Tube "Warmth" -- Literally

As a tube lover it's more of a curse for me.... Many a time I've been sitting on the couch in just my boxer shorts sweating my arse off while listening to music. 40 degree Celsius temperatures and high humidity in Brisbane suck, and I avoid using the air conditioning where possible due to the high cost of electricity over here.

Well mjw21a, those/your economics are understandable..

But, even though I can repair all my audio equipment, I would never, ever run any audio or video equipment in a 104` F/40 C` temperature environment, as it is no doubt very stressful to it`s longevity and probably performance, especially any vintage tube gear..
I will not run my vintage/modern tube preamp/amps in a ambient temperature environment higher than 76`F & the same with SS gear !!
But that`s just me, from a electronic repair persons mindset...

Heat is the enemy of all electronics, and after over 40 years of professionally repairing audio gear, I`ve seen quite a few well "baked" much cooler operating SS stereo equipment pass across my bench for various reasons, usually after being operated in an enclosed cabinet for "WAF" while cranked up during activities outside during late spring with the temperatures elevating during the course of the day with the owner`s house windows open, here in NE. FL.

Just my thought`s and $.02`s opinion Sir.

After all, it`s your investment & your gear to use as you see fit..

Enjoy the music.

Kind regards, OKB

Well mjw21a, those/your economics are understandable..

But, even though I can repair all my audio equipment, I would never, ever run any audio or video equipment in a 104` F/40 C` temperature environment, as it is no doubt very stressful to it`s longevity and probably performance, especially any vintage tube gear..
I will not run my vintage/modern tube preamp/amps in a ambient temperature environment higher than 76`F & the same with SS gear !!
But that`s just me, from a electronic repair persons mindset...

Heat is the enemy of all electronics, and after over 40 years of professionally repairing audio gear, I`ve seen quite a few well "baked" much cooler operating SS stereo equipment pass across my bench for various reasons, usually after being operated in an enclosed cabinet for "WAF" while cranked up during activities outside during late spring with the temperatures elevating during the course of the day with the owner`s house windows open, here in NE. FL.

Just my thought`s and $.02`s opinion Sir.

After all, it`s your investment & your gear to use as you see fit..

Enjoy the music.

Kind regards, OKB

Unfortunately that's the weather we're stuck with here and I'm not going to wait till winter just to enjoy my music. My amps are both new Chinese Oldchen amps which have had cap, volume pot and tube changes. Frankly the cost savings in not running air-conditioning will pay for new amps in a few years if they do fail. I try make do with ceiling fans where possible. These ensure airflow across the equipment which mitigates it a little with a far lower power use. The little SEP amp is class A, whereas the push/pull is class AB. We each do the best we can.

Unfortunately that's the weather we're stuck with here and I'm not going to wait till winter just to enjoy my music. My amps are both new Chinese Oldchen amps which have had cap, volume pot and tube changes. Frankly the cost savings in not running air-conditioning will pay for new amps in a few years if they do fail. I try make do with ceiling fans where possible. These ensure airflow across the equipment which mitigates it a little with a far lower power use. The little SEP amp is class A, whereas the push/pull is class AB. We each do the best we can.

Fair enough Sir.
Just trying to be helpful where I can..

Back
Top Bottom