Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

This one above is the one I have. You'll want to set it to 2 channel LPCM.

Thank you Sir :banana::banana::banana::beerchug::bowdown::thumbsup:

I might try to get a Tesla tube as well. I have 2 western electric 396A's in my shanling T200 already so might try those as well.

I ordered the monoprice hdmi audio extractor and a couple of cables while I was there.

The latest is I am studying up about tubes. It is another dam science on its own. O getters, D getters and SQ getters lol. So my question is should I just get an Ogetter tesla? Or get a second hand D Getter?

I have pm'd Versa to ask him what he thinks of the Tesla O getter that he ordered.

Last edited:
I would like to know that as well!!!

I have ordered a Tesla O getter for the time being to try in my D2 DAC. I will keep an eye out for a pinched waste one that seems to be good value. I am still waiting for the Sparkos op amps. I have also ordered 4 Gold Lion Tubes for my preamp and main amp to replace the JJ electronic ECC81 tubes. see how that goes as well.

I just found out something interesting. According to a seller on Ebay, Tesla did not make any 6CC42 D getters. They only made Square getters.

My personal thanks to bce22.
A D2 was on my Christmas list. My lovely spouse purchased one, it was delayed, but arrived yesterday.
It's another OMG moment in my audio memories.
Switching from a Schiit Modi to the D2 is probably about the same as moving from a 68 Dart GTS to a Lincoln Continental. Where I found the Schiit to be very good, especially at it's price point, I had no illusions it was TOTL, or anything extremely advanced. A most excellent DAC for background or party mode, lots of punch, deep bass, almost too bright highs, especially after switching to Ti domes from Krites in my Klipsch. But I've thoroughly enjoyed that sound for over 2 years and been very content.
Enter the D2. Win 8.1 picked up the D2 immediately. I had to change JRiver from ASIO to WASAPI, but from the first song, I can tell it is a much smoother sound signature. Highs are a bit more laid back, if you will, bass has changed slightly as well. Midrange, voices, have been impacted the most. Studio recordings, (Brooks and Dunn, Ain't No Way To Go), leaves me thinking Ronnie Dunn is standing in my room. Switching to a live recording, (Seger, Live Bullet, Turn the Page) and it sounds deep, like the room is 10 times it's actual size. Very impressive.
I know it will burn in some, by all accounts here, it gets better with time. I have a Tesla 6cc42 tube on it's way from Czechoslovakia, and will give that a try. But, out of the gate, I don't know if I can be much more impressed. I've bought things much more expensive than this that have not performed as well. A winner winner, chicken dinner.

I don't think I can take much more of this.
Robert Cray, Forecast Calls For Pain.
I've listened to this cut at least 1000 times, and that includes seeing Mr.Cray live in a pretty small venue in Saint Louis, on the floor, left of center stage, about 20 feet back.
I swear, Young Bob is standing in my freakin' living room right meow!
Multiple eargasms. Exhausting.

I don't think I can take much more of this.
Robert Cray, Forecast Calls For Pain.
I've listened to this cut at least 1000 times, and that includes seeing Mr.Cray live in a pretty small venue in Saint Louis, on the floor, left of center stage, about 20 feet back.
I swear, Young Bob is standing in my freakin' living room right meow!
Multiple eargasms. Exhausting.
Always liked Robert Cray immensely! So I have the D1plus (as well as a D1) which is going to have surgery tonight as my Sparkos Labs Dual Op Amps, as well as 3 tubes including the Tesla, have arrived!

I actually just came back to this thread for reference. Hoping to find a pic or tutorial of the Op Amp replacements

It appears that there are several manufacturers of discrete op amps. Sparkos, (already mentioned), Orange, Burson, Dexa.
Not quite as many options on op amp replacement as on tubes, but likely as much fun to experiment.
Dexa discrete op amps half off at Parts Connexion. http://www.partsconnexion.com/opamp_dexa.html
PC has a selection of tubes as well.

Last edited:
It appears that there are several manufacturers of discrete op amps. Sparkos, (already mentioned), Orange, Burson, Dexa.
No quite as many options on op amp replacement as on tubes, but likely as much fun to experiment.
Dexa discrete op amps half off at Parts Connexion. http://www.partsconnexion.com/opamp_dexa.html
PC has a selection of tubes as well.

Andrew Sparks (Sparkos Labs) sold me 2 of the SS3602 Duals for a great price. I installed one in place of the stock (not factory upgraded) OP amp in my D1plus and switched from the stock tube to the Tesla. Amazing difference immediately. Soundstage grew, highs were crisp and clean as was the bass. I was listening to Chris Isaaks Forever Blue and Ghengis Angus 12 Days on disc and was thrilled with the "new " sound. I was playing through my Dyna ST70 and Cornwalls.

Oh, what the heck. The Sparko's have gotten their reviews, I ordered the Dexa's.
PC says a one week backorder, I guess the half price sale is working for them.
3 duals for 120 and change.

That's cool. If they are anything like the Sparkos, give them some time. The first three hours or so really threw me for a loop. They changed the sound so drastically, then mellowed out back to normal.

In the first 20+ hours or so, the difference in sound was minimal but positive. Then, after quite a few hours taking the discrete opamps out and then back in in was very obvious what they were doing.

At first I questioned if this was a good move or not but like I said, give them some time and then A/B them to the originals.

Or it's possible the ones you're getting are nothing like the Sparkos? Curious to hear your impressions. Good luck!

Thank you Sir :banana::banana::banana::beerchug::bowdown::thumbsup:

I might try to get a Tesla tube as well. I have 2 western electric 396A's in my shanling T200 already so might try those as well.

I ordered the monoprice hdmi audio extractor and a couple of cables while I was there.

The latest is I am studying up about tubes. It is another dam science on its own. O getters, D getters and SQ getters lol. So my question is should I just get an Ogetter tesla? Or get a second hand D Getter?

I have pm'd Versa to ask him what he thinks of the Tesla O getter that he ordered.

Did you get the HDMI EXTRACTOR yet?

Hi swl 3600, yes I did get the HDMI extractor and I also had a stroke on xmas day and that sort of took precedence lol. 3 1/2 weeks later and still recovering. It does sound good but my senses are out of wack to say the least. When I am recovered I will give my opinion on here.
I received my sparkos labs op amps only to receive 2 instead of 3 needed for the D2 upgrade. He said he would send it off the 3rd one pronto but i had to sent him another message today 13 days after I complained. He may not have sent the third one yet. I will give his answer on here

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your situation Bonus. I'll be praying for you to get better soon. Hang in there my friend.

Best wishes headed to bonus...
Enjoy every moment.
Thanks Beanoil. apart from a headache I am feeling a lot better. I just received the 3rd Sparkos opamp today and had to put them into the D2 pronto. Matched up the notch in the black adaptor with the notch out of the printing on the circuit board and bingo they work. I can notice the difference straight off. I can hear more instruments and nice tight bass. I have less listening fatigue and the whole experience is much more interesting to the ear. If it is going to sound better after 50 hours or more then all I can say is wow! I have left the tube alone at this stage as I was getting a bit dizzy pocking around. I now also have the Tesla 6cc42 O getter and the square getter with pinched waist. A job for another day. Skizo is correct about that bloody lid. What a shit of a thing to wiggle off.
Oh and thank you Andrew from Sparkos

Back
Top Bottom