Table top am/fm radios

rxonmymind

Anyone use one still?
My wife just started her new job and asked if I could look for a radio. So off I went to research! After what I think was a pretty thorough review between this and the Tivoli I decided on a Sangean WR-SE11 40th anniversary radio. While most went new for $159+ I got lucky and snagged one for $110 with a Bluetooth adapter to fit in the back aux input for those times my wife wants to stream Pandora. Total $130.
I'm digging the rotary dial knob.
download.jpeg

wr11-02-2.jpg

Love the vintage look of these....
My earliest memory of any stereo being four at the time was Dad's reel to reel stereo system. But the one that made an impression on me was over on a table was this HUGE gigantic radio. A Zenith trans Atlantic "Ocean" radio. I was fascinated with it's fold out feature and a picture of what I thought was the world. It neatly tucked away to become a suitcase. It was awesome that it transformed like that.

Love to see yours. Small or big. A table top radio.
Cheers.

Last edited:
I had a Tivoli Model 2 for the longest time - actually a little ticked that I eventually sold it. I might buy a Model 1 or a Sangean when we move to our new place and have room for a radio to go with the Amazon Dot in the kitchen.

This is our kitchen radio -- I am very happy with it. I especially like the fact that it has a "hot" AM tuner. I can receive WBZ-AM in Boston (120 miles away) even in the daytime. I just have to make sure the LED lights in the kitchen are turned off, otherwise the RFI hash wipes it out :)

71aXC-GepuL._SL1000_.jpg

http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=153

The Tivoli basic FM radio is very nice, too. Do they still make it?
Our daughter has a Tivoli PAL we got her when she matriculated into college (2002) -- she and her husband still use it regularly.

I've owed every model of GE Super Radio and they are great radios. Have a model 2 & 3 now and the only way I'd sell one is if I found a nicer one. I've bought them as cheap as 5 bucks. They'll take a good bit of abuse and keep on ticking.

I have a Tivoli model one, and while I like the retro looks, especially the dial, I find the sound colored and muted overall. I have 2 GE Superadios bought new that I wouldn’t give up for love nor money. The sound and reception are outstanding.

image.jpg
GE.....Model No. 7-2810H
Rat shack sold these in the early seventies and it is a favorite for taking to a picnic or Bar-B-Q because of how good it sounds. Pulls in staitions like a good tuner and has a broad spectrum of frequencies.

Nakamichi TM-1. Clock radio with a separate external speaker that had time display and alarm shutoff.

I have a Tivoli 1 made in 2001 in the bedroom. It gets 20 minutes run time in the morning, and that's about it. I think it sounds real nice for a tiny speaker. It looks great. I opened it up once just to look around, and thought the construction was pretty flimsy.

I also have a GE Monitor 10 that I use in the bathroom. It's a beast.

I have a Bose Wave, Tivoli One, and KLH. All sound great. These days I think having an Aux in is critical to future-proof your purchase. I have Amazon Echo dots sitting on top of the Bose Wave and Tivoli. The KLH just sits because of no Aux :( .

I went to town on a Sony High Fidelity ICF-9650W AM/FM. In aged stock form it wasnt too great. Replaced the amp IC, wires, resistors with 1% metal films, caps with Fine Gold/Silmic and all transistors. Couldnt believe the sound, comparable to CD quality. Best table radio I ever heard.

sony-radio.jpg

I have a Bose Wave, Tivoli One, and KLH. All sound great. These days I think having an Aux in is critical to future-proof your purchase. I have Amazon Echo dots sitting on top of the Bose Wave and Tivoli. The KLH just sits because of no Aux :( .

I can definitely relate to that. The KLH resides in the basement getting occasional use. I would put it in the kitchen if it had an aux, but it doesn't. Has anyone used an FM transmitter as an aux?

Back
Top Bottom