Bastardized VOTTs

backinthelou

I am considering the opportunity of purchasing a pair of VOTTS. The woofers are 420A, which based on reading doesn't seem to be optimum for a VOTT. The horn drivers have also been replaced with smaller horn and 807-8A. It appears the crossovers are an off the shelf replacement. He has one set of 511 horns and a pair of the green horns. One horn of each of the pair has a chipped corner(substantial). The price is very reasonable. My question is: knowing these are very bastardized, am I way more behind than it's worth trying to get these correct? I know it's difficult to answer without telling the value, but any advice and words of wisdom are appreciated. I don't want to leave this guy hanging without an answer.
Thanks

I think you could find better examples of the Vott cabinet. I guess it depends on what he is asking for them and the condition of the cabinet and the rest of the parts. Have you tried listening to them? How do they sound?

Driving would be 2 hours each way. Cabs look very nice, albeit with amatuerish painting attempts. I’ve listened to VOTTs a couple times and am mesmerized each time. I’m somewhat experienced when it comes to researching and collecting, but very uneducated when it comes to different versions of this stuff. The price is easy enough to swallow and after getting them to A7 standards I think I would still be in below buying a pair outright. I’m just not familiar yet with the different drivers and crossovers.
I appreciate the input. That’s what I was looking for!

Thanks for the info 427. I suspected they were too cobbled together to make a good go at it. The guy lives 100 miles from me and was offering the "good" pair and the correct horns for less on FB marketplace. This is actually good for me, because the last thing I need right now is more projects after I've just FINALLY cleaned up my piles of excess gear. I've been planning a tri amp set up for a while and another project will just delay that again. I appreciate your input and knew this was the place for the correct answer!

Auction has ended with no bids, and no surprise. It's largely a truckload of junk(i didn't have the heart to tell the fella that posted it on the Altec board) and if he insists on selling it all as one lot, he needs to lower his price considerably. He's stored and moved all the cabinets on their tops so they'll be just and chipped and ground up as the bottoms obviously are, and they've been wicking moisture out of the floor for as long as they've been in that garage.

The pair that looks halfway decent, that seller claims have 420A's in them, those are either 421's or the 420A's were reconed as 421's.

Just so you are aware, a 420 is a wider range speaker with Altec's patened "bi-flex" cone that incorporates a mechanical crossover/mid compliance. Not an ideal candidate for use in a VOT.

Altec 420A:

1376140-altec-420a-biflex-15-alnico-speakers-drivers.jpg

I am a bit late to reply,bowtie is correct the a7 always had 515 or more common the 416 some folks put in 421 in as mostly for pa use
I have many 420 and love those drivers but they work well in large sealed cabs ,they would sound awkward in the a7 ,even if sealed the 140 hz flair would give it a strange mid bass hump,one of the more bizarre auctions,and sad to say some folks just cobble vintage altec stuff together and sell them as they get good $

Back
Top Bottom