Anyone Using Sony Cameras?

The Sony battery that came with mine was a good one, but I bought an off-brand spare a few years ago with a portable charger that was lousy. I don't even think you could eek 70-80 shots out of it. This past summer though, I bought a RAVpower 2-pack of batteries with a micro-USB port charger, making it easy to use in the car, and those batteries seem to last just about as long as the Sony. So I start the day with three fully charged batteries ready to go and rotate as needed.

I didn't care for the short battery life but always carried extras. With the A7RIII the battery life is greatly improved. I did buy a spare, but the way I shoot I doubt if I will exhaust one in a days outing. It will still go along, just in case.

I didn't care for the short battery life but always carried extras. With the A7RIII the battery life is greatly improved. I did buy a spare, but the way I shoot I doubt if I will exhaust one in a days outing. It will still go along, just in case.
I bought a spare, as well. I like having one I can trade out while the other is charging.

I use to be a Nikon guy, but secretly always admired the Sony technology after using my ex-gfs dad's Sony a lot in the mid 2000s. Since 3 years ago I coverted to Sony and haven't looked back. I'm a fan of the A7s series... I rarely feel the need for more pixels, and prefer the low-noise and ability to handle a range of light situations simply.

Two different Sonys. I used Canons for years but don't miss them, except for their superior battery life. I always got close to 1000 shots with my last two Canon EOS bodies and am lucky to get 400 with either of my Sonys. Still, that's a minor bitch as extra batteries are small and not expensive.
I've added a new Sony RX100 to the collection.

I think you gotta have two batteries these days, with pretty much all mirrorless cameras. Maybe you rarely need the second, but it's awful nice to have it just in case.

I think you gotta have two batteries these days, with pretty much all mirrorless cameras. Maybe you rarely need the second, but it's awful nice to have it just in case.
My new (to me) A77-II came with an off-brand battery that actually holds a good charge. I went through three genuine Sony batteries though--one barely held a charge, but the others seem OK. (They were new old stock.) I like to carry at least two charged batteries anytime I'm shooting a lot, and always have one or two on the chargers. Since there were poor choices for USB-powered chargers for these batteries, I use a 120V inverter in the car and a power strip for the chargers.

Yeah batteries are hit or miss for sure. I have four, and I'm pretty sure they are all genuine, but one doesn't hold a charge well at all. I'm lucky to get 150-200 shots out of it.

I'll admit to having more than one battery for each of my Sony's. My problem is, I'll pack them in the bag to go out shooting and forget to take one with me when I finally get to my destination. The bag is left in the trunk of the car with the battery inside it. The car is usually a fairly long walk from where I'm shooting.
(sigh) So I either hump it back to the car for the spare battery, or, just claim that I'm outa film and am done shooting for the day.

Batteries are always on my mental checklist, so I try to take at least one extra fully charged battery if I'm going to be away from the car for a few hours. I bought a newer camera case that has pockets for SD cards and batteries, so it's almost a reminder for me to check that I have a battery. Since mine is still a DSLR and not a mirrorless, it probably consumes more energy to run the camera.

I really should get a photography belt, though. Somewhere I can carry an extra lens or two. I have used a locking carabiner clip on my padded lens carriers but I don't have a good way to carry them.

I'll admit to having more than one battery for each of my Sony's. My problem is, I'll pack them in the bag to go out shooting and forget to take one with me when I finally get to my destination. The bag is left in the trunk of the car with the battery inside it. The car is usually a fairly long walk from where I'm shooting.
(sigh) So I either hump it back to the car for the spare battery, or, just claim that I'm outa film and am done shooting for the day.

That happened to me a couple months ago when I went on a Dolphin cruise on vacation. My spare batteries were in my camera bag in the car. I should have put a fresh battery in before we went out. I wound up just making it battery wise, but it was very close.

One of my purchases of a Canon SD1000 included a small carrying case for that camera. I don't keep them in cases so repurposed the case to carry my A7ii spares. It'll hold 5 of them no problem.IMG_0010.JPG

Back
Top Bottom