Fisher 1800 Receiver Information thread and roll call

Another Fisher 1800 popped up on the auction site (no affiliation), looks like someone drilled a hole in the face for a replacement on / off switch at some point. :crazy:

Serial number will be documented in this thread and seems to fall into the assumed production number of 1,000 units. 51996 T

51564T - RS Steve
51611T - lithography
51674T - online
51692T - RS Steve
51694T - for sale online
51996T- online
51997T - Ivorydan
52127T - Tuna
52154T - Ivorydan
52293T - RS Steve
52406T - RS Steve
52468T - Dave451
52478T - coryo
?????? - Fisherdude

View attachment 1087100

I finally got around to digging mine out: 52167T.

While installing an IBAM board on one of my Fisher 1800 receivers, I noticed that some of these units were labeled as being equipped for overseas voltage, and others U.S. voltage. I need to inspect my others to see if all have the multi voltage transformers, or just some. One of my units have the voltage silk screened on the chassis, the other has both voltages with one being silk screened and the other stamped. It would be interesting to know how many different labels were used and if they all have the dual voltage transformer.
The last photo shows un Fisher like solder joints where the voltage change was most likely done, I'd be curious to know exactly how they did this. I will see if I can compare my 1800's to see if any are done differently.

20180322_091204.jpg 20180322_092904.jpg 20180321_202235.jpg

Interesting Steve. Did I hear before that the 1800's were sold in PX's on military bases? Maybe some were sold in USA PX's and some in overseas PX's? Just thinking out loud.....

Interesting Steve. Did I hear before that the 1800's were sold in PX's on military bases? Maybe some were sold in USA PX's and some in overseas PX's? Just thinking out loud.....
Yes, from what I have learned, there was only one batch of 1000 units produced for sale in PX's only. I'd like to know if they were all wired for overseas originally and then converted back, and if they were labeled differently at the time they were converted back. There was one person that owned an 1800 that told me his did not have a dual voltage transformer.

Pretty certain that all 1800s employed the same power transformer. Chassis voltage identification merely indicates how the transformer is wired. Early units likely started with the voltage silk screened on the chassis and became part of a run of units so wired for that voltage. Later units graduated to the voltage being separately stamped on to allow for greater flexibility in production. Just a thought.......

Dave

Pretty certain that all 1800s employed the same power transformer. Chassis voltage identification merely indicates how the transformer is wired. Early units likely started with the voltage silk screened on the chassis and became part of a run of units so wired for that voltage. Later units graduated to the voltage being separately stamped on to allow for greater flexibility in production. Just a thought.......

Dave
I very much appreciate your thoughts, just another interesting subject on these units I'd like to understand. It would be cool to have all the members that own them show how their 1800's are labeled.

Well, the AM RF tube did indeed give up the ghost on the bench and a new one resolved the AM reception issue. Put it all back together and here it is. What a beautiful beast! It's in the listening room on the "receiver bookcase" along with my Scott 340B, Dave G mods Fisher 400, and Scott 350B with 299B (the Scotts are idle right now--that's why the tuner is sitting atop the amp).

Right Beethoven Symphony No. 2 is playing from the local station (vinyl--I can hear the tiny pops and the album is warped very slightly--can hear the 'thump' every now and then). It is a mighty sound through the AR-4x speakers!

So, this one will stay in rotation for quite a while I think. Since replacing the weak 7591 output tube, the amp is sounding great biased about 35 mA cathode current per tube. I have a couple of ongoing questions, but I'll start another thread.

Dave

PS The mounting clamps covered up part of the warning label on the AM antenna; right now it says "Use As A Handle." I'll resist the temptation until I can get a "Do NOT…" on the label! :)

Wow...somehow I missed this one. Very nice and with box.

Steve, have you or anyone found an original owners manual for one? I know the service manual hasn't been found.

Last edited:
Actually it (Service Manual ) has. 51501 and up includes the 1800 per the front cover. Transformer strapping is covered on the same page as tube layout. It's on HIFIENGINE.

Larry

Wow...somehow I missed this one. Very nice and with box.

Steve, have you or anyone found an original owners manual for one? I know the service manual hasn't been found.
The owners manual is for an 800-C and service manual is as Larry explained. They didn't have an 1800 owners manual, probably since they only had the one run of 1000 units and they are basically an 800-C with very few differences.

Another tidbit of information to those owning 1800 receivers and wanting to install the IBAM mod, if you have new production Tung Sol 7591's, the very common board I have been using will need a slight modification as far as the resistor values go. The Tung Sols run extremely hot as Dave G. pointed out when he restored my first unit. I recently installed the IBAM in one of my other 1800's and had the same issue of not having enough adjust ability.

Noticed a Fisher 1800 on the auction site, looks to be in pretty worn condition. I can only read the first two numbers in the serial, but it falls right into the 52xxxx range. Noticed the wood case resembles the one that came with my 1800 that has the original box.

Fisher wood cabinet.jpg

Fisher 1800.jpg

Another 1800 popped up in the Fisher forum, serial 52345 T, adding it to the list. I sold one of mine but forget which one. :crazy:

Here are the known 1800's to date.

51564T - RS Steve
51694T - for sale online
51611T - lithography
51607T - Janko
51642T - DavidAlm
51674T - rufleruf
51676T - RS Steve
51692T - RS Steve
51845T - Ivorydan
51906T - online
51996T- online