What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

Yes, and so similar to the early linn.you'd swear they copied it. But a very different sound. Why?. I reckon mostly due to the teflon bearing sleeve vs I think sintered bronze in the thorens.
The teflon could well have been loaded as is common . Linn would'nt be telling.
I think the tighter tolerance to the spindle gave it a more up front punchy sound that reviewers loved.
Me I was never convinced by the short circuited bass that springs can cause and continually needing to retune suspension due to high CO GRAVITY. Once I tried a td121 there was no going back.

Give your opinion of what you think is the best all around vintage TT! This should be interesting!!!
To me there are a few...some well known some not so.
1-Linn LP12
2-Walker CJ55
3-Roksan Xerexes Original
4-Pink Triangle
5-Voyd Reference

For "best all around" I'll vote for the DUAL 1019.

Simple: Hard to screw it up. Ignore failures in the changer spindles and it is quite reliable.

Available: Easy to find one and usually at a reasonable price.

Sweet: They sound good and it is easy to find a compatible cart.

Popular: How many of us have NOT owned a 1019 at some point?

Recognition Factor: Is there anyone out there who does not know what a 1019 is? You don't even have to say DUAL.

And yes, I'll admit to being prejudiced.
Had one but sold it just too much maintenance involved with it, I'm not a DIYer. It was my fourth TT and I already shelled out money on the other 3, so I was kinda done with getting TT repaired. If it was my first I might've kept it but it went to a good home. Plus I have a Technics SL 1200 Mk2, Thorens TD 320 and a Technics SL-23 so I'm doing OK. It was one of the best looking/sounding TT I've had. But the Thorens and 1200 or no slouches either.

Hard to pick a best, but I have a couple of my favorites.

Rega Planar 3
Systemdek IIX
Empire 298 & 598
AR XA (2 of ‘em)

The Rega see the most use.
All are “vintage”; I bought the Rega in ‘87.

While there are better out there, I’m too cheap to buy ‘em.

My Technics 1200 mk2 has been verified as an August 2010 build. This 1200 mk2 had high capacitance RCA cables. I have had those replaced. I have also had the tonearm rewired, the power supply changed, and I have had the platter altered.

There are very few vintage turntables that have not been altered. There are not many 40 year old audio components that haven't seen some work from quality technicians.

The turntables in this list are amazing, but they are not as they were new. If they are, they could use a look-over by quality turntable mechanics.

I have no idea what the best is but here are a few very good ones: The upper level DUALS (1019, 12" 12XX and 7XX series), Thorens TD-160 family, Pioneer PL-530 and 570, Linn-Sondek LP12, Elac 50HMkII, JVC QL9 and QL7, Sansui SR 838 and 929, Kenwood/Trio concrete-base (actually Corian) models, Sony PS-X60 - X80.

Honestly there are lots of really good models. My favorite from the above list would be the Thorens.

If I had a choice I would have the Pioneer it looks stunning.
Lovely collection, which is your favourite?

Too much of a loaded question to get a credible response. Not every type of turntable is suited for every buyer. A better question could be which vintage turntable is the most popular, or most reliable in terms of service.

If I had a choice I would have the Pioneer it looks stunning.
Lovely collection, which is your favourite?
The Pioneer is my favourite, it sounds as good as it looks and so simple to use next fav is the Garrard 401, they are all good turntables but I do prefer DD of Idler to belt drive

Alan

In my limited experience:
My first "good" TT was a Garrard Lab 80, which I liked a lot. Wore it out.
My current is a Sony PS-X50, which I also like a lot.

Well again, without properly answering the question,

Here are some vintage turntables that I've grown to love and admire:

Garrard AT65B, SP25mkII, 990B, GT-15(own), GT-130, DD75 (own)
Dual: 1019, 1242, 1246 (own), 505, 521
Technics: SL-1200,
BIC: 960
LinnSonder: LP12

And: I have an underlying affection for BSR/McDonald changers. Hardly considered as a quality vintage TT, these crafts have the reliability and durability that should be envied by most.

Don't know if these have been mentioned but they do have a special place in hi fi history.
Funny thing is , they sounded way better than current thinking would suggest.
John Michell was one of the proper gentlemen in the UK hi fi industry

post-109524-0-18754400-1463738254.jpg

Back
Top Bottom