Anyone shop at Total Wine?

tnmike1

AK Member
Just opened here in Knoxville . Sounds exciting but it's a half hour drive from my home. Have seen the ads, gotten brochures in the mail and looks interesting. But their prices are the same as my local liquor store so my question is whether the drive is worth it or not?

Not familiar with that particular vendor, but laws regarding the distribution and sale of alcoholic beverages vary dramatically state to state. In my particular state (PA), we are undergoing a massive restructuring of the regulatory status of alcoholic beverages, but they are still heavily taxed and minimum pricing is controlled by the state. There are a lot of new "boutique" beverage stores opening, and offering a wider selection, but their pricing remains the same (or higher) than the state operated stores.

Total Wines is worth the drive without doubt. They have a huge selection of everything or anything you could want and have that old school liquor store vibe with excellent customer service. I love that store and wish I had one closer to home but it's worth driving to I'm heading over there Friday afternoon.

Last edited:
Saying their selections of wine and liquors is overwhelming is beyond an understatement.
Our store(Old Country Rd.Westbury) is in a former Sports Authority building. Filled floor to ceiling.
From $5 jug wine to $1000 single malts, there is something for everyone!

I do from time to time. Mostly for the beer selection. I'm not a big wine drinker, and they can't sell liquor in this state (stupid ABC laws).

They're alright. There are a couple local places here with better selection and similar prices, but if you're in a less well served area they'll have stuff you can't get elsewhere.

Total Wines is worth the drive without doubt. They have a huge selection of everything or anything you could want and have that old school liquor store vibe with excellent customer service. I love that store and wish I had one closer to home but it's worth driving to I'm heading over there Friday afternoon.

This was not my experience. I have a rather large neighborhood liquor (and wine) store. One side is all liquor and the other is wine and beer (with their own micro brew taps). TW was not any cheaper and selection was not any better (just slightly different). Also not worth the 30 min drive (each way).

Yea, think Costco but all alcohol. Various locations differ though. One in Delaware and in MD we go to are great.

I had to quit drinking recently though due to health reasons and meds (not alcohol related). Life can change in a flash!

I do from time to time. Mostly for the beer selection. I'm not a big wine drinker, and they can't sell liquor in this state (stupid ABC laws).

This was not my experience. I have a rather large neighborhood liquor (and wine) store. One side is all liquor and the other is wine and beer (with their own micro brew taps). TW was not any cheaper and selection was not any better (just slightly different). Also not worth the 30 min drive (each way).

Evidently the stores vary in different regions. Lived in Chicago for 45 years and know what real liquor stores are about and the TW's here are huge and have an incredible variety and the prices very good.

Yea, think Costco but all alcohol. Various locations differ though. One in Delaware and in MD we go to are great.

I had to quit drinking recently though due to health reasons and meds (not alcohol related). Life can change in a flash!

Sorry to hear, I went through some major health issues last year myself non alcohol related, but I'm still able to enjoy adult beverages.

Evidently the stores vary in different regions. Lived in Chicago for 45 years and know what real liquor stores are about and the TW's here are huge and have an incredible variety and the prices very good.

Yeah they have to vary due to state laws. Be thankful you aren’t in a ABC state.

I used to buy up and coming bourbon varieties from there for far better prices than usual. They were the only place where I could buy the Weller varieties by cases before most of them became ridiculously expensive. Hunting for rare stuffs like Pappy Van Winkle, I tried making personal connection with a few of the employees but that didn't go anywhere.

Last edited:
visited there yesterday. Found lots of interesting stuff no one else in Knoxville carries----like dozens of bitters, syrups for making your own tonic water, and their Spirits Direct. Seems they're so large they get distilleries to private label spirits; i.e. I llike Tito's vodka, but the manager there said they have a private label from Texas that tastes just like Titos at almost half the price. Ditto for some gins and Canadian whisky. They are also the only ones here that have Fever Tree Mediterranean and Elderflower tonic waters. Also like the fact I can order online and my order is waiting when I arrive. Wife and I like to go to a nearby restaurant so I may order once monthly and pick up when we go eat. O and they also track my orders and email me when they have classes or sales on my preferred spirits. Quite interesting

We've got one about the same distance from us and we've only shopped there once. They do have a very large selection, good prices, and make your own six-pack is cool.

I do most of my liquor shopping at a large, local chain. Twice a year they have a dollar sale - prices are their cost plus $1. I've been known to buy as many as a dozen bottles; can easily be savings of $8-12 per bottle.

We also have Spec's (from Houston), similar sized/stocked stores, that were established before Total Wine came in. I have one of these about fifteen minutes away and will stop in there if it's convenient.

Alan

I’m have gone to the one on beach blvd in Huntington Beach, Ca when in town. Nice selection prices are better than in my area (I live in Utah) and the selection is quite a bit better. There are other places I’ve gone in SoCal but I’ve only been to total wine multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom