Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Sunfire HRS-8 GW $8 after discount.

This is the second Sunfire I have found recently same price. Found a True sub Jr. 2 months ago- I am loving that sub!

Works great very very slight hum. You need to put your ear 1 inch from the cone to hear it, very usable in current condition. May recap in future.

A0A637B3-3745-49FF-975C-6450CEB6D6A7.jpeg

Sunfire HRS-8 GW $8 after discount.

This is the second Sunfire I have found recently same price. Found a True sub Jr. 2 months ago- I am loving that sub!

Works great very very slight hum. You need to put your ear 1 inch from the cone to hear it, very usable in current condition. May recap in future.

View attachment 1206812
Yes. Thank God for thrift stores that see crap HT in a box subs sit for months, so when they get a good sub in they don't know that it actually has value. I love finds like that.

Yes. Thank God for thrift stores that see crap HT in a box subs sit for months, so when they get a good sub in they don't know that it actually has value. I love finds like that.

There's a pawn shop near me that has a huge amount of crappy soundbars accompanied by their equally crappy subs. In among them is a nice Velodyne sub and I'm watching the asking price gradually fall ......:)

Best scores at local Goodwills:

Yamaha CA-610II + CT-610II $20 and $10 - physically great condition, distorted channel in amp, now with some new transistors and caps all good now

Onkyo TX-2500 in pretty good shape just fading/missing lettering $10

Advent Baby IIs - big scratch in one top and rotted foam $10 - refoamed and new cap in crossover good now

KLH Model 17s - pricier at $80 but in extremely good condition and original drivers - been recapped and re-doped are my workroom speakers

These were a couple years ago. Real hit or miss but more miss lately. The woman who donated the Onkyo was in the store when I grabbed it and said it was good. It just needed some cleaning and worked just fine. And reset the knobs people had pulled off and popped back on.

I haven't been out thrifting in a while, but today's $10 and $25 excursion may yet prove interesting.

Not exactly sure what the first device is, but I suspect it's a combination isolation transformer and variac, for soft starting of your highly explosive projects.

The second is an Akai X-200D. Cosmetics are pretty solid, but I have yet to test it.

20180609_145109.jpg 20180609_145133.jpg 20180609_145208.jpg

Here is the Pioneer VSX-56TXi that I picked yesterday. The source is a Pioneer DV-49a playing a SACD. Very awesome.

sUHnESO.jpg

zTqY1PT.jpg

kCZpwI5.jpg
Have you run the calibration yet? Remote?
Get the manual, readily available online. I use one daily in the den. One in the office too.

I went down south to visit my Grandma and went to a couple of thrift stores and found a crown d150a series II and a panasonic ramsa wp-9220 power amps for $5 bucks each! Brought them home,blew dust out,plugged them in and BAMMM!! They sound great! Volume pots a little scratchy on both but Deoxit will solve that little problem .
32Vn1DP.jpg

kEuhRNe.jpg

yzTAcSe.jpg

1ugFUET.jpg

mRd8yKa.jpg

D2u0oyC.jpg

NbsrIse.jpg

DUSTY.......
e97tRMB.jpg

NOT DUSTY.......
KbzbV5k.jpg

Have you run the calibration yet? Remote?
Get the manual, readily available online. I use one daily in the den. One in the office too.

Two VSX-56TXi"s! They must be good and IMO it is very good in stereo. Have not run calibration, it will likely not see HT service. A non-original Pio receiver remote from the stash works great. Easy to use and with controls for the DV-49. Very impressed with this combo. I'm thinking about getting the matching DV-59.

Two VSX-56TXi"s! They must be good and IMO it is very good in stereo. Have not run calibration, it will likely not see HT service. A non-original Pio receiver remote from the stash works great. Easy to use and with controls for the DV-49. Very impressed with this combo. I'm thinking about getting the matching DV-59.
If you need any setup or running tips, let know through PM.

Not audio items, took a flyer on a $6 Western Digital My Book external hard drive. Had to go to a second store to find the power adapter. 500 gig and it works! Also scored a new Odyssey Sabretooth putter for $3.

Tim Weisburg - Greatest Hits
Don Shirley - Concert Series Vols 3, 4, 5, 6 missing vols 1 & 2 (anyone got?)
all in EX condition for $1 a pop.

Back
Top Bottom