Opinions on Head Shell leads

Bucky Badger

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey guys and gals, I am looking to upgrade my head shell lead wires and am looking for your opinions on what would be good ones to get. I don't really want to spend tons of money on them and have been looking at eplay and notice you can spend lots or just a little.(Kinda like interconnects) I would be looking to get maybe 3-5 sets of 4.
So, what do you use? Which ones can you recommend that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks Much.
Bucky

Here's my thoughts (and they're likely to spark a debate) on the topic - when you consider the low signal strength coming from a cartridge (whichever one you pick) I just don't see how going with an 'upgraded' head shell wire set will net you any perceptible benefit. Also to consider - the wiring within the tone arm is so fine - yet the turntable manufacturer deems it suitable for the task at hand.

Unless you have to replace a set due to breakage - spend the money elsewhere. :)

Last edited:
I don't really want to spend tons of money on them
You're right - don't. It's less than 2" of conducting wire and I seriously doubt anyone would notice a difference in SQ if you replaced that length with coat hanger steel. Just get standard OFC litz leads with good termination, not too thick, not too thin, not too short. If there's a brand on it - it's too expensive already. The only time I broke my own rule was when I got the AT6101 PCOCC wires, which I found to be too fat, too rigid and too short.

Thanks. I agree that I doubt I will really hear a dif. in the SQ but as I am slowly upgrading my carts/head shells/TT's I kinda want to use something other than the standard everyday wires. I have looked at OFC in a Litz wire config. and will go with these. I just wondered if someone knew of some less expensive set's selling somewhere that work as well as the more expensive ones that your happy with.
I want to find some that aren't to fat, rigid or to short.
Good points tnsilver and Tom. :thumbsup: Thanks for your opinions.

Thanks. I agree that I doubt I will really hear a dif. in the SQ but as I am slowly upgrading my carts/head shells/TT's I kinda want to use something other than the standard everyday wires. I have looked at OFC in a Litz wire config. and will go with these. I just wondered if someone knew of some less expensive set's selling somewhere that work as well as the more expensive ones that your happy with.
I want to find some that aren't to fat, rigid or to short.
Good points tnsilver and Tom. :thumbsup: Thanks for your opinions.

The SOAR HD5 headshell wires should fit your requirements. :idea:
https://www.amazon.com/LP-Gear-HD5-...26512200&sr=8-1&keywords=headshell+lead+wires

Signet (by Audio-Technica) use to make some very nice copper Litz wires.
I don't see the need to go for $$$ wires of ANY kind including tonearm/speaker,IC's,ect.

You're right - don't. It's less than 2" of conducting wire and I seriously doubt anyone would notice a difference in SQ if you replaced that length with coat hanger steel. Just get standard OFC litz leads with good termination, not too thick, not too thin, not too short. If there's a brand on it - it's too expensive already. The only time I broke my own rule was when I got the AT6101 PCOCC wires, which I found to be too fat, too rigid and too short.

Agreed. But, I did buy some of those AT leads cuz they look cool and aren't megabucks. I don't do megabucks anything.

So, what do you use? Which ones can you recommend that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks Much.
Litz

Thanks. I agree that I doubt I will really hear a dif.
You don't have to here a difference, unless you like hearing broken wire, ground hums, loose contacts, tabs breaking off every time you plug them on and off.

I have looked at OFC in a Litz wire config.
Litz are fabric and supper fine they are very flexible and generally don't break at the tabs. A stiff wire is always going to break at the tab and put undue force on the pins and solder joint. You will have none of that with a fabric litz wire made nice.

IMG_0732.jpg

They look good. Thanks for the heads up. They look a little thiner than the SOAR HD5's.
Think I'm going to pull the plug on the HL5's.
Thanks for all your help you guys.

Last edited:
They good good. Thanks for the heads up. They look a little thiner than the SOAR HD5's.
Think I'm going to pull the plug on the HL5's.
Thanks for all your help you guys.
They are very flexible and tuck away nicely, tabs are split so they will open to the pin size and can be crimped tighter if need be. With the heat shrink covering the tabs and wire at the ends makes them nice and strong to use many times without breaking them. I also like the bright color. These you can even for a clean look, make all your connections with the cart loose from the head, then twist the cart and the leads to make it like one wire and tuck it away.

I actualy need to buy some more of them for my other arms.

Look how small the litz are

IMG_1930.JPG

Now these two are also well made and the white ones with the color rings are stock SME that came with the Series V arm. But they are big and bulky to tuck away.

IMG_2338.JPG IMG_2086.JPG

Back
Top Bottom