1080P Sony looks better than 4K Sony

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Did I get ripped off? I've had a Sony 60" 1080P HDTV for about 3-4 years, really liked it, but got the 4K bug. I got a Sony 60" KD-60X690E last week. Set it up and been playing with the settings, been kinda disappointed with it. I don't have any 4k media yet except streaming over cable. The 1080P on HD cable just looks better to me. Better color, contrast, detail, just everything. What am I doing wrong?

Where was the last Sony made? And where is this Sony made? Maybe the quality standards have dramatically been reduced....
If everything is hooked up the exact same way the old television was and you're experiencing this.... It makes me wonder what other things could it be?
Get yourself the Sony UDP X800 and then test ....... Does the cable connection use HDMI with the new standards for 4K?.. the transfer 4K requires better cables that you may not have acquired?

I have a Toshiba 4K up-scaling player for know. I would say they are both close as far as BD quality & both look great with 4K streaming. It just seems to be the HD & SD cable where the 4k Sony fall short.

4K is good....but You'll reap much greater PQ with your set's HDR capability than 4K.

I assume you've played with the picture settings. Have you? It can be daunting as one setting can queen others. It's a good TV....you just need to get it dialed in. Also, which HDMI port are you using for main viewing?

HDR is only available on ports 2 & 3 from what I've read.

Last edited:
Using the ARC HDMI input. As of now I mostly watch cable. I thought it would look at least as good as my 1080P TV. :dunno:

I'm using port 3 with ARC. So far I can only stream 4K & HDR content. The option menu shows if it is receiving HDR video. So not all streams that say HDR are doing so over my cable. (Xfinity)

Dunno if this helps but here are some of my observations. Make of it what you will.

I picked up a Vizio D series (non HDR) 55" 4k TV. I watch it from about 8' from the sceen.

Also, I i picked up a Sony UBP-X800 4k player

I run the X800 through a Marantz SR5100 AVR with the monitor output to the Vizio.

Using a UHD disc (Valerian), I'm not really sure I can discern too much of a difference in quality from a regular well recorded Blu-Ray disc.

Make of that what you will.

Anytime you double pixel count and resolution, the picture will be softer and more natural. This takes a bit of time for the eyes to adjust. I had my Samsung 1080p plasma dialed and it looked stunning. It died and the repair was uneconomical. I replaced it with a 75" Sony with HDR and a full active array.

At first, I was unimpressed. Then I disabled the scaler in my AVP on the outside chance the TV's scaler was better. Oh boy is it. My next upgrade will be to buy an Oppd UHD Bluray player to replace the Oppo BDP-103.

I have had Sony 1080 LED in the past and even now that looked great with a 1080 native source but less than ideal with 720 and 480. I'm wondering if this is the case here. 4K as its native format may be beautiful and 1080 less so. My 480 MVP player connected through component cables feeding my Elite looks very good. But with some signals I found by running the component cables through my latest MX HT processor and up converting and then sent to the display via HDMI look even better. My Laser disc and S vhs really look much much better than ever being up scaled by the MX 151 and sent to the 151 plasma. But I do use a different mode on the display to allow for some more corrections.

Ok. Forgot to mention I have an Onkyo TX-RZ900 receiver. Top of line 4K receiver just a year old. Bought 6' 4K premium stickered HDMI cable. Bought a LG UP-875 4K player. After watching several 4K movies, I'm a little confused. I've seen many of my BD discs at the theater and I almost always thought the 1080p BD's looked sharper, more saturated in color, more contasty than at the theater on my 1080p setup. To me the 4k movies look more like what I see at theaters. Not that they lack detail in well lit scenes, But have less contrast in darker scenes, background less sharp, less saturation of colors. What gives?

Last edited:
Ok. Forgot to mention I have an Onkyo TX-RZ900 receiver. Top of line 4K receiver just a year old. Bought 6' 4K premium stickered HDMI cable. Bought a LG UP-875 4K player. After watching several 4K movies, I'm a little confused. I've seen many of my BD discs at the theater and I almost always thought the 1080p BD's looked sharper, more saturated in color, more contasty than at the theater on my 1080p setup. To me the 4k movies look more like what I see at theaters. Not that they lack detail in well lit scenes, But have less contrast in darker scenes, background less sharp, less saturation of colors. What gives?

Did you check to make sure that all your inputs are hdcp 2.2 compliant? Because if only one of your inputs are and you don't have your hdmi cable plugged into the one that is hdcp 2.2 compliant then you won't making full use of 4k and hdr.

Audiofreak71

Yes I checked. But going into set up I found a HDMI setting for Standard & Enhanced. It did seem to help with the 4k discs. Now I went to Best Buy to see their Sony 4K tv's. They had my model setting next to a 65" higher end model. It was so much brighter & sharper. The sales rep tried to tell me the 690e did not actually decode HDR signals, because it was just an entry level 4K. Anyone heard of that?

menu option for HDMI
  1. Press AMP MENU.
  2. Select [<HDMI>] - [SIGNAL FMT.] on the display panel.
  3. Select the input name you want to apply the setting.
  4. Select the setting you want.
    • STANDARD: If you do not receive high resolution 4K signals, select [STANDARD].
    • ENHANCED: If you want to receive high resolution 4K signals, such as 4K/60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4K/60p 4:2:0 10 bit, etc., select [ENHANCED].

Last edited:
My question is, was the rep just trying to sell me a higher price set. Should have got the remote and see what the settings were.

Back
Top Bottom