Post a pic of your Electronics Bench

Typically, DOA means Dead On Arrival. Kaput. Not Operating.
Another reason I like the old Tektronics scopes is that they help keep my shop warm. :D
Oh yes. I once worked at a radar site that had huge air conditioning and heating systems. They were "played" against each other to provide very precise relative humidity control.

Every now and then the boiler would trip off during the night, and at 7:30 AM starting time the place was a cold storage meat locker. The A/C had to stay on so we could support the range.

We would all scramble to the supply room and check out 545's. Once I had three 545's and a 575 surrounding my desk.

Tek made the best scopes ever, and obviously were quite versatile.

Last edited:
I see that I am not the only one who works standing up, not sitting in a chair (I see many benches with shelves or things under the table, no room for legs and a chair)

having all that stuff, would be assume
it just not right! all i have is multi meter and a solder iron.
Yeah, but a multimeter covers about 95% of all the troubleshooting I do.

Just need the other stuff for signal tracing, waveform analysis, and AM/FM alignment.

I see that I am not the only one who works standing up, not sitting in a chair (I see many benches with shelves or things under the table, no room for legs and a chair)
I've never been one to sit at the bench; I do enough sitting at the computer, driving etc.

I will sit if I have to do a lot of soldering/desoldering, for instance if changing out all the outputs in an amp.

erKshuD.jpg

My wife is a patient woman.

My old bench was designed with a stool in mind, but I found myself standing more often than not. Seems like it’s just easier for me and maybe others as well. :D

I have a shop stool that I might sit on if I have a lot of intricate board work to do. But generally yes, probably 85% of the time I stand. Only my test equipment and soldering stuff is within reach anyway. All of my parts and tools are kinda spread out. So if I sit down, I just have to keep getting up, lol.

I designed the bench to be used most comfortably in the standing position.

Another reason I like the old Tektronics scopes is that they help keep my shop warm. :D

This are the winners in the cathegory room heating.

Gold: a Tektronix 517 can eat 1,3kW :)
Silver: a Tektronix 555 "Triple Nickel" needs 1kW
Bronce: various: Tek551 Dual Beam, also Tek556 Dual Beam, want to have 850 Watts

happy glowing.
Martin

Tek555, plugged with 2x CA it runs 117 tubes
A pair of them is very compatible to an electric furnace.

555-3.jpg

Last edited:
:D
So I've been collecting a few new toys and recently got them calibrated and ready to go, so I finally decided it was time to rearrange the bench. Still deciding if I want to keep it this way, but here is my current bench setup.

cp2CzWa.jpg
Love the wallpaper on the left. :D

Matt, did you get the 8903B calibrated?

:D
Love the wallpaper on the left. :D

Matt, did you get the 8903B calibrated?

Hey, HEY, just what are you trying to say, huh?? :D But seriously, I need to remove that wallpaper, just been procrastinating. It's leftover from the previous owner of the house, and they had very poor taste in wallpaper.

I have not yet calibrated the 8903, just the 8175. The 8903 seems to be pretty close, and looping it back into itself with a 1KHz @ 1V signal and the 80KHz low pass on gives me a reading of around .002% distortion. I can get it to about .0014% with the overhead lamp off. Not too shabby.

Back
Top Bottom