asilker's stereo [photos]

I love that amp. I had it in my system for a couple months while George was playing with class D amps. It is wonderful sounding but he didn't want to part whit it back then.

I love that amp. I had it in my system for a couple months while George was playing with class D amps. It is wonderful sounding but he didn't want to part whit it back then.
you used this! how cool is that!

I've been very happy with this amplifier. It has a little bit of heater noise inherent to the simple 2a3 design, but otherwise everything scratches the itch for me. Did you run it with 45s or 2a3s?

The 2a3s. It drove my Edgarhorns with JBL 2441 CDs. Sounded lovely lush and detailed.

That heater noise was bad on my 26/300B amp but I fixed it by installing the CCS heater boards from....well I can't remember his name.

Beautiful room, and nice photography too.

Good on you for 1) going without the TV screen.
The room can be about reading, relaxing conversation, music.

And 2) daring to paint the room an intense, dark color.
So many people are afraid to do that, but with the right lighting it's quite dramatic.
And...conducive to everything I mentioned in #1. Well done.
Thank you! We were starting to measure out how large of a TV we wanted to get since the room is fairly large, and when we were looking at prices it dawned on us that we don't actually need a TV in the living room. We still have one in the bedroom, and that gets daily use in the evening, but It's definitely encouraged less TV time each day and falling asleep earlier. And the living room has way more room for guests.

I'm really glad my wife let me go with such a dark blue. Lighting is a bit of a challenge, but the blue feels very calming. And because we have white trim, lots of windows, white curtains, and blonde oak floors there is still enough positive space

Great job Asilker! Looks really good.
Is there a thread about the Altecs? I need to know more.
I for one totally agree with you priorities. Room and big picture first, techno perfection secondary.

Alright here is my room. This is my first attempt producing photos of any quality... You guys like large format, right?

Turntable:

View attachment 1151576

View attachment 1151577

View attachment 1151578

From my spot:

View attachment 1151579

Detail on the cherry that wraps my Altecs:

View attachment 1151580

View attachment 1151581

In-laws are in town for the holiday.

View attachment 1151582

View attachment 1151583

View attachment 1151584

My listening buddy, Pepper.

View attachment 1151585

Beautiful space, beautiful color palette and WOW, those speakers.

Wow... Wow! A lovely shade of cobalt on the walls, comfortable furniture, hardwood floors in excellent condition, a nice view out into the neighborhood, and an aviary listening buddy. Rogers Park, here I come. I'm into neither turntables nor vinyl but will be the first to admit that the Thorens looks beautiful. You have a nice room with excellent decor and a good system. The vantage from the listening spot simply screams for some jazz or classical... or Led Zeppelin.

Thanks folks, I appreciate the encouragement.

Great job Asilker! Looks really good.
Is there a thread about the Altecs? I need to know more.
I for one totally agree with you priorities. Room and big picture first, techno perfection secondary.
No thread for them. What would you like to know?

What model? Did you build or refinish them?
They are Altec 604 168x drivers with the diaphragms replaced so they all run at 8ohms. They are the classic altec 604 but at the very end of production so they have slightly different impedence curves and higher power handling (but not much).

An audiophile acquaintance out in St. Charles built these cabinets from scratch. They have oak bracing, MDF walls, black airplane foam sprayed inside for damping, and some thick cherry veneer. Cabs are to Altec 620 dimensions.

Crossovers are the Jeff Markwart 8ohm crossover built with Solens and Jantzen flat copper inductors. I built the crossovers and occasionally wipe some Tung oil on the veneer.

awesome, we need your address!
You can find me here: 2032 W Devon Ave, Chicago, IL 60659

Thanks, I rarely get that far North but you never know.
I wish I had more space, and my wife is probably glad I don't.
Beautiful, enjoy, love the speakers.

Thanks, I rarely get that far North but you never know.
I wish I had more space, and my wife is probably glad I don't.
Beautiful, enjoy, love the speakers.
Just FYI the address is for an Indian food restaurant in my neighborhood :) I would love to hang out if you are up here, but my home address is still not up on a public forum

Nice looking - except what exactly is the purpose for the chair and ottoman between and facing away from the speakers?

The Altecs are his rear speakers...you should see the fronts! :p

Great job on the new space. Understated (except for the speakers of course) and elegant. The up lighting on the Altecs is a nice touch. I'm sure you could find some nice used art lighting for the final finish.

Just FYI the address is for an Indian food restaurant in my neighborhood :) I would love to hang out if you are up here, but my home address is still not up on a public forum
Good idea. I'm in the area right now, in fact...but I'm not into party crashing. :D

That paint color is really stunning though! I did up a master bedroom in a similar color, more of a greyish blue. (I looked for spray paint to have nearly matching outlets, and the Rust Oleum color was called Slate Blue.) I did the ceiling in a Rugrats color called Spilt Milk. Kind of a cream/white color. One wall we did with Venetian plaster as an accent wall, sort of a brownish mix. Looked really nice!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom