Why bother when you have internet FM?

We're lucky to have a lot of fine radio in the San Francisco/Bay Area, and I listen to it a lot. I love listening to the tuner of my Fisher 500C receiver(plus it looks good in the dark) but truthfully I don't feel I'm losing much if anything when using internet radio with my Fisher X-100-B integrated. Nice to have both.

1104171525.jpg

"Cracked rear window" released in 1994... 24 years ago...
I went back at looked at Wikipedia. Sorry for the mistakes. Time is going by too fast. I guess I was the only person in the US that got absolutely sick of their music and sound. With five #1 singles off the "Cracked Rear View" CD it's no wonder they seemed overplayed to me. You could never escape.

You are not the only one that got tired of them.. Yes I'm feeling old too.

I'm so old that I can remember listening to fm radio to hear new music.

I was going to say.. it really hasn't changed a lot... I remember also getting sick of Fleetwood Mac Rumors and Frampton comes alive. I can still listen to Boston, but it was right up there being over played even back in the day.

I'm so old that I can remember listening to fm radio to hear new music.

My primary source of new music is still the FM dial. Currently I'm digging Cage the Elephant, Black Keys, (Ok, they're not so new), Anderson East, Ex Ambassadors, Portugal the Man, St. Vincent, Greta Van Fleet...I hear something I like, find out who it is, then when time allows I might research them on the net for their other material looking for hidden gems.

Examples of current artists (songs) I really like, then get overplayed so much that I lose interest in a great song are Gearge Ezra and (currently) Alice Merton.

....and I'm of the 8-track era!!

I am an extremely disappointed FM listener and was a tuner junkie. Look at my signature list. I grew up in Chicago and lived about 15 miles from the Hancock/Sears towers in the 60's-80's era. Went to college in Champaign in the late 60's and lived on the 8th floor of a high rise dorm. I could easily pick up stations 50 miles away with my KLH 18 and a dipole. I now live in a poor reception area of a vast FM wasteland in the Akron-Canton, OH area.
I hear that. We are leaving Detroit metro...wrcj...cbc Windsor...for mid michigan and way too much country and top 40.

I went back at looked at Wikipedia. Sorry for the mistakes. Time is going by too fast. I guess I was the only person in the US that got absolutely sick of their music and sound. With five #1 singles off the "Cracked Rear View" CD it's no wonder they seemed overplayed to me. You could never escape.

Like most of us I got sick of hearing Hootie as well. I still think the early-mid 90's were an exceptional time for new, good artists with bands like Cracker, Gin Blossoms, John Hiatt in his prime, Lemonheads, Green Day coming into their own, Pearl Jam, to name a few.

I hear that. We are leaving Detroit metro...wrcj...cbc Windsor...for mid michigan and way too much country and top 40.

I suppose that's when the tuner DOES take a back seat to online streaming your favorite radio stations from back home, which is kinda where this thread started.

Commercial radio exists to make money. It does this by selling ads for the highest rates it can get. The more listeners a commercial station has, the more it can charge for ads. If a commercial station is playing a particular format with a few tunes spun over and over, it must think that that is what will attract the maximum number of listeners.

'Twas ever thus. Sometimes I find myself (I'll be 64 next month) longing for the good old days of "progressive rock" and "album rock" and "free form" radio. But the truth is that FM radio only freed itself from bean counters and programmers and strict playlists for a brief time in the late '60s and early '70s. WMMR in Philadelphia, for example, was a fantastic station for 2 or 3 years, and then it was over. If any of you were young and near Harrisburg, PA in that era, you might remember "Starview 92.7." Same thing.

The internet and digital has been great for artists and music lovers. There is more good music, and more variety of good music, available today than ever before. Somebody in this thread mentioned Greta Van Fleet, a new band that I have been listening to. They wouldn't have had a chance in the old days.

The internet and digital has been great for artists and music lovers. There is more good music, and more variety of good music, available today than ever before. Somebody in this thread mentioned Greta Van Fleet, a new band that I have been listening to. They wouldn't have had a chance in the old days.
How does a new artist make it onto a playlist of a giant like iHeart? They must have multiple formats for different markets. Do they get lists of on-line download or streaming services numbers, etc?

Interesting thread but not much discussion of OTA (over the air) broadcasts vs streaning audio. I am lucky enough to have a squeezebox and a couple of Roku’s that have no problem pulling in 320Kpbs feeds, but they just don’t sound as good as a Yamaha T85 Punker X re-built for me. The streams don’t sound bad, but they don’t have the “depth” and “air” and “ ambiance” that the OTA FM signals have on my Yamaha T85. IMHO, music on the T85 sounds real while the 320Kpbs sounds good, but can’t touch the T85 for realism.

Now, the game changer for me may be lossless streaming through Tidal and Deezer. My local dealer set up an extensive demo for me using a Tidal/Naim/MQA combo that sounded much better to me when the MQA was enabled. It was a $20,000 system and I was told it would sound even better with a Mark Levinson streamer that would add an extra $10,000 cost. I don’t have that kind of disposable income, and it’s difficult to justify these prices when I can buy a ChromeCast audio server that does the same thing for $30,

So I’m hoping the market for decent sounding MQA lossless streaming equipment will drop. And I was lucky enough to find a Rotel RT-2100 that sounds really, really good and I hope to get it off to Punker X in the next few weeks so we can see just what kind of magic pixie dust he can sprinkle on it. I was astounded how much better he made the Yamaha T85, and I have high hopes for the Rotel RT-2100 when I can afford to ship it to him!::banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :cool:

Back
Top Bottom