Anyone use a High Resolution Audio Player for home stereo sue?

I'm using the Bluesound Node2. Nice player - has a decent DAC built in. I also have a few Sonos Connect streamers. I prefer the Node2. Best way to get away from having to use a computer to stream music. My music library is stored on a NAS and I also use Tidal.

Ive been looking into a few different players that have audio out to bypass the headphone amp and have quite decent DACs. I don't see why they wouldn't sound good through my main system. Also since they can play hi-res and DSD files as long as there isn't degradation of sound somewhere I would think it could sound better that my CD player with the right files.

I would agree. In my main system, I have FLAC files which are transferred via USB out of the music server into the DAC and send the music out of the DAC via balanced XLR analog to my pre-amp. The only digital signal processing/decoding done in that system is done by the DAC because from there, it's all analog.

The A&K 3.5mm output uses the internal DAC in the player so you get the quality that is there vs. having it processed by an internal DAC of a receiver, AVR, etc.... For me, as I mentioned, I use it in my mini-system in the office which only has one aux input, the 3.5mm RCA.

I would agree. In my main system, I have FLAC files which are transferred via USB out of the music server into the DAC and send the music out of the DAC via balanced XLR analog to my pre-amp. The only digital signal processing/decoding done in that system is done by the DAC because from there, it's all analog.

The A&K 3.5mm output uses the internal DAC in the player so you get the quality that is there vs. having it processed by an internal DAC of a receiver, AVR, etc.... For me, as I mentioned, I use it in my mini-system in the office which only has one aux input, the 3.5mm RCA.
I am very happy with what I hear from the system, since my CD player stopped working, I have never gone back to CDs, I only listen to high res files like flac, ape, and DSD, I can only say I can't hear much differences from CDs.
i agree with Yamaki, the problem is with your pc's sound card, a little DAC should give you clean sound.

Just broke down and bought an IBasso DX90. It seems to get a lot of good reviews and along with the standard headphone out, it also has a line out and a digital coaxial out, to bypass the amp and just use the dual DAC's. And can take up to a 2Tb micro sd card which is crazy because they don't even exist yet. I found one for a good price so fingers crossed.

I really have no idea about the noise and have all but given up on it. And I should have been more clear on the sound it's not a hum. More ground noise, like the speaker noise when you have an amp turned up all the way with nothing playing. It is being added when the file is being retrieved but before it is played. If I burn a CD or put the file on my phone or another device it sounds clear, but no matter what program I play it on my or what I play it through from if I play the file from the computer it hums. I have 4 hard drives and it doesn't matter which one the file is on, Bluetooth, WiFi, HDMI, digital audio, RCA, mini plug, 1/4", headphones it all has it.

It doesn't make any sense to me or anyone I've shown it to, it's probably something simple and obvious, but I have no idea what it is.

I've been looking into these high res audio players and think that's the easiest solution to my problem.

Is there anyone else other than travellersol who is using one?
sorry for bit late in reply-was busy you know the year end thing.
I was going to say: have you tried using another PC other than your own to test your system, maybe your kids' notebook computer, see if you still get the same noise? I'd still think that an external soundcard/DAC might solve your problem. Below is the model I'm using, and there is no noise at all playing from my laptop:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/UK-Selling-M...04-SOUND-CARD-BOARD-UK-Sale-HOT-/221397555295

Yamaki and I both use a DAP (Fiio and AK), many of these have line out and/or coaxial output. Typical connection method is using a one-to-two RCA audio cable that connects your DAP to the AUX or tape input of your amp: upload_2018-1-1_9-8-45.png

For most people this set up is good enough. The more demanding people would go further to the optical path which I'd want to explore when I have the time.

The downside is: If you don't need good sound on the road, or if you seldom travel around, and you mostly enjoy music at home and you have a huge collection of music in the Terabytes, then a DAP might be cumbersome because the storage in a DAP is limited. In my case the Fiio X5 iii has a maximum storage of 512GB (256GB x 2), you can't playing everything at once through it without swapping some cards.

So far from what I have read, I think wildcat's solution is the most comprehensive as far as using PC is concerned. His idea of using optical connections, and using a DAC via NAS, are both worthy considerations. Do bear in mind that it might be more worthwhile to get it right the first time-spend more on the right gears and save a lot of fund from buying many less-then-perfect gears.

Honestly if I have the time and resources, I'd go that way too, but so far, I'm still very happy with my current setup: Fiio X5 iii - Sansui 7070 - JBL L110.

Just broke down and bought an IBasso DX90. It seems to get a lot of good reviews and along with the standard headphone out, it also has a line out and a digital coaxial out, to bypass the amp and just use the dual DAC's. And can take up to a 2Tb micro sd card which is crazy because they don't even exist yet. I found one for a good price so fingers crossed.
yeah the iBasso has a good reputation. 2TB of storage? That's crazy...... Do let us know how it sounds....

I really have no idea about the noise and have all but given up on it. And I should have been more clear on the sound it's not a hum. More ground noise, like the speaker noise when you have an amp turned up all the way with nothing playing. It is being added when the file is being retrieved but before it is played. If I burn a CD or put the file on my phone or another device it sounds clear, but no matter what program I play it on my or what I play it through from if I play the file from the computer it hums. I have 4 hard drives and it doesn't matter which one the file is on, Bluetooth, WiFi, HDMI, digital audio, RCA, mini plug, 1/4", headphones it all has it.

It doesn't make any sense to me or anyone I've shown it to, it's probably something simple and obvious, but I have no idea what it is.

I've been looking into these high res audio players and think that's the easiest solution to my problem.

I've come across some info on line that purports three factors that I've not come across on BT transmission that might be a possible source of that "ground noise"'.

One reporter seemed to think that if the data being transmitted if dense, the BT may not be able to handle the material, resulting in extraneous noise. Another I read indicated that the music files themselves, if on the large side may cause interference. Other pundits thought that even the mobile provider might be the inherent reason for poor connection. Had a feeling that all this data was suppositions and not definitive at this point.

I'm only repeating what others thought on this BT issue, but there might me an element of truth in some of their thinking.

Q

yeah the iBasso has a good reputation. 2TB of storage? That's crazy...... Do let us know how it sounds....

The IBasso showed up today. I'm having computer problems so I was only able to put a two albums on it Black Sabbath 4 FLAC and Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon DSF. Used the Line out via 3.5mm to RCA cords and so far in the short time I did have time to listen to it, I'm very impressed.

Quality is quite good and ground hum free. So far my only complaint is that it is unable to seamlessly go from one track into the next. There is a definitive pause between tracks and for albums like dark side of the moon where the tracks run into each other it really takes you out of the moment. Other than that so far so good.

Quality is quite good and ground hum free. So far my only complaint is that it is unable to seamlessly go from one track into the next. There is a definitive pause between tracks and for albums like dark side of the moon where the tracks run into each other it really takes you out of the moment. Other than that so far so good.

There's some level of Rockbox support for that DAP, so you can probably get it to run gapless if you like the rest of the unit enough to commit to it.

Installing rockbox is around a six or seven on the one to ten "how much of a propellerhead are you, anyhow?"

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx90-dual-boot-with-mango-stock-firmware.727669/

There's some level of Rockbox support for that DAP, so you can probably get it to run gapless if you like the rest of the unit enough to commit to it.

Installing rockbox is around a six or seven on the one to ten "how much of a propellerhead are you, anyhow?"

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx90-dual-boot-with-mango-stock-firmware.727669/

I was just looking into that. I didn't see that is was gapless but if so I'll definitely try it out.

Also I haven't heard anyone called a propellerhead in a long time. I doubt my kid would even get the meaning or reference.

First I just wanted to note that I found the Chromecast Audio to be poorly shielded/grounded. I was trying to use one with a JBL bluetooth speaker via it's 3.5mm input jack and was hearing "computer noises" in the background.

As for hires players, I have used Android phones and tablets with great success, especially when connected via USB OTG to an external DAC. More recently I have put together a Raspberry Pi 3B with Volumio software to and external USB DAC, and the sound is glorious!

Back
Top Bottom