TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I received my Volt+D today from Bangalore, India. It's gorgeous and much larger than my Volt+. It came double boxed and wrapped in thick foam. The outside plastic wrap looks to be water proof. Took me at least 15 minutes to unbox this beauty. It measures 9 1/2" by 6 1/2" and with it's height it looks to be about the size of a Whitman's Sampler box. I haven't fired it up and may not have time for a day or so as I'm real busy with work. The D stands for dual mono and on looks alone I'd give it a 10.

volt-plus-d-amplifier.jpg

Last edited:
I have been playing around with my FX502S PRO some. It has two NE5532 opamps which I guess are for the preamp section.
I switched these out to OPA2227P opamps and there is a noticeable sound difference, I would call an improvement. I wish actually these
amps had no opamps at all really. I also used a different power supply my Pyramid PS-3KX and I believe it sounds better, even though the
voltage is way less than the recommended ( I never turn the dial more that quarter way up anyway). Overall I like the FX amp.

Based on discussions in the DIY Audio thread, I swapped the FX502SPRO's stock NE5532 opamps with LME49720NA chips. I got them for very cheap from the TI store. Has anyone else done that? I am not sure of the sound quality changes, as it is very difficult to do an A/B comparison. Others report it further improves the sound quality, but I can't tell. For a few bucks I thought it was worth trying.

I received my Volt+D today from Bangalore, India. It's gorgeous and much larger than my Volt+. It came double boxed and wrapped in thick foam. The outside plastic wrap looks to be water proof. Took me at least 15 minutes to unbox this beauty. It measures 9 1/2" by 6 1/2" and with it's height it looks to be about the size of a Whitman's Sampler box. I haven't fired it up and may not have time for a day or so as I'm real busy with work. The D stands for double and on looks alone I'd give it a 10.

Congrats on the new arrival! Have you had a chance to listen to it yet? Given that the new model is nearly the same price point as the Hood amp, I'd love to see (hear) them compared in an A/B. Just for sheets & geegs, considering they represent clean, straightforward examples of old vs new amplification tech. Did someone upthread say they were going to do that? I may do it myself although I really need to get rid of some stuff before acquiring more.

I received my Volt+D today from Bangalore, India. It's gorgeous and much larger than my Volt+. It came double boxed and wrapped in thick foam. The outside plastic wrap looks to be water proof. Took me at least 15 minutes to unbox this beauty. It measures 9 1/2" by 6 1/2" and with it's height it looks to be about the size of a Whitman's Sampler box. I haven't fired it up and may not have time for a day or so as I'm real busy with work. The D stands for double and on looks alone I'd give it a 10.

So have you fired it up yet????? I am very curious to hear your impressions of this since you know I own the VOLT +

My first listening session was last night with the +D powering Lowthers in open baffles. This thing is incredibly detailed almost to a fault and the film caps haven't broken it yet. Dang if it didn't come with that strange sized power input but thankfully a couple of adaptors are included. I'm using it with a Bottlehead preamp as my OB's are bi-amped but I plan to try it alone with the Frugal Horns. There was a slight pop even with a sequential turn-on but there's a mute switch which might take care of that. I'll see. It's early so more to follow.......

Ahh i've figured out how to do multiple quotes! :D

I received my Volt+D today from Bangalore, India. It's gorgeous and much larger than my Volt+
Looking good Poultrygeist...

Has anyone else done that?
I went the other way with the opamps (not with a FX502SPRO). Ditched the 5532, dual 5534, OPA2227, 2228, LM4562 etc. I've removed all components with external opamps in the signal path.
Source with ES9023 chip - Shunt attenuator for a volume control - "Old School" TPA3116 amp (@32db gain).

Sorry if these have been discussed, there's 300 pages here. What's the general feeling towards these budget guys from eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-Power-Amplifier-HiFi-TPA3116-Stereo-2-0-Channel-Audio-Amp-50W-50W/262315996089?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I was thinking maybe you could do pretty well with one of these + upgrading some of the passive components.

They are great, there is a dual-chip version too. However, the FX502SPRO has significantly better sound for not much more money (it includes the power supply). I have all three and the FX502SPRO is the best. It is the cheapest on aliexpress at the moment.

You may want to ask that on the DIY Audio forum thread, they seem to know a lot over there.
Not registered there.
The FXPRO doesn't require a preamp from a line source, the Nobsound dual 3116 with the NE5532P definitely not. I have a couple of Sure brick amps that must have a preamp, so don't use them.

Last edited:
Lots of fun today listening to the Volt+D power the OB's. I swapped the Volt+D for the single ended Dennis Had EL84 and didn't miss it at all.

P1010016.jpg

Last edited:
What's the general feeling towards these budget guys from eBay?

I have one of the Breeze 3116 2.0 amps and it is a hell of a great little amp. Lots of power with a 20v 3.3 amp PS from a laptop. Of the 4 that I have purchased, the Breeze has the most output. Clean, clear and full, amazing for a little box. Worth the money.

Sorry if these have been discussed, there's 300 pages here. What's the general feeling towards these budget guys from eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digital-Power-Amplifier-HiFi-TPA3116-Stereo-2-0-Channel-Audio-Amp-50W-50W/262315996089?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I was thinking maybe you could do pretty well with one of these + upgrading some of the passive components.
I have a couple of the Breeze Audio TPA3116 amps and they simply can't be beat for what they cost. Very impressive for $25. You can buy a variety of TPA3116 amp boards for less, but the Breeze is finished and in a nice aluminum case all ready to go.
19V laptop power supplies suitable for this little amp are plentiful and cheap (can also be found used at thrift shops if you want to save even more).

I recently stepped up to the TPA3250 based FX502S PRO and it does sound better and has a little more power than the Breeze Audio TPA3116, but of course it does cost more. You can't go wrong either way.

Back
Top Bottom