Sansui 2000x Phono Stage

MtnBeachBum

Hello AKers. I presently have a Sansui 2000x receiver that i like a lot. I have been actively searching for an integrated amp to eventually replace it because i am only really interested in how the phono stage sounds as I don’t use the tuner anyways. I have recently purchased a Marantz 1060 amp that is quite nice but I haven’t yet properly compared its phono stage to the 2000x. Going to try and get to it this weekend.
I just met a guy who has quite a bit of equipment he is looking to trade/sell and he gave me a list of the receivers he has. I am okay with having a receiver until I can find the right vintage integrated as long as it has a great phono stage.
He has Sansuis G-5700, 6700, 7700 and 7070, 8080, and 9090. Also, Pioneers SX-880, 950, 980, and 1050. Is there one of these receivers that sticks out as having a significantly better phono section than the 2000x?
Sorry for nutty long post!

My guess is that the 7070, 8080, and 9090 would have invested much more in the phono section. I have a 999 and the phono section (to me) is fairly....meh.......

I have an AU-X1 that will hopefully get repaired soon, the phono section in that amp is epic. So yea, some Sansuis have average phono sections, some have great ones.

What's the problem with the 2000x?

I have to agree, it is a great receiver with a decent amount of power, great looks, a good phono stage, and you can use it as a preamp with your power amp of choice if you wanted to upgrade. I had mine paired with a Mitsubishi DA-A10DC, and I've never heard that amp sound as good as it did paired with the 2000x!

What's the problem with the 2000x?

I have to agree, it is a great receiver with a decent amount of power, great looks, a good phono stage, and you can use it as a preamp with your power amp of choice if you wanted to upgrade. I had mine paired with a Mitsubishi DA-A10DC, and I've never heard that amp sound as good as it did paired with the 2000x!
There is nothing wrong it. I am going to look at a bunch of turntables this guy has for sale this weekend and he mentioned he also has quite a few receivers so I was wanting to know if there was one that has a better phono stage than the 2000x.

The 2000 has a bit of an underground following. Conradh has a an article to make it better (if you can wield a soldering iron). For a few bucks in parts and a couple of hours it makes it a real sleeper. Mine doesn't get much playing time. I should pull it out and do the update (i've had the box of bits for a while now) . At the very least it could pull shop time when i'm working on other things. Larry D said it challenges some of hish Fisher tube gear (pretty high praise).
(reasonably sure i haven't played any vinyl through it. I have no reason to believe it won't do well)

The biggest weakness mine had was the Tuner section. Mind you, mine was stock and was probably due for some updates. I have no criticism for its phono section. Much better than many, and way better than most for the price point. I used the phono quite a bit on mine.

IMO, Sansui knew how to build a tuner section that was second to none, at least in that timeframe. They do, however suffer from the same age-related stuff that everything does. The 2000x is often full of the dreaded 458 transistors that go noisy and weird, often on the tone board. Replacing the transistors and caps on the tone board is the best thing you can do for one. Specific to the OP, the phono section has two small caps, probably solid aluminum or tantalum, that should be replaced. Might as well do the rest while in there. The phono section transistors should not be replaced unless they have a noise problem, as the circuit is a bit gain sensitive. IMO, it has a decent phono section, probably similar to any other receiver. I'll put on my flame-proof Nomex underwear and tell you what I really think on the whole subject of phono amps. Almost all receivers and many preamps used a 2 or 3 transistor RIAA circuit. There's only so much one can do with that topology, and the better ones are all pretty similar. A decent modern opamp circuit will beat those circuits in every way possible, including noise, being smooth and sweet and having a perfectly accurate RIAA curve. Have a look at the CNC circuit published on this site, or the National app note that came out when the LME parts came out, this one- http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snaa046a/snaa046a.pdf A well equipped junk box plus about $20 in parts will get you a preamp second to none. That alone is a good reason to learn DIY.

edit- I recently worked on a 2000x that had a bad amp in the IF section. That definitely kills your sensitivity! Not sure how common it is, but it does happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom