Table top am/fm radios

funny radios though......mine was always breaking ...fixed 2 times...still not working right.....but not as bad as a friend in the era before cell phones...when car service used 2-way radios & CBs...in the middle of the night the 301 speaker would broadcast everything....all night long.

Maybe 10 years ago I lived a block away from a Yellow Cab repair garage... That'll make you jump for sure! I can't remember if it was an old boom box or its replacement, a Blaupunkt tube radio, but that came through. Didn't happen often, and it was infrequent enough that the sudden burst of loud ET sounding noise coming out of a powered down unit made you jump out of your trousers...

While the Crane EP model isn't really a tabletop radio, that is usually how it is used, I think. Plugged into AC in a kitchen or bath... as a large-by-today's-standards portable with a 5" speaker and a Tone control, it doesn't sound as good as the better table-top models, but is a very good RF performer for AM and FM. Changed to EP Pro in last couple weeks. I love my EP. Becomes main system during a power outage.

While the Crane EP model isn't really a tabletop radio, that is usually how it is used, I think. Plugged into AC in a kitchen or bath... as a large-by-today's-standards portable with a 5" speaker and a Tone control, it doesn't sound as good as the better table-top models, but is a very good RF performer for AM and FM. Changed to EP Pro in last couple weeks. I love my EP. Becomes main system during a power outage.

The EP is, in fact, a good looking radio. I tried a couple of them over a couple years, but for various reasons they just didn't do it for me. As you said, the sound is not what it could be.

Actually, I've tried a few from CCrane and have wound up returning all of them. It may have been a case of taking to much of their "hype" to heart and had too high of expectations. That "twin coil" antenna seems to be more of a gimmick than anything more. Plus, the price for their products has always seemed a bit high to me. They're not the only ones though.

IMG_1407.JPG IMG_1408.JPG IMG_1412.JPG IMG_1413.JPG On closeout a few years back, i got the Tivoli Satellite & matching stereo speaker for $60 each.....great combo for $120...sound is nice & clear...i could have also purchased the CD player,but it only did redbook CDs,no CDR,so i passed on it. I never used the Sirius feature...just the FM & AM modes.

Have 5 radios I use

On night table, JVC FS-2000, surprising AM reception
CB7A18F6-AC05-45F4-8AB3-644147243531.jpeg

On table beside night table, Panasonic RF-1170 great reception, it matches the CCradio 2E on AM and FM
F2772FD9-5E29-4646-A145-59E2719372C6.jpeg

On headboard, CCradio 2E, my main radio
4236DA91-C506-483D-B28A-DE50AEFBA9AB.jpeg

Also on headboard, Sangean PR-D15
79DD5AFD-B61A-4B74-800F-D08BFFEF72D1.jpeg

My travel Radio, Eton E5, packs nicely in a suitcase
33862F91-E822-47EC-AA74-87D504E92E86.jpeg

Also have a GE Superadio 3 that we use when we go boating, great battery life on this radio. FM reception sucks though :(

I saw this for a couple of years at a local department store. Never bought it. Then I found some surplus/auction type of site back in the late 90s and it was dirt cheap. I don't use the speakers that came with it--I have it wired to some old Boston A40s in the kitchen. The CD and cassette player still work but I never use them. Heck if I know what's on that cassette now. :D But just below the glowing red light with the pink USB power cable is the Chromecast Audio that is plugged into the Aux input. This is inside a large kitchen cabinet. Now I just have to say "Hey Google...Mambo!" and it tunes to my Mambo/Salsa Pandora channel and plays on this system. :D

I'm not sure what power it's rated at, but it gets plenty loud. I don't have an antenna hooked up, but it used to pull in stations decently. The light in the display is burned out though, so it's a bit hard to see it.

IMG_20180308_160735-01.jpeg

This is my Vers Audio 1.5R clock/radio/dock. It has dual alarms and a sleep timer function, all of which work with either the radio or iPod. The display is a monochrome LCD with white backlight that matches the one in the iPod mini pretty well. The wood box is nicely walnut veneered and has a tuned port in the back that produces decent bass.
vers.jpg

Last edited:
I went to town on a Sony High Fidelity ICF-9650W AM/FM. In aged stock form it wasnt too great. Replaced the amp IC, wires, resistors with 1% metal films, caps with Fine Gold/Silmic and all transistors. Couldnt believe the sound, comparable to CD quality. Best table radio I ever heard.

View attachment 1097377

I had a new one of these great not-so-little mono radio. Liked it so much I got one for my folks, who then lived in Wisconsin. They brought it to Texas with them.

Have 5 radios I use

Also have a GE Superadio 3 that we use when we go boating, great battery life on this radio. FM reception sucks though :(

If Fm sucks on that GE it's either location(lots of hills around the water) or the radios bad. The FM reception on the ones I've owned has been very good to excellent

If Fm sucks on that GE it's either location(lots of hills around the water) or the radios bad. The FM reception on the ones I've owned has been very good to excellent

Actually just small rolling hills but we always use it while on a boat. I’ll have to take another radio this year to see. AM performance is quite good.

Last edited:
NOW you’re talkin’! The old tube type Zenith radios are the best. There is nothing like listening to distant AM broadcast stations late at night or just as the sun is about to come up.

j430w_1361145.jpg

I have one just like this one here from the web

Back
Top Bottom