What was the last movie you watched?

Speaking of Bogart movies, I saw Conflict (1945) with Bogie, Sydney Greenstreet and Alexis Smith on TCM last night. Good film noir ambience, but the plot required excessive suspension of disbelief and the dialogue was weird and stilted and seemed to make the actors (with the exception of Greenstreet, who had a knack for overcoming such trivial difficulties to thoroughly inhabit any role he played), and in turn the audience, uncomfortable.

Suffice to say, one of Bogart's lesser works.

A bud and I sat down for what might look to be a good Sci/Fi move called, "Annihilation".

Strangest movie ever, least it was from our POV's. Bad things started to happen to an all female group going in to a weird alien zone, but there was little, if NO plot to thicken!

We kept watching, hoping, that there'd be some connections/reasons for the things that took place, but it never happened. After, I decided to read up the reviews on this dismal production to help understand it, but even the critics/pros couldn't make much sense in the whole effort.

Thumbs up? None!:thumbsdown:

Q
If you want to see something really strange watch Mother!

In the case of Mother! It really is so strange that I'd almost recommend it as a mind bending experience. This movie takes 'strange' and redefines it.

OK, Theo, I'll watch "Mother", and you take in "Annihilation"...we'll compare notes on the degree of awfulness of the two, eh?:confused:

Q

Just saw "Downsizing" - WTF - what the hell were they thinking
- started weird - eh, maybe scoff, but went to a rabits warren of bad stories and stereotypes.

Stay away, unless you just HAVE to waste 2 hrs or so ...

"Anni..." is on reg TV...you might have to pay for it, but DON'T! My bud picked it up on Kodi.

With its popularity, or lack thereof...it'll be on NETFLIX within the immediate future. And if you cut out half way through this movie, I'll understand, eh?

Q

(Chuckle!) This topic could have been in yet another thread, hj..."Don't waste your time with this movie...trust me!):rolleyes:

Just a wandering thought this day.

Q

Last edited:
If you want to see something really strange watch Mother!
No, I walked away from Darren Aronofsky's films a couple years ago ...Saw Pi, Requiem, The Fountain, and The Wrestler and swore I wouldn't give him another dollar ...

And so far, I haven't - I have no interest in films made just to be confrontational ...
Ooops, that puts ShyamalamaDingdong and Terrantino out of reach too!

"Anni..." is on reg TV...you might have to pay for it, but DON'T! My bud picked it up on Kodi.

With its popularity, or lack thereof...it'll be on NETFLIX within the immediate future. And if you cut out half way through this movie, I'll understand, eh?

Q

Looks like Annihilation is still in the Pay Per View window for Amazon Prime - or DVD rental at Netflix ... I'll wait!

The whole premise of this thread is what movie are you watching and what did you think of it. So we can give our opinion (ie Don't waste your time) with the mention of the movie.

Rex Reed thought that Mother! deserved a once in 100 years award:

observer.com/2017/09/darren-aronofsky-mother-worst-movie-of-the-year/

True...but one could vent full time on the restricted thread of what to stay away from. Mind you what some think to be stimulating/provocative, to others they relish in it. Different strokes for different folks.

Q

I just did a run thru films available on Amazon Prime to stream -
We may do "The FInal Countdown" for the sheer fun of the Nuclear powered USS Nimitz slipped through time
by a freak electrical storm to just before the Pearl Harbor attack (I love time travel stories).
I know its navy propaganda - but - Kirk Douglas ... Martin Sheen ... Kathren Ross
I've seen worse - heck I've seen worse TODAY.

Watched the original Red Dawn last week - what a hoot -
we had not seen it since it was first run ... youngman Swayze, Charlie Sheen Jennifer Grey - hoots! What a piece of an era!

Mother! is just ****ing weird.

OK....speaking of weird, have you ever seen David Lynch`s "Eraserhead" ? :)
(or, anything from the John Waters Catalog Of Early Classics, such as "Female Trouble", "Desperate Living", "Pink Flamingos", "The Diane Linkletter Story", etc. ?)

Back
Top Bottom