Using a Subwoofer with a Vintage Receiver

Even though this would be more complex, you could always grab a newer digital amp (can be had for next to nothing if you know where to look- talking less than $20 for a $300 modern amp 5-10 years old) with an actual sub out line out (low level) and run your "Y" connectors to that amp's CD/AUX "IN". This give benefits of running freq. cuts within that receiver, and allowing you to have a secondary volume control to fine-tune the level the sub plays back. So if you are watching a quiet movie and want more/less bass, just control the volume. Don't want bass for classical song? Turn the secondary pre-amp off. I still have a Pioneer VSX D514S that I'm holding onto just for this reason since going back to older SS 70's stuff. It has a dedicated sub-out, plenty of bass filters and cuts, and works great for that. You could even take it a step further and connect an optical s/pdif converter to accept the RCA from the "Y" connector, then use digital or optical "IN" on the secondary amp as the optical is a little cleaner than RCA to carry signal.

Last edited:
With my 9090 I tried hooking up my Infinity powered sub via the preouts but going that way I had a hum or groundloop sounding issue. I ended up useing the headphone jack and that worked fine.

Can any one give me some advice on how to add a Jamo D 8SUB to a Sansui AU-8500 Vintage Amp? All 3 channels run speakers, 2 sets of Jamo D 830 bookshelf speakers and some outdoor speakers.Sansui AU-8500 Rear.jpg Jamo D 8SUB.jpg

Yeah, high level isn't a very optimal way to hook it up. Sometimes it's the only choice you have, but the way it's intended to my understanding is to go from the receiver, to the sub, then from the sub to your speakers. You can see where this is problematic, but if you lack pre-out/main-in loops then you don't really have the choice. But since you do, use the pre-outs and you should be happy with that.

Don't have to run from sub to speakers. If the mains are full-range models just leave them connected to "A" or whatever, and run a line from "B" to the sub. Many subs don't include a passive crossover for mains, anyway.

Sub doesn't appear to have high-level (speaker) connections, in or out. Doesn't he have to use Tape Monitor Out to low-level sub inputs?

Sub doesn't appear to have high-level (speaker) connections, in or out. Doesn't he have to use Tape Monitor Out to low-level sub inputs?
One does not want to use tape outs for a sub-woofer. They aren't controlled by the receiver/amps volume control.

Sure did, but is that the only option? What are the N.R Adaptor outputs and the "4 Channel Adaptor" 2 channel outs used for, can I use one of these options?

Can any one give me some advice on how to add a Jamo D 8SUB to a Sansui AU-8500 Vintage Amp? All 3 channels run speakers, 2 sets of Jamo D 830 bookshelf speakers and some outdoor speakers.View attachment 1087195 View attachment 1087199
Option one

Pick up a pair of these.
MMF Y splitter.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-RCA-Splitter-Female-Male/dp/B000V1PB3O

Remove the two pre-out/main in jumpers in the lower right side of your jack panel, Replace them with these.

Run one pair of stereo interconnects from the dangling female connectors to the input of the sub-woofer.

Option two:

Remove those jumpers.

Run one pair of stereo interconnects from the output of the receiver to the input of the sub-woofer.

Run another pair of stereo interconnects from the output of the sub-woofer to the input of the receiver.

Last edited:
Update for all that are interested, the Sub volume is being adjusted by amp volume by using the 4 Channel adaptor, 2-CH out outputs on the Sansui AU-8500. But there is a catch, I run internet radio through the amp and if I turn the amp right down but still have the volume up on the computer the sub still pumps away, but if I use the computer volume (How I have always used it) the sub volume will adjust to suit, turn it right down or mute, no sound, the louder I turn the volume up on the computer the louder the sub goes. This works for me so all resolved.

Back
Top Bottom