Could it be true, iPhone going to USB type C

There is a problem with counterfeit ”C” cables that was so bad they actually were destroying Google’s Pixel phones. Google put the hurt on Amazon to remove the counterfeit cables.

As for the Lightning cable I only purchase Anker, and Amazon Basic cables cheaper and so much better than Apple’s delicate snowflake cables.

Working in retail sales for a cellphone carrier, we see a lot more damaged and worn micro-usb and usb-c ports than we do lightning ports. Those are almost never faulty or worn. You can unbend the pins inside of the port that make contact with the cable but even that’s hard to do unless you’re jamming sharp metal in there.

With Apple’s negative stance on right to repair and their unwillingness to repair anything previously repaired with third party parts this is just a small step to making Apple devices less reliable, easier to break, and tougher to service.

Never thought I’d be defending a proprietary standard.

There is a problem with counterfeit ”C” cables that was so bad they actually were destroying Google’s Pixel phones. Google put the hurt on Amazon to remove the counterfeit cables.

As for the Lightning cable I only purchase Anker, and Amazon Basic cables cheaper and so much better than Apple’s delicate snowflake cables.
We’ve got 4 Anker cables here, and all still work fine.

Have you heard if they are coming out with one of those lightning head adapter thingies?

No and I am waiting. The ones that are out now are junk.
Yeah.
I've got a couple of the Apple ones, and it's just a matter of time.

I did the retractable pen spring/shrinktube reinforcement trick on one of them, but I think I made it a little bit too strong.

I remember the laminations when Apple dumped the 30 pin connector I rejoiced I hated that dinosaur. The only problem I have ever had with the Lightning cable was the delicate nature of them. When I found Anker that problem was largely solved.

Yeah.
I've got a couple of the Apple ones, and it's just a matter of time.

I did the retractable pen spring/shrinktube reinforcement trick on one of them, but I think I made it a little bit too strong.
Your talking about the Lighting to 3.5mm?

I say it again, I have NEVER had a problem with the original Apple lightning cables -
or, the Amazon Basics cable either. Grab them by the plug and pull them loose just fine.

I'm still using an iPhone 6S+ - and so is my wife, no problems at all.

Got no need to let any gossip mongers drive us ...
I'll wait and watch and see what they go to next -
but we're in no rush to upgrade either way -
Hey, we still have actual headphone jacks on our phones!

Last edited:
Check this out I have one, very good. $39.99 the lightning, and 3.5mm side are metal. The cable is 30” long. The Lightning end easily fits in the iPhone 7+ Otterbox Defender case. it has a microphone, controls for volume, and answering the phone. Sounds better with my Shure SE-215’s about the same with the Etymotic hf3’s.

6AF36E97-FADB-4E8C-823F-7C3676DC1426.jpeg

Check this out I have one, very good. $39.99 the lightning, and 3.5mm side are metal. The cable is 30” long. The Lightning end easily fits in the iPhone 7+ Otterbox Defender case. it has a microphone, controls for volume, and answering the phone. Sounds better with my Shure SE-215’s about the same with the Etymotic hf3’s.

View attachment 1211185
Cool.
Do they make a shorter one?

Apple has never changed connectors for one that takes up more space. Ever. That’s literally all you need to know to understand that they are not going to go USB-c. No way. No how. And there is zero upside. A bigger fatter connector with no technical benefit (speed isn’t really a factor, the iPad Pro pushes 5gbps over lightning) is not going to find it’s way to iPhones.

Which is good, because its a solid standard that is about as trouble free as you can ask for. I don’t want to buy another round of cables for my house. There is a black hole in my home that swallows cables and power bricks. I should set a dash button up for anker cables...

I say it again, I have NEVER had a problem with the original Apple lightning cables -
or, the Amazon Basics cable either. Grab them by the plug and pull them loose just fine.

I'm still using an iPhone 6S+ - and so is my wife, no problems at all.

Got no need to let any gossip mongers drive us ...
I'll wait and watch and see what they go to next -
but we're in no rush to upgrade either way -
Hey, we still have actual headphone jacks on our phones!
I can't speak for others, but yanking by the cord isn't how ours went bad. There's something about how it frays near that joint due to twisting, I think.

Jealous about the headphone jack, for the record!

I can't speak for others, but yanking by the cord isn't how ours went bad. There's something about how it frays near that joint due to twisting, I think.

Jealous about the headphone jack, for the record!
I don’t know how much you’re tied to the Apple ecosystem but LG phones right now like the G7 and V30 have the absolute best headphone outputs.

I don’t know how much you’re tied to the Apple ecosystem but LG phones right now like the G7 and V30 have the absolute best headphone outputs.
I don't use headphones often - my car (2014 Honda) has a USB connector into the radio -
so a Lightening to USB cable works fine there. Better audio that way, and charges it, too
We have 2 iPhone 6S+ phones, a couple Mac computers, and use Apple WiFi in the house.
- and a bunch of Apple stock in my 401K ;)

I don't use headphones often - my car (2014 Honda) has a USB connector into the radio -
so a Lightening to USB cable works fine there.
We have 2 iPhone 6S+ phones, a couple Mac computers and use Apple WiFi in the house - and a bunch of Apple stock in my 401K ;)
I’m in the same boat minus the stock. Except my wife’s phone is just a regular 6S. I also have an LG V20 though that I use just for music.

Cool.

I'm not tied to the ecosystem really, but I would say I am an iphone guy.
My wife got a 4S back in the day, I got a 5, and I'm at the place where I'm just used to it. I got a great deal on 8 a few months ago, and have been happy with it.
Switching just because of the headphone jack wouldn't be worth it for me. Bitching about Apple dropping the jack, though? Yeah, fine with that, lol!

The major problem is most everybody has their iPhones in a protective case. My 7+ like the 6+ before it came out of the box and directly into an Otterbox Defender case. It has only been out of the case for a replacement case, or to replace a scratched glass screen protector. The recess in the case with the Apple Cable design makes it difficult to pull out the lightning plug without putting some strain on the cable end. The strain relief on the Apple cable sucks. The only way to do it without stressing the plug in the Defender case is with a needle nose pliers. But I have also had the insulation on the cable fail. It zips open exposing the wiring inside. Note the difference between the Apple and the Anker Cable. The Anker cable fits just fine in the Defender case.
DC8C94DF-BFF6-4421-844D-C4FDCCAB30F4.jpeg
288953BF-4E6C-4D68-9E19-1D8EDF796900.jpeg

The funny thing is at first it was annoying not being able to plug in my Ety’s while charging but now it is annoying to be hard wired to my iPhone. What I am waiting for, please Anker, please, please, please, is an adapter that combines a 3.5mm jack with a lightning port for charging there are a couple out but they are total junk.

D75A121B-63BE-4311-99D7-E41C8DBEDA9A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom