Best speaker score under $100

oooh. I've got just the spot for those babies!
However, if not divorce speakers, then hernia surgery speakers. But hell, I'd roll the dice for those!

As long as you don't combine the two, you're good to go - divorce & hernia!

Celestion Ditton 25 off craiglist in Vancouver BC for $60. He wanted $40; couldn't do it. I took a chance that they even worked, and they did. My favourites are the Altec/Lansing Altec Model 1 that I am using right now. $35 off CL and they are magnificent! A bit of damage to the veneer on the tops, but the sound is incredible. Also scored some Paradigm 7se from a thrift shop for $17. Incredible speakers after I removed the crud and abuse that was hiding them. There has been others as well. I am currently listening to a pair of ESM-3 that I got for $15. What an incredible little speaker! Going nowhere. And Energy Reference 22, a pair for $25. Needed a little tlc and tightening of one speaker post. Love this hobby!

I got a pair of paradigm atom monitor v6 and a pair of atom v1's for 5$ a pair at 2 different garage sales. My all time champion though has to be a near mint pair of thiel model 2's I found at the local dump when I was dropping off some scrap wood. The grills were even lying nearby and for 5 buck worth of material from the local fabric store I recovered them. I also got a pair of technics sbl 100's, near mint but dusty, at a local flea market for 20.

$89
Sidereal Akustic Model 3
Found them in the corner of a venders area in an antique mall. Snapped a pic of badge and spent a few days researching. Finally got a hit and traced them back to the founder Richard Smith (he passed late 2006). They were out of Oceanside CA. Mr Smith later met John McDonald and they started Audience which is still in business. I was working that week and stressed out about not buying them and had to wait to get back and see if they were still there. I got 10% off and a week to bring them back, lol. I emailed Audience on a Sunday to see if anyone had any info on them and got a reply in less than an hour from the CEO of Audience, Mr McDonald! He was cool and answered my questions. Apparently these are rare. Heres part of an interview with Smith and McDonald where they make reference to these speakers.

View attachment 982220 View attachment 982221
I love vintage stuff. The more obscure the better. Thanks

To add to my March 22nd post: ESM-1s (rear-port, stitched rubber surround woofer) at $25, and my latest find, a pair of grimy Paradigm 7se large bookshelfs at a thrift store. $17 with taxes in. They cleaned up beautifully and sound fantastic. The Energy units I will be moving along; The Paradigm's are going nowhere any time soon.
Hi. I just picked up a pair of esm 1's in showroom condition for 80's(fair price I thought). I remember them from back in the day and remember they really used to "pop". I've been very disappointed and I'm wondering what your experience is. Do you think they just maybe need a recap, or am I being unfair comparing them a\b to my polk monitors and my paradigms?

I was given some Altec Monterrey Jrs, Epicure M50 for $14.99 and Snell IIs for $14.99. I hit the thrift stores around here pretty hard but it's hard to find this stuff around here. I never buy to re-sell, this stuff is for me!

KLH 17s paid something like 75 for the pair because both of the cabinets were rough (scratches paint splatter etc). Took them home sanded and oiled them took maybe 15 minutes of work. It's honestly one of those cases where I don't get why the vintage audio shop doesn't just get some Old English and fine grit sandpaper. Would have cost them barely anything and would have nearly doubled the value. Eventually decided to stain them for the heck of it.

IMG_6819.JPG IMG_7174.JPGIMG_7611.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6847.JPG
    IMG_6847.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I think the allure of low priced, older speakers is what drew me into the realm of audio. I frequent lots of estate/garage sales but competition is always steep for vintage audio gear. When i'm not pressured to make a purchase, ill pick up stuff at my leisure.

In the past 6 months, i've acquired the following:

2 pairs of AR2-ax, $75.00 per pair, all 4 needed refoaming/caps
2 mismatched KLH Model 6's, early production w/ oil caps, $10.00 each, perfect working cond.
1 Cerwin Vega studio monitor $20.00, works perfect
1 pair of JBL Lancer 77's, $40.00, refoam/recap and tweeter rebuild. I'm learning off these

I"ve only just started so ill be buying much more in the future.

Last edited:
Spica SC-50s in excellent condition. I won the auction on Shopgoodwill and then did some reading up on them. I was very impressed with their sound and their history!
A

Landed these today for a cpl gift certificates to my restaurants. Excited to hear them.

Attachments

• 20180215_155835.jpg
    20180215_155835.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180215_155706.jpg
    20180215_155706.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 25
M&K SV-200B = $50 back in 2013...I restored them and they've been my main speakers ever since. Many well known speakers have come and gone since then, but the SV-200's aren't going anywhere!

M&K S-90 = $80 - one tweeter worked intermittently, was a bad solder joint, 10 minute fix. They sounded amazing. Just recently let these go.

Infinity RSII (the big ones) = free - I restored them and set them loose back into the wild.

Visonik David 7000's and Sub 1 = $35 - one tweeter is blown and the other tests low, awaiting a trip to Richard So.

JBL L5 = free - after selling the accompanying Onkyo HT receiver and Bose surround speakers. Perfect condition.

JBL L55 Lancer, single = free - awaiting restoration.

Those are the main scores under $100 that I can remember over the years.

Whats your best speaker score under $100 bucks? can be any size, age, brand, etc and put how much you paid, and let's see who got the best deal ever!
:banana::banana::banana:
Pics optional:D

PSB Amazing Alpha bookshelves, $10
PSB Alpha BS $100
Paradigm Phantoms with stands $50
Paradigm Atoms $30
Sansui SP X6000 TRaded for a dartboard
Jensen Moldel 20s with stands, $40
PSB 800 floorstanders $60
I hate you :)

Klipschorns $20.00 Thrift
JBL Balzillay ( not sure about the spelling) with a Fisher 400 and Teac 2340 RTR $40.00 gs
Bozak 302's ( mint ) $59.95 . thrift
Ar 2 AX ( Minty ) $30.00 Estate sale
JBL L166 $59.95 almost mint. thrift
Vandersteen 2c $75.00 Salvation Army
Frazier model 7 $60.00 Mint. Estate sale
All speakers are in pairs
I am sure there are more, but I can not remember.
Also there are 2 prominent ones that I paid a little over the $100.00 limit.
Altec A7's $139.00 thrift good condition
Polk SRS 1.2 $120.00 good condition. Estate sale.
One that got away was a JBL Olympus System Barzillay with C 51 speakers and some Marantz amp inside. $100.00. I missed it by about 1 minute, and it made me sick for about a week.

Klipschorns $20.00 Thrift
JBL Balzillay ( not sure about the spelling) with a Fisher 400 and Teac 2340 RTR $40.00 gs
Bozak 302's ( mint ) $59.95 . thrift
Ar 2 AX ( Minty ) $30.00 Estate sale
JBL L166 $59.95 almost mint. thrift
Vandersteen 2c $75.00 Salvation Army
Frazier model 7 $60.00 Mint. Estate sale
All speakers are in pairs
I am sure there are more, but I can not remember.
Also there are 2 prominent ones that I paid a little over the $100.00 limit.
Altec A7's $139.00 thrift good condition
Polk SRS 1.2 $120.00 good condition. Estate sale.
One that got away was a JBL Olympus System Barzillay with C 51 speakers and some Marantz amp inside. $100.00. I missed it by about 1 minute, and it made me sick for about a week.

This is all complete BS unless you can provide absolute proof. Klipschorns for $20? Not on this planet.

044916C4-7CD3-474F-986D-AF515B7C0B55.jpeg C75BB91F-3299-4A7A-9BE2-FC87304C1E6F.jpeg 3F4994F6-3D27-44F7-B918-FD11841E1E61.jpeg 3CAC2E86-C8E2-45FD-B311-78CF1F935780.jpeg Snagged a pair of Wharfdale W60e’s last summer for $40 at a flea market in Arkansas. Magnetic grills work, original emblems. A few scuffs but overall decent shape

And then my wife found a pair of AR 18b’s at a yard sale for $6. They need re-coned

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom