Idler wheel turntable opinions

I'm listening to the new Shelby Lynne, Allison Moorer album now on my rumble free Dual 1019. I bough it several years ago from Bill known here as "bohhey" who has fixmydual.com. I've bought a 701 and 1229 from Bill also and love all three. I use a Shure V15-II with a Jico elliptical stylus on the 1019. The 1019 is used with my restored Harman Kardon A500 Integrated tube amp and restored KLH Model 5 speakers.

I'm listening to the new Shelby Lynne, Allison Moorer album now on my rumble free Dual 1019. I bough it several years ago from Bill known here as "bohhey" who has fixmydual.com. I've bought a 701 and 1229 from Bill also and love all three. I use a Shure V15-II with a Jico elliptical stylus on the 1019. The 1019 is used with my restored Harman Kardon A500 Integrated tube amp and restored KLH Model 5 speakers.
Classic and sweet vintage system!

@ssmith3046, that's quite a cool list of Duals. I have a 1229 I am working on restoring now. Your lineup is exactly the same as what I would like to own in time :) . Great minds ....

@ssmith3046, that's quite a cool list of Duals. I have a 1229 I am working on restoring now. Your lineup is exactly the same as what I would like to own in time :) . Great minds ....
Thanks. I use the 701 in a McIntosh solid state system and out of the three Dual's that I own it's the top performer IMO. Not that I would ever get rid of the 1229 or 1019. :)

Update:
Thanks to all for sharing your opinions and information about idler drive turntables. I bought a Dual 1229 after these discussions, and just bought a Kenwood (Trio) KP-5021 today.
You guys rock!View attachment 1105388
I saw your Kenwood kp-5021.. very nice. I have one as well. This is the bestvturntable I’ve ever owned. They are very rare and were made for the Japanese market. A few were brought back by servicemen and tourists in very low numbers. I’ve had my for about 3 years and have only heard of one other.
I have been unable to find and specs or information about the tonearm and what the specs are such as overhang, effective length, etc.
When I found mine, I’d been thru a lot of turntables and this is by far the quietest, most beautiful best sounding table I’ve had.
Good luck.

WOW! I'm really glad to hear this. I don't even have mine set up yet. I need to install a cartridge.
I've been looking for info too, and found almost none.
Thanks for your comments!

I saw your Kenwood kp-5021.. very nice. I have one as well. This is the bestvturntable I’ve ever owned. They are very rare and were made for the Japanese market. A few were brought back by servicemen and tourists in very low numbers. I’ve had my for about 3 years and have only heard of one other.
I have been unable to find and specs or information about the tonearm and what the specs are such as overhang, effective length, etc.
When I found mine, I’d been thru a lot of turntables and this is by far the quietest, most beautiful best sounding table I’ve had.
Good luck.

WOW! I'm really glad to hear this. I don't even have mine set up yet. I need to install a cartridge.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Also, I repair and restore Duals and many other brands. If you have questions about it, feel free. At this point, you have already found a wealth of assistance here. Have fun.

The KP-5021 has been referred to as a little Thorens TD-124.

I have had a few Duals, most recently, a 1209 and a 1019. I prefer the 1019 to the 1219. There is something about all those metal gears, the very heavy platter, and the huge motor that I really prefer. It takes no time to spin up and takes forever to stop spinning! I am planning on installing it into an MCM cabinet I have in teak from 1958 along with a MA6200 and an AIWA M700B cassette deck. It'll also be connected to an airport express.

IMG_1389.JPG IMG_1382.JPG

Nice!
I have had a few Duals, most recently, a 1209 and a 1019. I prefer the 1019 to the 1219. There is something about all those metal gears, the very heavy platter, and the huge motor that I really prefer. It takes no time to spin up and takes forever to stop spinning! I am planning on installing it into an MCM cabinet I have in teak from 1958 along with a MA6200 and an AIWA M700B cassette deck. It'll also be connected to an airport express.

View attachment 1105757 View attachment 1105779
Nice! I like it

Definitely has more resources for upgrades. Love the table.

I haven't fixed mine up yet, but the bearing could give the L75 some competition. ;)
I don't think I've even seen a Lenco, but they sure are highly regarded.

I don't think I've even seen a Lenco, but they sure are highly regarded.

A lot has to do with the heavy platter and quiet idler operation when tweaked from the stock setup..
Lenco heaven can help anyone with a lenco bring it up to snuff. The mechanics are quite simple.

index.php

Update:
Thanks to all for sharing your opinions and information about idler drive turntables. I bought a Dual 1229 after these discussions, and just bought a Kenwood (Trio) KP-5021 today.
You guys rock!View attachment 1105388

Congratulations on that Kenwood KP-5021!

I have a similar Japanese TD124 clone - the PC350.PC350-1.jpg
The tonearm is massive enough to balance my SPU! Thus the Sumiko HS12 + DL103 needed a penny ballast in this picture. I haven't done much to it and it sounds good as-is.

Happy listening!

JE

Hello. Does anybody know a source of a belt for Kenwood/Trio turntable? I had bought two and they are too thick. Robert.

Congratulations on that Kenwood KP-5021!

I have a similar Japanese TD124 clone - the PC350.View attachment 1106828
The tonearm is massive enough to balance my SPU! Thus the Sumiko HS12 + DL103 needed a penny ballast in this picture. I haven't done much to it and it sounds good as-is.

Happy listening!

JE
Nice! Looks a LOT like mine!

I understand these are grease bearing turntables as are the early Garrards.
Can anyone here educate me about how grease bearing turntables work versus plain or sleeve bearings?
Is the grease likely have dried out?
Thanks in advance again for any advice!

Back
Top Bottom