Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

I had so little improvement versus the US set up I gave up on WG. It is a lot of tedious work, really painfully slow and sporadic results (at least for me). The US set up I use I can now (with much practice) do about 25-28 LPs in under 2 hours (washing time) plus an additional hour for extra careful, complete air drying cycle and re sleeve. I do both an US bath and a hand scrub, rinse and vac.

I agree. But again, where wood glue is tedious and can get expensive, US is either very expensive or a DIY hassle (for me anyway) and even the DIY solutions are "pricey" for DIY.

The only thing that might change my mind about US vs Spin Clean would be a vast improvement over a Spin Clean. To be clear, I'm not talking about US cleaning better than Spin Clean... we all know it does! I'm talking about taking a record that's been through a Spin Clean cleaning and listening to it, then putting it through US cleaning and going "Holy shit! That's so much better now!"

Now that's something that is worth the extra money! (IMO) But I have not had that happen yet.

But yet again.... when I finally have the "last" system in place with a great turntable like a Yamaha GT 2000 and some crazy MC cart hooked up to an even crazier phono stage and so on... then I'll probably have that Aha! moment with US. The system I have now and my ears can't tell the difference.

I agree. But again, where wood glue is tedious and can get expensive, US is either very expensive or a DIY hassle (for me anyway) and even the DIY solutions are "pricey" for DIY.

The only thing that might change my mind about US vs Spin Clean would be a vast improvement over a Spin Clean. To be clear, I'm not talking about US cleaning better than Spin Clean... we all know it does! I'm talking about taking a record that's been through a Spin Clean cleaning and listening to it, then putting it through US cleaning and going "Holy shit! That's so much better now!"

Now that's something that is worth the extra money! (IMO) But I have not had that happen yet.

But yet again.... when I finally have the "last" system in place with a great turntable like a Yamaha GT 2000 and some crazy MC cart hooked up to an even crazier phono stage and so on... then I'll probably have that Aha! moment with US. The system I have now and my ears can't tell the difference.
I did a few LPs for a fellow AKer and he wrote a (praise) review. This was after considerable effort on his own. If I can find the thread I will link it.

I did a few LPs for a fellow AKer and he wrote a (praise) review. This was after considerable effort on his own. If I can find the thread I will link it.

That would be fun. I hope in the future I have the opportunity to visit someone with an US and take my Spin Clean to do "after Spin Clean" comparisons.

Posting some feedback on the US cleaning that dfunghi did on 3 of my albums.

I had 2 first/early Miles Davis pressings (Round About Midnight and My Funny Valentine). RAM was acquired from an old jazz enthusiast and the record was in pretty great shape for being 60yrs old, but had misc relatively minor clicks/pops even after going through my KAB EV-1 vacuum based machine. MFV was bought on CL and didn't even have an inner sleeve and shows some hairlines/minor flaws, etc, but nothing too major. Though a bit noisy, it sounded pretty good.

The 3rd album I sent for cleaning was a 2003 2 x 45rpm Analogue Productions release of Know What I Mean that I picked up on eBay. Though it looked to be in great/pristine condition, even after 2-3 runs through my vacuum machine, it had significant crackling noise esp on the first track, but also at various points throughout playback on all sides. I could hear the potential in the parts that didn't have noise, but I was seriously thinking of returning it as the noise that was there kind of ruined the overall experience.

After US cleaning:
MFV - it's hard to tell whether this got better. Because the clicks/pops, while minor, are pretty frequent it's just hard to tell.
RAM - I'm fairly certain this got better. The noise that's occasionally there seems obvious and due to some physical flaw, but other parts of the LP are quiet. So there's virtually no low level noise that's persistently there.
Know What I Mean - This one improved the most. All that significant crackling on the first track is gone - just silent. Having played the first 2 sides, I can say it's much much improved - not 100% totally silent every second of both sides, but it's about as quiet as any used record I've ever had and better than some new ones.

So I'm very pleased with the results of the US cleaning and recommend it esp for LPs that look great, but still have persistent noise that don't seem to respond to other methods of cleaning.

From Music Barter Thread

Yeah but did you use the massive amount of glue he used? I found that there's an RCH of difference between too little glue and enough to peel off easily. Too much is only a problem if you put so much on it that it spills over to the label. Aside from taking a long time to dry, the more you put on, generally the easier it is to remove. That's where for me, I reached the "too little" phase and it was a pain in the ass to remove. I had to re-glue it with a thick coat.
Yes I did put a fair coating on,in truth the record in question had an unknown history so it could have been unsalvageable.

Last edited:
Well I did this for the first time the other night using Tightbond (the red bottle, not Titebone II). I can't get it off. It's very rigid and just cracks and crumbles, so I am afraid picking at it will cause it to scratch the vinyl.

Any ideas for removal? If I do a layer of Tightbond II over it, will that help it peel? Warm water? I'm at a loss.

I would give it a try on a small section and see what happens.

An alterntive, but risky move is to flex the record to see if the glue "pops" off. But as you can imagine, that might also just crack the record.

put a couple of strips of masking tape on the edge and then re coat with a layer of glue all over,use the tape to peel it off.

Well I did this for the first time the other night using Tightbond (the red bottle, not Titebone II). I can't get it off. It's very rigid and just cracks and crumbles, so I am afraid picking at it will cause it to scratch the vinyl.

Any ideas for removal? If I do a layer of Tightbond II over it, will that help it peel? Warm water? I'm at a loss.

I have used wood glue methods before for real dirty grimy records , but only after other methods did not work . Use the tight bond II over the other glue. But don't wait too long. after a few hours or till it gets that clear look is all it needs.

I take it you waited over night or longer.

nashou

Back
Top Bottom