Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Outside of an LP here and there, I have hit a drought on finding gear.
I found this Sennheiser Set 840 S today in a Sal Army for a few bucks, I had no idea what it was, but it's Sennheiser so I took it.
Everything that's supposed to be in the box is there, along with the manual, it looks new. And it works.
It includes something called an induction loop for hearing aid users, which my wife claims is in the near future for me.
SennSet840S.JPG

What is the name of that book?

Rare promo companion brochure to Art Exhibition. Contains album covers from The Eagles, The Doors, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and more.

Author: Gary Burden

Publisher: Domtar EarthChoice Papers/R. Twerk & Co

Year Published: 1996

Pages: 32

Format: Paperback

ISBN: n/a

This item is currently Out Of Print

Since getting back into 8 tracks things have been a trickle to find anything decent... Mostly a lot of old mantovani and Streisand kind of stuff. I got lucky at Savers today when I found two ones that have been put out since my last visit... Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and Blondie's autoamerican. Both of them sound great!

Cool that you found a new avenue to explore with the 8 tracks. I got a nice little player and fixed it up after a friend grabbed me a box of about 130 tapes at the flea. I agree that they do sound pretty good! The only issue is that most of the tapes need to be tuned up with new pads and splices. No biggie, I'll get around to it eventually.

Simple buy at a nearby Re-Store: a 14.5" x 15.5" x 1.5" marble cutting board
It fits nearly perfectly underneath my Elac Miracord 760 turntable.
I did not weigh it, but it is probably around 20 lb.
The additional mass greatly stabilizes the turntable.
Because it is a cutting board, it has a set of soft rubber feet, which apparently also help to isolate it from vibrations as well.

The record no longer skips when I get out of my chair near in front of the computer.
This is a marked improvement for $8.

elac-on-marble.jpg

Isolation is big for turntables. I have a wall mount shelf for mine, but feel certain that your added mass is very beneficial.

attachment.php

Sanyo TP 1010 with Concord cart and stylus.
Just seems really dusty. $30.00.

Really nice LP copy of Animals, with lyrics sleeve... not sure how to tell if original US pressing or not. Plays great. Put it on as soon as I got home and gave it a whirl on the Nitty Gritty. WHO DOES THIS????

Really nice LP copy of Animals, with lyrics sleeve... not sure how to tell if original US pressing or not. Plays great. Put it on as soon as I got home and gave it a whirl on the Nitty Gritty. WHO DOES THIS????
What does the deadwax say? Is there a barcode?

Well shit. Looks like a keeper. Played through nicely although it did skip once but I don't know if I have this table dialed in yet (just put it together last week)

I've got a WR701ES that I really like too!

Me too! Got mine dirt cheap and it cleaned-up nicely.

This one is my first ES component; I was not aware of Dolby S until today.

But the drive belts in mine have turned to mush, so this player is my next project...

Well shit. Looks like a keeper. Played through nicely although it did skip once but I don't know if I have this table dialed in yet (just put it together last week)
I find that with some used records a second cleaning a few days after the first can also be of benefit. Give the fluid a couple minutes dwell time.

Been pretty dry around here with audio stuff, even the flea market last weekend was a dud. Just found this little Radio Shack amplified speaker for $5, working batteries included.

nN62muo.jpg

I found an Optimus SA-155 stereo amplifier at an SA for $5.99+tax . I tried using it as a preamplifier on my power amplifiers through the rca jacks/headphone output,it was a no go,too much hiss and distortion . Works great as a standalone ,currently using it with my laptop .
WibX2ow.jpg

VKCdtnr.jpg

w3qaCM7.jpg

cBjqWDQ.jpg

Those little Radio Shack amps are cool and pretty useful. You can use them to test gear you're buying, in small setups, or as phono preamps. I have a few of them hanging around. I always grab em when I see them.

You mean spray it, leave it just sit there for a while, *then* vacuum?
Yes. Or follow that with an extra spray, brush again then vacuum. Just don't leave it so long that it dries on there. Sometimes the extra dwell time will remove something that is stuck on.

Realistic STA-2100 (Original with toroidal transformer) $25 a year or so ago. Finally replaced fuses I blown changing bulbs. Once I took off the bottom cover I could clean volume pot as well. 47 lb. 120 wpc beastly thing, tons of power sounds great.

Original owner bought this as a set it came with, Mach Ones, an EQ, SCT-30 tape deck and Lab-420 TT- I got it all for $25
View attachment 1185985
View attachment 1185986
View attachment 1185987
View attachment 1185991
Wow, seeing those pics sparked some synaps from long long a go-- a family friend owned a Radio Shack in Buffalo NY and he had that beautiful beast as a display when we visited at Christmas. Was a kid and didn't know HiFi, but I knew that rig was something special. Great find!

Back
Top Bottom