Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3

Hey all,
I am really enjoying my MP-301. I installed RCA 6SJ7 preamps and I've been trying Tung Sol 7581A's. I have some Gold Lion KT77's on order. I do have one question. It seems to me, if it's not my imagination, that recently I have to turn the volume up more for the same sound level. I always leave the amp's volume knob at 12:00 and adjust the sound level with my phone. I stream Tidal through a Google Chromecast Audio into a Parasound DAC via Toslink and control actual sound level with the Google Home app on my phone. Seems like until recently I got plenty of volume with the volume slider on Google Home app set to between 10 and 25%. Now it seems like I have to put the volume slider to at least 50% to obtain the same sound level. Could there be an issue with the amp or with a tube? Of course the 7581A's (which have about 55 hours on them now) are glowing. Can't tell with the RCA black cans (which have around 90 hours on them).

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Are you testing the same songs. I find some Tidal music is really low volume, especially "MQA" titles?

I am just playing the same music I've always been playing. None are MQA titles and Tidal has a setting that equalizes volume on all songs played.

I am just playing the same music I've always been playing. None are MQA titles and Tidal has a setting that equalizes volume on all songs played.

Honestly I wouldn't use the normalization option in Tidal it also reduces dynamics in the music. But I'm not sure you'll get consistent results with not having a true set volume source, i.e. using the MP301 at "50%" volume while feeding it another 50% volume. I doubt there's anything wrong with your amp, but you'd be best to feed it a full signal and use the volume of the amp. I get you want to control the volume remotely. Maybe you should bypass the volume control in the 301 and turn it into a true dedicated amp. Easy mod to do, just a clip on connector you move from one spot to another.

Picked up a second MKIII and will put it to use elsewhere in the house. Also wanted to try the 807s so I picked up a nice batch off of eBay -- I have the adapters from Hong Kong. The one in my office/mancave is using RCA 6SJ7s and JJ KT77s which I am in the process of breaking in -- always painful. I like the KT88s more, but until broken in I can't make a fair comparison.

Honestly I wouldn't use the normalization option in Tidal it also reduces dynamics in the music.

Where did you get that information? I've been researching the topic and have read that Tidal's implementation of loudness normalization is very good.

I'm still fiddling with mine. I put the Blue Jeans LC-1 cable on it, on that amp it's the best sounding cable I have. Actually, It's probably the speakers, I had replaced the LC-1's with a different cable that sounded better up top with my former, less efficient planar hybrids. Unfortunately, I pulled my cd player part way off the shelf and the CD is jammed inside. Off course, the cover is attached with some weird torx looking screws that I don't have a driver for. No doubt when I bring home some torx bits they will be something almost like a torx, but not close enough. :(

Where did you get that information? I've been researching the topic and have read that Tidal's implementation of loudness normalization is very good.

I believe Tidal has done a good job of implementing normalization, but with any type of loudness normalization there will be some affects on the dynamics. Might not be a huge deal, but as a lot of us strive to minimize the fiddling with the signal, it's just another option that I'd like to take out of the equation. YMMV

So far my best combo has been Winged C EL34's with both NOS Tung-Sol WE 717a's and NOS Ken-Rad 6SH7's

Still want to try the GL KT-88's

I just installed some GL KT77's and while I've only listened for a couple of hours, I immediately noticed that I have much more output with them compared to the TS 7581A's I'd been running. I had posted here recently that my volume seemed to have dropped off. Well, problem solved. However, maybe it's because I'm hearing a LOT more low mids and lows with these. Really punchy. Not quite as crispy on the high end, but not much less to my ear. Perhaps a touch less "airy" and open sounding with slightly less separation between instruments, but that may just be my imagination. These KT77's are supposed to have been burned in for 24 hours by the seller. We'll see how they settle in after another 20 hours or so, but so far my REL Subwoofer is loving them!

HELP! I just came home from work and tried to turn on my amp, but it is not coming on. It was working just fine last night. Blown fuse? I don't know how because it's been off all day and it's plugged into a surge protector. Any help would be appreciated.

HELP! I just came home from work and tried to turn on my amp, but it is not coming on. It was working just fine last night. Blown fuse? I don't know how because it's been off all day and it's plugged into a surge protector. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd definitely check for blown fuse. there should also be a spare in the fuse cap

They use 1.6a Slo-Blo fuses FYI

I'd definitely check for blown fuse. there should also be a spare in the fuse cap

They use 1.6a Slo-Blo fuses FYI

Yep, it was a blown fuse. I put in the spare. I am confused about what to buy for more spares. Owner's manual says T1A 250v but I've seen threads explaining that Garry now recommends 2 amp fuses. I'm waiting to hear back from Garry on that point. I still have no idea how the fuse blew.

1.6a to 2.0a slow blow fuse. I can get them locally, but can order online. But must be slow blow style

I recently bought a musical paradise 301 mkiii and love it.
I was recently gifted a pair of svetlana winged C ef86 with adapters. I just got them today so have not tried them yet.

Has anyone else tried these pre-tubes before?

Also, with the adaptor can I use other tubes in the mk301, provided they fit in the adaptor that is?

For example, can I use a 6dj8 / 6922 in the musical paradise with the adaptor?

Last edited:
I’ve wanted to try some ef86 tubes. Heard great things. Not sure about using 6DJ8 or 6922 though. Never heard of anyone using those in the mp301 with ef86 adapter

Yep, it was a blown fuse. I put in the spare. I am confused about what to buy for more spares. Owner's manual says T1A 250v but I've seen threads explaining that Garry now recommends 2 amp fuses. I'm waiting to hear back from Garry on that point. I still have no idea how the fuse blew.
I'm not sure why he ships the amp with the 1 amp fuse. They pretty much blow for everyone. Mine did. He sent me some 2 amp, no problems. I'm loving this amp.

i'm considering getting this amp, where do you get your preamp tubes? i'm having a hard time finding these (from the MP website) - 6SJ7, 5693, 717A, 713A, 6SH7, 6SD7, 6J8P, 6*8

i noticed there are also 6N and 6L tubes that seem more available but not sure if they can also be used as they arent on that list. anyone know?

i'm considering getting this amp, where do you get your preamp tubes? i'm having a hard time finding these (from the MP website) - 6SJ7, 5693, 717A, 713A, 6SH7, 6SD7, 6J8P, 6*8

i noticed there are also 6N and 6L tubes that seem more available but not sure if they can also be used as they arent on that list. anyone know?

The first 3 are the most popular. 6SJ7, 5693, 717A - my favorite so far is the 717a "doorknob" tubes... the most popular 6SJ7 & 5693 are both NOS RCA/Sylvania, but they can all be had on eBay fairly easily. just search for "RCA 6SJ7 pair", etc

I have a pair of Ken-Rad 6SH7 that are good too. I don't believe you can use the 6N or 6L tubes here. Never heard of anyone using them, but you can use a EF86 adapter and EF86 tubes as well.

I bought some here on AK in barter town too.

Back
Top Bottom