The Official H/K Citation Owners Thread

Newbie here... saw a citation 21 for sale in my area. How good is the phono part of this preamp? Worth 180?
There is another Nikko beta 30 for 130. Is citation a better choice? Thanks

Citation 21 phono preamp circuit design is excellent as is the rest of the unit. Weak point is use of electrolytic capacitors that should have higher voltage ratings. I had an intermittent problem and by the time I could swap cables, swap inputs, or do anything else, it corrected itself. Having already replaced a couple of failed electrolytics in a Citation 24 and a CD 491 tape deck, and discovering that some caps were being run at or even slightly over their rated voltage, I recapped the entire unit. The time penalty is opening it up to get access to both sides of the main circuit board, so no point in stopping at one or two caps. Have had no problems since.

Thanks for sharing your experience...

Did you recap with electrolytic or film capacitors? How many are we talking about? It could be expensive if using high value film capacitors.

Citation 21 phono preamp circuit design is excellent as is the rest of the unit. Weak point is use of electrolytic capacitors that should have higher voltage ratings. I had an intermittent problem and by the time I could swap cables, swap inputs, or do anything else, it corrected itself. Having already replaced a couple of failed electrolytics in a Citation 24 and a CD 491 tape deck, and discovering that some caps were being run at or even slightly over their rated voltage, I recapped the entire unit. The time penalty is opening it up to get access to both sides of the main circuit board, so no point in stopping at one or two caps. Have had no problems since.

Recapped with electrolytics except values under 1 µF were replaced with film. The total was about 50 caps at a total cost of maybe $30. I did not replace the 2 main power supply caps or any in the moving coil section. There would not be room to replace with high value film.

So I just got my Citation 16 back from being seviced and having the driver boards re-capped, and it's been rotated back into the living room system while the L-09Ms are being gone through. I had replaced the big filter caps with 22,000uf 100v United Chemicon caps before I sent it out, so those remained in place. It sounds magnificent! It doesn't have the brute power of the Kenwoods, but it does have an exceptionally clean, fast, detailed sound that is very satisfying. Tomorrow I'm going to move the Allisons out, and move the Altecs back into the living room along with the Kenwood C2 because they work very nicely with the big Citation. I sure am glad to have it back home!

Hoping to jump in here...albeit a tad late...Just picked up a HK Citation 12 for a fair price (this unit is a great bargain at market price) and it sounds great even before the spa treatment its about to get. Got it from a fellow AKer here who turned out to be the real deal in terms of representing the unit's condition...which is not always the case. Nice low end...slightly grainy top...but w/ recap we'll fix that... Tried to get a Citation II redone by a restorer (not McShane) but he was not interested anymore and mostly touted his own amps and preamps.. Purchased a Levinson 532H for my Von Schweikert VR4JRs and never looked back...notably now owned by Harmon International...

Just a word of advice on buying used here and elsewhere...YMMV...if you see fingerprints or smudges in the photos...pass, pass, pass...it speaks volumes..

Last edited:
Only HK Citation gear that I have is in my rack, a Citation 18 tuner. She is a beauty both on the outside and inside as well. It's build quality is over the top.

BillWojo

Only HK Citation gear that I have is in my rack, a Citation 18 tuner. She is a beauty both on the outside and inside as well. It's build quality is over the top.

BillWojo
You have to love the way the Citation gear of that era was built. The 16 looks like a piece of Military equipment inside.

Got a few pieces sitting around here. A couple Cit 1, a Cit 2, a Cit 3, several Cit 4..... I think that covers it.

Need some help from you Gentlemen, I posted my Citation V in dollars and sense, as to its current value

Ha, the only piece I'm missing...... a Cit 5.

I am now a proud owner of a Citation Receiver #35. I has had many caps and i.c.'s replaced before I bought it but the top dial window was broken and the tuning knob trim ring was missing. I reproduced both as best I could and I think the H/K logo I used actually looks better than the original. Also had to refinish the veneer, clean corrosion off of the knobs and touch up many rusty screws. I need to display it next to my 730 to compare the size to each other. Sounds great. Been playing this the last couple of days instead of my bi-amp adcom system.

Attachments

• DSCF4620.JPG
    DSCF4620.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF4619.JPG
    DSCF4619.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF4618.JPG
    DSCF4618.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF4613.JPG
    DSCF4613.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 38
I am now a proud owner of a Citation Receiver #35. I has had many caps and i.c.'s replaced before I bought it but the top dial window was broken and the tuning knob trim ring was missing. I reproduced both as best I could and I think the H/K logo I used actually looks better than the original. Also had to refinish the veneer, clean corrosion off of the knobs and touch up many rusty screws. I need to display it next to my 730 to compare the size to each other. Sounds great. Been playing this the last couple of days instead of my bi-amp adcom system.

That's beautiful!

Hi All,

Great thread. Haven’t posted in a while. Used to be on the Sansui thread, still love Suis. Now more in love with H/K. I have a rebuilt 16, 11 and 15. Oh is the 15 a great tuner. The 16 is flat out solid and doesn’t miss.

Unfortunately, the 11 has caused me nothing but problems since rebuild. It’s now blowing fuses. Otherwise, when working it’s a nice unit. Just need to get it fixed. I’m in Chicago Burbs and looking for anybody around here that can fix it?

Hi All,

Great thread. Haven’t posted in a while. Used to be on the Sansui thread, still love Suis. Now more in love with H/K. I have a rebuilt 16, 11 and 15. Oh is the 15 a great tuner. The 16 is flat out solid and doesn’t miss.

Unfortunately, the 11 has caused me nothing but problems since rebuild. It’s now blowing fuses. Otherwise, when working it’s a nice unit. Just need to get it fixed. I’m in Chicago Burbs and looking for anybody around here that can fix it?

I am interested in what you may have done with your HK 11. What was the rebuild???

Back
Top Bottom