New listening room with an odd shape

interalian

We're starting a basement development project and I've been "green lighted" by SWMBO for a proper listening room. Problem is, the layout may be compromised due to the desire to not feel like you're walking down into a hallway. Have a look at the picture for what is in the plans.

The room is going to be about 12x17' and will have a corner notched off to permit the aesthetic mentioned above. In order to have symmetry, I think a component rack/closet of a matching shape would balance it out. Access door to the adjacent room for cable management

I'm fortunate to have a 105" rough height to deal with. Looking to use mineral wool in the joist spaces above and on the sides. Drywall attached using resilient channel. The doors would be exterior grade french doors with gaskets and sweep threshold to keep sound contained . Treatments would follow after construction is complete.

Thoughts? Ideas?

IMG_2535.jpg

Last edited:
I recently did a basement audio room after flood rebuild. To get speaker wire where needing, I fished two sets of #12 wires and parachute cords for future pulls, in walls before drywall finished. And upgraded 120 outlet to a quad. If you want a dedicated circuit, now is time.
I did AK thread on it here. My basement ceiling is also drywalled, but bass makes it upstairs even at non loud setting. Sound can channel by furnace ducts too.

Last edited:
What did you do between the upstairs floor and ceiling, any insulation? Resilient channel? Mass loading?

For power, I've planned for a 20A dedicated power circuit with one drop behind each speaker (for the sub, and in case I end up with monoblocks), one behind the amp in the center, and then continuing to the equipment closet for the rest of the stack. Lights and other plugs will be on a separate circuit on the same leg of the transformer.

Pre-wiring for other A/V including speakers and HDMI (I have 300M of #16 plenum speaker cable which should be more than adequate for surround).

There will be no fixtures penetrating the ceiling, lighting will be with wall sconces. Ductwork will be damped and insulated - the cold air return will be run through the storage area under the stairs.

Been playing in Sketchup - that's an unreasonable facsimile of me. It's fun to visualize the room even if the speakers and amp are wrong.

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 7.28.01 PM.png

IMG_20180217_081459.jpg IMG_20180213_123423.jpg
Pics of my audio room before gear added. I rebuilt the bottom two foot with drywall, plaster and vinyl plank after backup flood. Otherwise basement is from 80's. I believe ceiling drywall attached direct to floor joyce, by previous owner. No ceiling insulation.
Double Barn doors on floor are now on rail over opening on left.
24' x 14' to 18' at alcove x7' high room.
I ran 25' and 50' speaker wire run from right wall to the two plates with wires showing. Stairwell between going up to left. The plates allow uninterupted single length wire from amp to speaker.
But this thread should be about your room. If can be of any help. IMG_20180430_212820.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180430_212958.jpg
    IMG_20180430_212958.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Looks good. I have a lot of pre-planning to do. Got side tracked drawing my Newforms. But I just HAVE to know how they'll look in the room.

A drape on the door will not hurt. Or a corner cabinet with the same reflective glass as the french doors. Even out the reflections?

The shelves/bookcases behind you can function as diffusers .Irregular spacing of objects help.

Just modelling the 3 4x2 Expedit units I already have - it's an exercise to see how it'll all fit.

One benefit of the Newform R645 is there's no need for ceiling treatment as the ribbons beam horizontally with very little upward/downward dispersion. I plan on room treatments for other reflection points and bass traps.

I"ve got a similar listening space, but it's about 10x12' with a corner taken out for a 45 degree angle door.

Back
Top Bottom