The Last Jedi (Star Wars 8)

I enjoyed it, but honestly I find Emo Ren to be kind of irritating.

Come on. Luke Skywalker was emo before emo even existed. Always complaining about being on the farm. Later on, always complaining about the force being "too hard." Perpetually unhappy about everything. THEN he trained Ren and surprise surprise! Emo Ren.

Star Wars was a most amazing movie and had a great cinematic effect on me. The movies that came after I can take or leave. But then I was an adult when Star Wars was released, those who were kids then would have a different relationship to the series than I, what with them being targeted for the hoopla and getting Star Wars toys at Christmas and all that.

Come on. Luke Skywalker was emo before emo even existed. Always complaining about being on the farm. Later on, always complaining about the force being "too hard." Perpetually unhappy about everything. THEN he trained Ren and surprise surprise! Emo Ren.

Fair point. Anakin in the prequils was no better so I guess it runs in the family. Leia was always the one that seemed to have her sh*t together in that group.

I was a little disappointed in the Luke storyline, since he was a scared young man but cam into his own in movie 6. They forced this story a bit and that made the move a little less enjoyable but over all it was excellent.

Spot on. My son and I thought it sucked. My sons explanation was perfect: I thought they rushed it. He then asked how long between movies when the originals were made (way before he was born)? I said 3 years. He said they should have taken that much time with this one. I told him we live in a society, now, that is out for quantity over quality (music also).

Star Wars was a most amazing movie and had a great cinematic effect on me. The movies that came after I can take or leave. But then I was an adult when Star Wars was released, those who were kids then would have a different relationship to the series than I, what with them being targeted for the hoopla and getting Star Wars toys at Christmas and all that.

Ahem... I'm 50 now and I am still buying the toys and eating up all the hoopla. Why, we even had a trailer release party!

EDIT... in fact, now that I have my own money I'm buying more than ever! Also working on a tauntaun costume complete with guts.

Last edited:
It's not going to be the same Star Wars what with Han killed by his son, Luke evaporating into the ether, and Princess Leia, well, that was a doggone shame about Carrie Fisher.

Methinks it's going to be the Kylo and Rey show from now on.

I agree. I really liked the movie. In fact I saw it again tonight just in case I missed some little details from last week. This movie had a different vibe with a bunch of story lines going at once but I liked how it all came together in the end. This is truly the passing of the torch to the next generation. From what I heard they are already writing the stories for the next 3 movies. Probably made 10 years from now. Will I go see those in the future yes I’m a Star Wars fan.

I agree. I really liked the movie. In fact I saw it again tonight just in case I missed some little details from last week. This movie had a different vibe with a bunch of story lines going at once but I liked how it all came together in the end. This is truly the passing of the torch to the next generation. From what I heard they are already writing the stories for the next 3 movies. Probably made 10 years from now. Will I go see those in the future yes I’m a Star Wars fan.

These are the only movies that make me put the asshole cynic aside and just eat up the hype like a 9 year old.

Ahem... I'm 50 now and I am still buying the toys and eating up all the hoopla. Why, we even had a trailer release party!

EDIT... in fact, now that I have my own money I'm buying more than ever! Also working on a tauntaun costume complete with guts.

I like the toys also. Lol we never had ones like these when I was a kid.. These were out about a year or so ago and should have bought one then but people are starting to off load them now. You might have seen them the 48 inch trooper. The smaller one is in the pic is 31 inches for scale. They make a Vader also I’m trying to get.
4D763D77-83E1-471A-86E7-2B0EB6AE37D0.jpeg

Yeah, I slipped on the Vader and Trooper ones They would have made a great matching set. I'm glad I picked up three of the Legacy Millennium Falcons when they were only 99 bucks.

Fair point. Anakin in the prequils was no better so I guess it runs in the family. Leia was always the one that seemed to have her sh*t together in that group.

Absolutely. I kinda wish they would have developed her Force skills and maybe even made her into a female Jedi. I hope Rey takes on the role.

SPOILER:

I love that she's not from any particular bloodline and the force is really a random thing. It opens up the opportunities for anyone to be a Jedi.

SPOILER:

I love that she's not from any particular bloodline and the force is really a random thing. It opens up the opportunities for anyone to be a Jedi.

I agree, they don't need to recycle the "Luke.. I am your Father" story line. It was a great twist in the original story but keeping Rey separate from that opens many possibilities. The big surprise for me was killing off Snoke so quickly. Who knows, maybe the rise of a less competent but ambitious Kylo Ren will make it entertaining!

watched it during the holiday's, wasn't a bad movie but it wasnt a great movie either, think they over did it with the comedy,''''''''''SPOILERS''''''...................................................................................didn't like leia floating around in space & i didnt like hologram luke, expected him to have an epic lightsabor battle with kylo but no we just get an image of luke........................

Last edited:
Watch the spoilers; it’s bad form to give away too much without a spoiler warning preceding the main post.

I agree, they don't need to recycle the "Luke.. I am your Father" story line. It was a great twist in the original story but keeping Rey separate from that opens many possibilities. The big surprise for me was killing off Snoke so quickly. Who knows, maybe the rise of a less competent but ambitious Kylo Ren will make it entertaining!
I saw too many Disney motifs in it for my appetite. It is a matter of time before 'safe spaces' are in storylines and the characters become cute. And enough with the too-many, sporadic humor cuts.

SPOILER, even though the film's been out for a month now. :rolleyes:

Well, at the end, random kids seemed to have an inkling about the larger picture. So there's that.
I agree; Snoke only had 1-1/2 episodes and was gone, with no backstory. A letdown.
Too much time spent in the diversion to Canto Bight. And the Rose character added nothing, then is gone.
There still is no explanations as to the Empire's defeat and the history of the First Order.
What are the connections and conflict origins for...
Empire -> First Order ?
Rebellion -> Empire ?
Rebellion -> Resistance ?
Resistance -> First Order ?
.... frustrating.

I saw too many Disney motifs in it for my appetite.
Disney bought Star Wars so they could make Leia become another Disney Princess™, and sell Baby Darth Vader crib sets. :rolleyes: :D

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of though--how long before the franchise gets watered down and Disney-ized? Hopefully they will stay smart and leave the franchise alone.

Disney bought Star Wars so they could make Leia become another Disney Princess™, and sell Baby Darth Vader crib sets. :rolleyes: :D

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of though--how long before the franchise gets watered down and Disney-ized? Hopefully they will stay smart and leave the franchise alone.

I can only hope that they will keep the roots long enough for the original fans to be old enough they won't be able to tell. 20 more years should do it. By then we'll all be 70ish and some of us will be able to watch them again for the first time! :rflmao:

That stupid opening scene

(I mean SPOILER ALERT)

That stupid opening scene with Hux and Poe (the space phone call)...

almost made me want to leave.

Disney is definitely ruining Star Wars.

I almost expect to Dwayne Johnson and Shia LaBeouf in the next one.

Back
Top Bottom