If you could only keep one pair of your speakers which ones would you keep?

Harvestor

Addicted Member
After owning my Cerwin Vega D9 since brand new in August of 1986 and a pair of Mach 1's since 1983 that I purchased brand new then..... And my long-time awaited reacquisition of my favorite Cerwin VEGA's the 380SE's ... As well as fulfilling a dream of owning the 300SE ...
All of which would be hard for me to give up especially the ones I have a long history with....
I finally acquired a pair of OHM model i ... This last week that I have dreamed about owning since my first tech Hi-Fi catalog I saw after my brother brought home a pair of OHM model H in the summer of 1978.. I've always wanted these and this pair that I acquired is as close to showroom New as I believe possible....
And after only less than 1 week of owning these I am a hundred percent certain these are the ones I would keep out of all of my speakers..... But I'll tell you this if it all possible and I stay where I'm at I will keep everything I have and it will all get passed on to family members after I'm long gone.
OHM I ...FTW ALL THE WAY !

I don't want too many speakers. But if I had to just keep one pair it would be my Silver 6 and my Klipsch Fortes. Yes, I'd cheat. Not yet ready to let these go, but might sell the Fortes one of these days. Might not.

Well, I've only one pair of - real - speakers... so I'll probably be buried in mine.... Epi M1000 without any doubt about it since my other speakers are not really comparable.....
Oh, love the D9. Do the Ohm beat the D9 in all genres of music? Never heard any Ohm products before but know the D9 have a cult following..
I would say that ohm beats the D9 in about 90% of the music I tested them on so far... It's a close call with heavy bass tracks from rap music and some heavy modern rock like Metallica or Volbeat... But when it comes Celine Dion, Kenny G, Beethoven, Mozart, and the New York Philharmonic playing Star Wars the ohm speakers win those battles with critical listening....

I would keep the odd Spica TC-50i / Kinergetic woofer combo I’m currently running, it has to be bi amped, that’s the only drawback. I’ll be listening to some Cornwall’s in a week or so and picking up some Diatone DS-505’s so one of those may make it to the top spot.

And for me the CV VS-150's. I have not heard the D-9's yet but think they may sound like the AT-15's due to driver design.
I have not had the pleasure of hearing some of the speakers listed above, so for now.....!

"I finally acquired a pair of OHM model i ... This last week that I have dreamed about owning since my first tech Hi-Fi catalog I saw after my brother brought home a pair of OHM model H in the summer of 1978.. I've always wanted these and this pair that I acquired is as close to showroom New as I believe possible....
And after only less than 1 week of owning these I am a hundred percent certain these are the ones I would keep out of all of my speakers..... But I'll tell you this if it all possible and I stay where I'm at I will keep everything I have and it will all get passed on to family members after I'm long gone.
OHM I ...FTW ALL THE WAY !

I felt the same way after I got mine. I sold my Klipsch Chorus, Chorus II, Forte II, and many others since, but the Ohm I's have stayed. They are in a battle Royale for the main rig with some newcomer KEF 105.4's and there are some big Infinity's and JBL's in the restoration queue, but the Ohms are the only speakers my wife wants for her rig. Great speakers!

IMG_5488.JPG

My Polk Monitor 5’s. Bought these new with the stands in 1987. New caps per Polk Forum recommendations, new resistors (poly switches also replaced with Mills), and new RD0-194 tweeters. Cabinets and grills are in mint condition, no dings, dents or scratches. Connected to a Pioneer SX-650 (also purchased new in 1978). These little speakers do everything I could ask for. Jazz, Acoustic, Classical. Sunday mornings with a cup of coffee and the newspaper . Life is good.

Attachments

• 55BE3E24-3CF9-4CB2-B86E-51DFCA9F1191.jpeg
    55BE3E24-3CF9-4CB2-B86E-51DFCA9F1191.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Only have two pairs left. AR-90s and my Infinity RS-1s. The ARs are in the house. Wife approved. The Infinities are in the finished garage aka my doghouse. Wife non-approval. Lol

I'd love those, along with a Ferarri 275 GTB4. For now the Soundcraftsmen 2640tx are what I listen to most. The fist thing I listened to on these speakers was an episode of Jay Leno's garage. I was wondering where the bass was until Jay fired up a Mercedes 300SL and the exhaust note blew my mind, a real "a hah" moment. My speaker choice would be based on the amp I had to drive them as well to bring them to that potential.

Oh that's just sad.Why would you want to keep those. The wood doesn't even match your floor, they way over shadow those cute little guy's on the outside, the ceiling lights are reflecting off the finish, their to tall to set your coffee cup on!! come on man get with the program! they have to go!

For this exercise I'm thinking in terms of future downsizing necessity, so size matters, inversely.
Go: DQ-10's/DW-1 :(, NHT SuperOne's, SuperTwos', SuperCenter, SubOne, Madisound Kanspea's, & Allison AL-110's
Stay: B&O M70's (Since new in '76)

IMG_0918.jpg IMG_0722.JPG
(But I'm keeping all my head phones)

Back
Top Bottom