Let's See / Hear Your Jazz Guitars

So the extra bracing has to be added for the pickup mount and the volume and tone pot?
Looks so naked without the back on!:confused:

I am a luthier retired.I've built 3 archtops and 50 flattops and a couple of acoustic basses.The one pictured is spruce top maple back and sides modeled after Beneditto.
I built two of those exactly the same except one is "X" braced and one is parallel braced.I wanted to hear the difference in sound quality between the two and frankly there isn't much difference. I'll try and post more pics when time allows.

Scale is 25"
Nice! That's in the sweet spot in between Gibson's 24.75" and Fender's 25.5" scale.
Tighter bottom end than the Gibson but easier reach than the Fender's.
I play both and even though I have fairly long fingers I have a hard time with some of the spread out chord voicings on a Tele or Strat.
The top grain looks different on the guitar on the right. Are those tops maple, or spruce?
Beautiful guitars man. I'd love to play one!

The tops are all Engleman spruce,back and sides flame maple.If I can find the time I will post pics of the backs and maybe some close ups.
Thanx for the compliments.

Beautiful guitars. I am sure they sound great too. I have a handmade maple and spruce acoustic cutaway nylon string with a neck more like a fingerstyle steel string width. I got out of Mexico when i was in Southern CA once. Built in Paredes, MX and absolutely amazing sounding especially for the money. The only archtops I have are Gibsons and a couple of old Kays that were my first instruments 50+ years ago. They are not common out here where I live, especially acoustic ones. Its more a dreadnought world for slack key playing.

Don't have any sound clips,sorry. Don't know what you mean by flat top jazz boxes. The flat tops Ive made are "regular" acoustics although different sizes as per what the customer wanted.
The two outside archtops in the picture are acoustic ,no electronics.The only exception is that one is "X" braced and one "parallel" braced otherwise everything is identical. There is only a slight difference in tone between them.I'm still trying to get more pics up of them,close ups and such.Perhaps I can do that today if I can put aside some other projects. I have a big place to take care of and this time of year keeps me quite busy with outdoor projects,the yard,the garden area,fixing this and that. Thanx for the compliment Louis James.

Back
Top Bottom