Flooring in a Listening Room

@Smitty43 , @gmc , @CLB3 : Great Listening Rooms........All Very Nice.

I'm still working on My Room 15' x 25' I'm Thinking about using High Impact Rubber Flooring. :idea:
gym-rubber-flooring-and-high-quality-gym-rubber-flooring-mat-sample-rubber-mat-flooring-l-ff65cf75ad4b0387.jpg

,Mike. :smoke:

Hard wood floors, large Persian rug, and a hairy white sound absorber that is easily moved. :)

FrostEOne - How do you like those SVS subs? I'm running a single Dayton sub in my system and I'm about to add a second one. They Dayton's sound great for what they are (cheap), but I've dreamed of getting a few SVS subs.

FrostEOne - How do you like those SVS subs? I'm running a single Dayton sub in my system and I'm about to add a second one. They Dayton's sound great for what they are (cheap), but I've dreamed of getting a few SVS subs.
Iokerola, I really like the SVS SB2000 subs, their sealed box like my Yamahas, meld in very well, quite musical, Regarding second sub, I could never do with a single again, I'm truly amazed at what they add to stereo. SVS offers 45 day risk free returns, they even pay return shipping, it was a no-brainer to try them. Keeping them!

Last edited:
Iokerola, I really like the SVS SB2000 subs, their sealed box like my Yamahas, meld in very well, quite musical, Regarding second sub, I could never do with a single again, I'm truly amazed at what they add to stereo. SVS offers 45 day risk free returns, they even pay return shipping, it was a no-brainer to try them. Keeping them!

Nice! I'm looking forward to getting my second sub hooked up. They're not SVS's, but they'll hold me over for a while. Thanks!

Nice! I'm looking forward to getting my second sub hooked up. They're not SVS's, but they'll hold me over for a while. Thanks!
I'm sure you'll like having 2 subs, may I ask how you're hooking them up?
Originally I was wired at HI speaker level, amp to sub crossovers, then to yamahas.
SVS urged me to connect subs to second set of outputs on preamp, leaving the yamahas connected directly to amp.
Tried this with old subs before purchasing SVS, improvement for sure.
Highly prefer this, allows the yamahas to do all they can unlimited, easier to blend in subs as well.

As a matter of a fact, that's how I plan on hooking them up. I have a new Parasound 2100 preamp on the way and it has 2 sub outs. My plan was to go from the Parasound sub-outs to each sub (2 separate cables, not a Y cable,) then have the amp connected to the speakers only. I've never hooked up subs this way, so I'm a bit nervous my dual sub plan won't sound as good as I'm hoping.

But that's good to hear that you've got it connected this way and it's working for you!

As a matter of a fact, that's how I plan on hooking them up. I have a new Parasound 2100 preamp on the way and it has 2 sub outs. My plan was to go from the Parasound sub-outs to each sub (2 separate cables, not a Y cable,) then have the amp connected to the speakers only. I've never hooked up subs this way, so I'm a bit nervous my dual sub plan won't sound as good as I'm hoping.

But that's good to hear that you've got it connected this way and it's working for you!

I just took at look at the Parasound 1200 preamp, interesting that it has main out and Hi Pass out (above 80Hz) plus the sub outs.
I'd like to mention you should feed both the left and right inputs on the subs, either wyes at sub outs of preamp with L&R cables or my preference single cable to each sub with wye connecting to both left and right on sub.

I just took at look at the Parasound 1200 preamp, interesting that it has main out and Hi Pass out (above 80Hz) plus the sub outs.
I'd like to mention you should feed both the left and right inputs on the subs, either wyes at sub outs of preamp with L&R cables or my preference single cable to each sub with wye connecting to both left and right on sub.

I just checked out the Dayton sub-800, my first set of subs had similar frequency specs, Cerwin-Vega 15S http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/subwoofers/xls-15s.html
You should seriously consider "true" subs (20Hz or lower), very noticeable difference.
The Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer goes down to 25Hz.

Yea, these are not "true" subs. I'll keep putting pennies in the bank for SVS's. :)

Here's a screenshot of the Parasound owners manual. I was planning on using the regular sub outs, not the hi pass sub outs. I was going to run a cable from each sub-out to each sub, individually.

Although there is also the "hi pass" output option for when you're using "small" speakers (according to the owner's manual). My EPI 500's are not small - they're 3 way's with 10" woofers. That's why I was thinking the regular sub out would be best, but maybe I should try the hi pass instead?

It seems the regular sub outs are dual mono outputs, and the hi pass are stereo. Hmmm......I guess I'll just try both and see what sounds best.

subouts2.png

I had wall to wall until my dog became incontinent in his later years. After he passed away we pulled out the stinking carpet. I don't care how much you wash, and dry vac, the smell of urine doesn't all go away. Right away the sound was soooo much like a gymnasium. Very echoy/ bright. I kind of liked it for a few days, but if you clap your hands in the room it sounded like you were in a small gym. So we installed a thin area rug leaving some of the hardwood floor bare. This suits my taste.

I suggest you clap your hands and listen to the amount of "lively-nes" of your room. I don't think you want as much echo as a gym, but too much absorption leads to a dead sounding room.

Yea, these are not "true" subs. I'll keep putting pennies in the bank for SVS's. :)

Here's a screenshot of the Parasound owners manual. I was planning on using the regular sub outs, not the hi pass sub outs. I was going to run a cable from each sub-out to each sub, individually.

Although there is also the "hi pass" output option for when you're using "small" speakers (according to the owner's manual). My EPI 500's are not small - they're 3 way's with 10" woofers. That's why I was thinking the regular sub out would be best, but maybe I should try the hi pass instead?

It seems the regular sub outs are dual mono outputs, and the hi pass are stereo. Hmmm......I guess I'll just try both and see what sounds best.

View attachment 1211760
subouts2.png

No apologies needed and I still need to do the flooring in my room. Just got too much going on now.

Back
Top Bottom