excellent Record Store "Hungry Ear Records" that truly is astonishing. The owner is a Jazz lover so the Jazz bins are well curated. And it's amazing how many stellar Jazz albums you find in Hawaii. My theory is both the Japanese (who are Jazz lovers) and military personnel bring albums to the islands and then leave them there or sell them or give them away. Many times, what I find at Hungry Ear Honolulu astonishes me. So I shop at a record store regularly.

In the old store near Hawaii University, the bargain $1.00 and $2.00 bins were on the floor. I had no problem sitting down on the floor and pawing through the offerings. I found some classic big band Jazz albums once STILL SEALED (factory) for $2.00.

Although nothing can compare to "Sam The Record Man" and "A&A" records on Yonge Street in Toronto. These were icons of the record world and their demise still hurts deeply.

Doesn't seem like anything but totally on topic to me .

Thanks. I didn't include a photo, though.

We are actually blessed on Oahu because there is a MOST excellent Record Store "Hungry Ear Records" that truly is astonishing. The owner is a Jazz lover so the Jazz bins are well curated. And it's amazing how many stellar Jazz albums you find in Hawaii. My theory is both the Japanese (who are Jazz lovers) and military personnel bring albums to the islands and then leave them there or sell them or give them away. Many times, what I find at Hungry Ear Honolulu astonishes me. So I shop at a record store regularly.

In the old store near Hawaii University, the bargain $1.00 and $2.00 bins were on the floor. I had no problem sitting down on the floor and pawing through the offerings. I found some classic big band Jazz albums once STILL SEALED (factory) for $2.00.

Although nothing can compare to "Sam The Record Man" and "A&A" records on Yonge Street in Toronto. These were icons of the record world and their demise still hurts deeply.

More reason I need to get to Hawaii at some point, although I'd likely need to bring an extra bag and packing material to bring back albums.

But I didn't know those Yonge street shops had closed. I was last in Toronto in the late 90s, so learning those places are gone does sting.

The closest shop to me has far more records than can be organized in its space, so it's astoundingly disorganized, and the albums are usually priced fairly low. The jazz section consists of two large boxes on the floor in the back which are mostly filled with Chuck Mangione and Spyro Gyra records, but occasionally I find something interesting, like a Columbia six-eye pressing of Lambert, Hendricks and Ross for $2. I've had better luck in the "just in" section, although finding a grouping of jazz leads me to wonder who the previous owner was.

Another place about 45 minutes away has a much better jazz selection with large $1-$5 bins, but most of the better known albums are priced from $10-$50. Last time I was there I considered a $30 Mingus x5 for a while before putting it back and just going with a couple Ahmad Jamal and a Basie/Ellington albums found in the bargain section.

Back
Top Bottom