Specific Streamer recommendations.

kink56

Okay let me start by saying:
1. I do NOT have a smart phone. (don't plan on getting one)
2. I do not download music, rip CDs or have a NAS for music. I don't have any music stored on my computer.
3. I subscribe to Pandora and am interested in Spotify and TIdal. Also internet radio.
4. I use a WIFI connection.

I have had bluray players from $50 to $1200 where I can navigate and choose Pandora (for example) it will sign me in and it will automatically start playing the mix of all the stations I have built on my account. I do NOT need a tablet or smartphone. I can do some cumbersome tasks via the remote, like select ONE station or select "mix" but I use my laptop to make modifications to my Pandora stations. But I certainly do not need a computer to play Pandora on my stereo via the bluray player.

Every streamer I have seen REQUIRES a smartphone or iPad app to select the streaming service and control online music streaming, even those steamers with detailed screens and remotes.

I am looking for a music streamer that has Pandora, Tidal and Spotify built in where after having paid for the service subscription, set up the parameters on my computer, I can access these music streaming services via WIFI and control them via the supplied remote and built in screen on the streamer itself. WITHOUT A SMARTPHONE or TABLET, just like a $50 bluray player can with the assistance of a TV screen.

I know that I will also get the ability to play music stored on my computer, hard drive, and all kinds of features I will never use, but that is okay.

Question is: Is there such a music streamer out there? I just want to turn on my stereo and streamer, select the music streaming service I want to listen to, and hit play. (or select a station and then hit play). Can it be done?

The Marantz ND 8006 intrigues me because it also has a CD player, but I am pretty sure I need a smartphone or tablet to control streaming services on that unit too. I also like the Cambridge Azur, it has a nice screen but I think I STILL need a smartphone , right?

Last edited:
Tidal MQA can only be done from a computer (Tidal player app) and if you want 24/192 MQA you need a DAC that can unfold that as well.

I use a laptop. USB to DAC. It can stream anything.

Eric

Okay. Not having Tidal is not a deal breaker. So, as long as I have a laptop I could play Pandora and Spotify via WIFI on the Cambridge CXN? I do not want to connect my computer via USB into the streamer. I want everything connected to my network via WIFI.

I guess what I am now asking is as long as I have a laptop Win10 will various music streamers work via WIFI without having to connect my laptop via USB to the streamer? I am wanting variety when listening to background music. I reserve my serious listening for my 5000 CDs and CD player.

Whereas I can play Pandora through my bluray, I want to play it through my music streamer via WIFI connection to my laptop which will also give me access to internet radio and Spotify (once I pay for a subscription).

I need to have a complete tutorial on digital streamers. I would like to have at least Spotify, Pandora and internet radio and only have to use the supplied remote and my laptop all connected via WIFI.

Sonos Connect has a PC app, though it’s a bit dated, as the vast majority of their customers use smartphones, and increasingly voice.

I think their competitors, BlueSound, Denon and Yamaha might have PC control apps, but not sure, and they don’t support nearly as many services (Sonos has all you mentioned and far more).

If you want to do voice control, a $50 Echo Dot is super, supports Deezer (very similar to Tidal), Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music, TuneIn and iHeartRadio tuners. I think You will need a phone or tablet to set it up, though maybe it can be done from your PC via browser.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago I picked up a small streamer unit by Crane called a CC WiFi
Not had time to actually use it yet, but it uses either wifi or a hard ethernet connection and then scans internet stations and I believe it does streaming services as well. I think there are similar units from Sangean. Seems to me when I was checking out the Crane there were a few different mfg making these types of units. So far I've only got to the point where the unit recognizes my internet service...

https://www.ccrane.com/item/rad_wifi_ccradio_n/102104/cc_wifi_internet_radio

At the risk of being all caps shouted down, is it too much to ask why you have such an adamant distain for not a aquiring and using a phone or tablet?

[DUCKSFORCOVER]

At the risk of being all caps shouted down, is it too much to ask why you have such an adamant distain for not a aquiring and using a phone or tablet?

[DUCKSFORCOVER]
Fair question.
I do not have either, and I do not want to pay for the service. And I would not want my smartphone on and running all the time I might be listening to Spotify. My cellphone service is even spottier than my internet service.

I see my Spotify on my computer has a button to search for a device such as a streamer to connect with the network. I like the Cambridge but they are not explicit in their manual about feasibility with a laptop via WiFi. If the Cambridge CXN v2 CAN work with the Spotify app via my laptop, then I will probably get it. But the manual only mentions Smartphone or tablet. My laptop DOES have a touch screen, if that matters.

I don't like the idea to play Spotify you have to buy a streamer (few blurays have Spotify) you have to buy a smartphone AND pay for the service. Regular cellphone service is much cheaper than smartphone service. Spotify is not worth paying for smartphone service and buying or leasing a smartphone. I do not want to be forced to buy a smartphone and the service to do things that would not require it if only these companies interfaced with PCs and windows.

Spotify can cast to Chromecast, so a Chromecast Audio would work for you. It's cheap, though sometimes temperamental.

you have to buy a smartphone AND pay for the service. Regular cellphone service is much cheaper than smartphone service.
Ok. But be aware that you do not need cell carrier service in order to use the smart phone as a controller. You can buy used smart phones in excellent condition at very affordable prices. Once on your wifi network....a whole world of possibilities open up. A $35 Chromecast audio or used Airport Express comes to mind.

Just consider it as an all in one remote. :)

Here's a trustworthy source.

https://buy.gazelle.com/gazelle-certified-electronics

On my laptop my Spotify app reads "Start Spotify on another device and it will magically appear here" I wonder if it would find the Cambridge CXN this way via WIFI? If so then I am home free.

Looks like that Cambridge unit supports Spotify Connect, so you should be good for Spotify.

Yes, but funny it does not mention it can be controlled through a PC and Windows 10. It only mentions smart phone or tablet. If it CAN be controlled through a laptop via WiFi you'd think they would mention it. Or is it such a basic thing that it can be assumed? Or is a laptop so passé that it is not even worth mentioning?

Ok. But be aware that you do not need cell carrier service in order to use the smart phone as a controller. You can buy used smart phones in excellent condition at very affordable prices. Once on your wifi network....a whole world of possibilities open up. A $35 Chromecast audio or used Airport Express comes to mind.

Just consider it as an all in one remote. :)

Here's a trustworthy source.

https://buy.gazelle.com/gazelle-certified-electronics

Yes... this is true. I have wifi at home and use an old smartphone which just connects to my home's wifi signal. No cell service needed. Just use your wifi to download Spotify/Pandora to the old smartphone and start playing music. You can buy the Chromecast Audio device for $35 and then use the phone to cast to the CCA. Or, run a cord from your phone's headphone jack to the AUX port on a receiver or input on a PC.

Good question. I haven't had a computer for several years. You can run Spotify on a cheap tablet like an Amazon Fire. Beats the heck out of a PC for this purpose, because you can control everything from the sweet spot. They are about $50.

I can play Spotify on my PC now. I have my PC in my office connected to my NAD C326BEE a pair of NHT Super One speakers and Allison Acoustics subwoofer. I don't need a streamer at all to play Spotify. But I DO need a streamer to play on my main system.

I want an audiophile streamer such as the Cambridge CXN or Marantz ND-8006 to connect to my main system in the living room. I am hoping either or both of these units can connect to my network via WIFI, which they can. BUT I do not know whether I would be able to use the laptop in my network to control either of these streamers without having to use the USB as my laptop is not in the same room. I am not looking for a cheap streamer, I am looking for something worthy of my $20,000 stereo, even though the streaming services offer lossless streaming and not CD quality, I still want a high end streamer.

I called Crutchfield and they simply read the information I can read on their site. I think the problem is so few people don't have a smartphone and no one is sure whether I can do what I want. Without connecting my laptop directly into the Cambridge via USB. It would take a 50 ft USB cable running down the hallway to connect my Laptop to my main stereo OR I would have to move my laptop back and forth just to use it on my stereo.

I can play Pandora through my stereo via my Blu-ray player, so that is covered. Neither my Oppo 95 nor my Samsung has Spotify.

A laptop does not have the sound quality I am looking for anyway. So even if I had my laptop close to my main system, I would not use it to play music through that system anyway.

Back
Top Bottom