Best speaker score under $100

KLH 6's for 30 beans from the original owner a few years back. Wife made him sell said they didn't go with furnishings, i felt bad as he seemed pretty attached to them. They are sweet, got them on my bench for a recap and seal of woofer.

the B&W DM7's in my profile pic. i got them on the Facebook Marketplace a couple of months ago for $60. one of the tweeters didn't work. turns out it was a .5 amp fuse that costed like $0.20 to replace. :) now they sound phenomenal.

sZwkwkX.jpg

Norman Lab's model 10 one owner in mint condition stored for 27 years in climate controlled room. Was asking $50 and luckily first two callers didn't call back and I felt bad asking less but got them for $25. Stolen as they would bring $500+ but I won't ever sell these, they sound great but need alot of power to drive compared to my Frazier Mark V, Mark VI and Sevens.

kef Q90 - $25
kef ref100c - $70
kef Q10 - $90
AR M2 - $30
NHT super one $75
ADS L710 - $15
Sony APM 690 - $8
BG Radia Z1 - $100

€12,50 ($15) for two heavy closed cabinets with 15" Orion, Philips midrange (replaced due to foam rot), Realistic Dome Tweeter. Oddly, also came with Motorola Piezo tweeters placed a good 13in away from the dome, tweeter configuration is symmetrical between speakers. Odds were small that would sound good to my ears. The pleather fronts and painted-over veneer cabinets sure didn't look good to my eyes.

I can only imagine this was a DIY project where someone accidentally made a bunch of great mistakes. It sounds excellent and I usually gravitate back to these speakers for music with a lot of midrange information. I should probably put a nicer finish on them sometime, though.

Second picture is one sat to one of my (very dusty) SB-660's, a pair I got for a fiver I believe.

Attachments

• IMG-20170801-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20170801-WA0001.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 21
  • WP_20170731_001.jpg
    WP_20170731_001.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 21
Paid the thrift shop $35 for the console these wonderful 12" Zenith drivers were harvested from. Sold the console's tube amp and TT for a nice profit. Still using the console's wood for other projects. There's great fun in re/up cycling.

P1010019 2.jpg

IMG_2727.JPG IMG_1109.JPG I just acquired these exact speakers in a trade with the seller just the other day. Traded a pair of KLH's and a pair of University speakers that I paid a total of $65. These A25's were listed for $250 on CL. Not even 30 mins later, I purchased a pair of Dahlquist M-905's for $60. The A25's are in excellent condition and the M-905's are a solid 9 out of 10 condition wise.

I also recently traded a pair of BA VR30's that I only paid $30, for a pair of Canton Karat 920 DC that were listed for
$150. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I did well with these deals.. :banana:
By the way, all 3 pairs sound exquisitely sweet!
Yay for me:)

Last edited:
You guys have it easy in the States!

My top sub - $100 AUD buys (Edit: All of these are within my first year of actively buying):

-Spendor SP-1 for $25

-MartinLogan Script i electrostatic speakers with a Rotel separates stack for $90.

-Got a single Tannoy HPD-315 for free, which I subsequently sold.

-Infinity RS-4B with painted cabinets for $15.50 on the bay.

I regularly pick up speakers worth $300-500 in the $5-10 range.

I would only pay more than $1000 a pair for classic cost-no-object. Doubt I'd ever go over $3k.

Worth noting that unless you're in the market constantly to make a buck, it's next to impossible to consistently pull cheap buys here in the merry old land of Oz.

Whats your best speaker score under $100 bucks? can be any size, age, brand, etc and put how much you paid, and let's see who got the best deal ever!
:banana::banana::banana:
Pics optional:D

PSB Amazing Alpha bookshelves, $10
PSB Alpha BS $100
Paradigm Phantoms with stands $50
Paradigm Atoms $30
Sansui SP X6000 TRaded for a dartboard
Jensen Moldel 20s with stands, $40
PSB 800 floorstanders $60
Norman lab model 8's for $40 is best so far

4 def tech Mythos ones (two new in box)
Mythos three (nib)
2 mythos gems w/stands
def tech pro sub 800
all for $100
so $12.50 each

Smaller advents $5

Baby advent II's $8

Phase Tech teatro 11.5's $43

Phase tech PC1's $12

Harman Kardon stratophonic HK4's $6

4 Marantz Imperial 6g's 1st pair $40 2nd $30

Nova 7b's $6

Optimus 1b's $24

Optimus 21 $12

MCS 8245's $2.50

Infinity ss2003's $4

That's the one's worth mentioning.:thmbsp:
My how time flies:rolleyes:

Moved some of the above to new owners, but added

CV AT-12's for $10
Another pair of baby advent II's $2
New large Advent's $25
Another pair of Smaller Advent's--trade
JBL L46's $2
Boston A60 $5
:idea:

AR-3A improved for $5
JBL L-45's for $50
CV VS-150's $10
These stand out, and I'm sad that I don't see this in my area anymore.
Good times!

I've done ok-
Dynaco A-25's - $30 - need a recap
ADS L470's - $8 - perfect
Avid 100A's - $15 - had sticky vinyl cabinets, fixed w/ Goo-Gone
DCM TF-500's - $20 - play great, need new socks
Energy e: XL-c center - $6 - now using as HT center
NHT Zeroes - $8 - reglued one broken grill frame, now using for rear surrounds
Walnut OLA's - $20 - swapped out woofers for a pair w/ new surrounds I already had
Realistic Minimus 7's (Walnut) - $10 - need refinishing

Enjoy the music,
-Mark

I work on such a tight budget I don’t really consider “under 100“ score because 100 smackers is 100 smackers. But I broke the bank for these and paid $99 for them. I”m gonna regret that at the end of the month! Oh well, my only guilty pleasure. I’ve always wanted to own a pair of Allison, too. I don’t understand why I have black plastic name badges, every other pair of Allison Fours I see Have those copper plates. Anyone know? I got them in great working condition. A little oil and and some light sanding and they’ll be good to go. Maybe a little refinishing now because I took off this vibration thingamajig. I’m also going to fabricate two side grills that went missing from thin mesh sculpting wire which I will paint with an inert flat black paint. I wish I knew a source for that Allison plastic, they would be so easy to mold Press.

011150AC-B4DD-48CF-9AA0-644E5DAA1179_zpsgbtkvij2.jpeg

Last edited:
Recently with one fell swoop, for $300 I got:

Yamaha RX V-2092, early 2000's receiver with 125 wpc for main 3 channels. LOTS of power and smooth Yamaha sound.
DefTech BC-8's, first generation dipoles in excellent condition, buffed up they look brand new and placed correctly sound great.
DefTech C1 center channel, also one of the first DefTech's made and sort of looks like an unfinished prototype with the grille off, still using it.
DefTech PowerField 15" sub. This I was kind of 'meh' on. Looks impressive, sounds sloppy and a muddy, not much excursion. Good thump for movies but didn't care for it with music.
Huge assortment of Monster Cables, coax, etc in a big garbage bag.
Samsung Blu Ray player that was was probably awesome 10 years ago but I don't know what to do with except donate or give away.

Sold the sub for $250 and the remaining gear is being used by my 12 year old daughter who is getting into music and was buying vinyl and playing it on a cheap portable Crosley record player. Couldn't stand seeing that so she got the Yamaha and the DefTech's with an extra Pioneer Andrew Wood sub I had and a Pioneer turntable. So,, I guess you could say I got all the above minus the sub for $50 bucks.

I work on such a tight budget I don’t really consider “under 100“ score because 100 smackers is 100 smackers. But I broke the bank for these and paid $99 for them. I”m gonna regret that at the end of the month! Oh well, my only guilty pleasure. I’ve always wanted to own a pair of Allison, too. I don’t understand why I have black plastic name badges, every other pair of Allison Fours I see Have those copper plates. Anyone know? I got them in great working condition. A little oil and and some light sanding and they’ll be good to go. Maybe a little refinishing now because I took off this vibration thingamajig. I’m also going to fabricate two side grills that went missing from thin mesh sculpting wire which I will paint with an inert flat black paint. I wish I knew a source for that Allison plastic, they would be so easy to mold Press.

011150AC-B4DD-48CF-9AA0-644E5DAA1179_zpsgbtkvij2.jpeg

I don't know anything about them - but I just had to comment that they're beautiful speakers.

Guy I know just got a free pair of Altec A7-500s.

Don't know condition yet, but... yeah.
:eek2:

Regards,
Gordon.

I just googled those. Dear Lord - those are beasts. I would call those "divorce" speakers. If I came home with those, I would be in divorce court.

I just googled those. Dear Lord - those are beasts. I would call those "divorce" speakers. If I came home with those, I would be in divorce court.
oooh. I've got just the spot for those babies!
However, if not divorce speakers, then hernia surgery speakers. But hell, I'd roll the dice for those!

Back
Top Bottom