Orlando recommendations

ajward549

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Good Morning AK crew

I am traveling to Orlando this week for a work conference and was wondering if anyone could give me audio-related suggestions of things to do. Record shops, hifi stores, live venues, I'm looking for stuff to do!

Most people come here for the attractions, Disney, Islands of Adventure, Bush Gardens, the Beaches, charter fishing, airboat rides that kind of things. As far as music, I don't know of much in Orlando, but down to Tampa there is Banana Records which I think is the largest records store in the world or so they say. Music venues its the Amway center has concerts all the time, The house of Blues, and in Point Orlando there is a place called BB King Blues Place which is a dinner show which I have been to and I thought it was pretty good.

http://bbkings.com/orlando/

Most people come here for the attractions, Disney, Islands of Adventure, Bush Gardens, the Beaches, charter fishing, airboat rides that kind of things. As far as music, I don't know of much in Orlando, but down to Tampa there is Banana Records which I think is the largest records store in the world or so they say. Music venues its the Amway center has concerts all the time, The house of Blues, and in Point Orlando there is a place called BB King Blues Place which is a dinner show which I have been to and I thought it was pretty good.

http://bbkings.com/orlando/
Thank you Ken - no Disney stuff for me, only in town for two days and kids aren't coming.

A

Look up East - West Records on S. Orange Ave. I am not sure if they exist any more, but they used to be a great store. Another great place to go is to Randall's Knives on S. Orange Blossom Trail. Randall's has been making hand forged knives for a long time. Some of their knives went to space with the Apollo flights. Look on eBay for Randall Knives and see what kind of work they do. They have a wonderful knife museum on the property. The Orlando area is hell to get around; so I wish you luck.

Thanks again everyone, I can always count on the AK community to give some great suggestions of places to check out when I travel.

East West in Winter Park is long gone. The original store on S. Orange Avenue is still open for business except Sundays. Roman and Hannah have been the owners since the early 70's. and one or the other will be at the counter if you walk in.

Rock N Roll Heaven is pretty nice; I bought a few items there myself.

Unfortunately, as far as audio is concerned hi end audio (and related stuff) is a vast wasteland... At least beside the "usual" venues (Best Buy, etc.)

Unfortunately, as far as audio is concerned hi end audio (and related stuff) is a vast wasteland... At least beside the "usual" venues (Best Buy, etc.)
Isn’t that the truth almost everywhere though? We have no hifi shops here either.

Besides, hi end is out of this guys budget!

Isn’t that the truth almost everywhere though? We have no hifi shops here either.

Besides, hi end is out of this guys budget!
Most of my stuff is either used or stuff I traded in, so I save bucks that way. I think Portland OR and Seattle still have healthy hi end stores - used good stuff is a great way to score nice stuff I lived in the Pacific Northwest years ago.

Most of my stuff is either used or stuff I traded in, so I save bucks that way. I think Portland OR and Seattle still have healthy hi end stores - used good stuff is a great way to score nice stuff I lived in the Pacific Northwest years ago.
I sure missed out when I went to Portland a few years ago, hope to make it back! Seattle would be great too, if my research keeps getting accepted for presentation I might get to check these places out!

I sure missed out when I went to Portland a few years ago, hope to make it back! Seattle would be great too, if my research keeps getting accepted for presentation I might get to check these places out!
If you get back to pdx check out Fred’s Sound of Music and Echo Audio. I don’t know if Stereotypes is still there... eclectic store. Had nice stuff and the first female sales person I encountered in audio!

Not much in Orlando but there are a couple of good audio shops in Daytona and Ormond beach. Another in Melbourne and also Sarasota. I have been to some demo events at most of them and they carry some pretty high end gear.

Back
Top Bottom