Do my Shure M95ED stylus still okay or not with a little bent ?

liemjerry

Hello

I have Shure M95ED with stylus on it.
I saw that my stylus condition is as on the attachment file of this thread. Not bent deeply, I saw just a little bent as seen on photos.

- Is that condition still okay or not?
- Do I need replace my needle/cartridge or not?
- Does it will affect in playing vinyl like skipping or not?

Thank you

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 128
I definitely would not play any records with it like that.:yikes:

You'll need a new stylus at minimum.

As far as current production, Jico makes the best available replacements. New old stock is an option, if you can find one.

Of the generic needles, the Tonar branded ones seem to be the best for that cart.

Jico is the best choice for non new old stock.

That is a very good cart, it's worth getting a stylus for.

There is a nice Normarh .2 X .7 elliptical stylus for a very good price on EBay - $15.00 USD free shipping from Canada. :)

Buy it now, not an auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Stylus...984272?hash=item239cb552d0:g:WLIAAOSwv~lasalJ

My experience with Normarh is limited to a sample size of 1 (also from a Canadian seller), but it was absolutely the worst stylus I have ever owned. Horrible sound and horrible tracking. It looked like a quality product (soldered tie wire), but it wasn't. It was just plain garbage. It was so bad that it convinced me to never try another Normarh stylus even if they were giving them away for free.

But, that's just me and like I said, sample size == 1. Full disclosure, the Normarh stylus I tried was for a Shure M75ED, not an M95ED.

I haven't tried it, but the JICO hyperelliptical fo6 the M95ED gets very positive reviews:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JICO-Shure...021557?hash=item44209e4d75:g:bNsAAOSwM9RbI-BR

It's nearly 6x the cost of the Normarh, but sometimes, you get what you pay for.

My experience with Normarh is limited to a sample size of 1 (also from a Canadian seller), but it was absolutely the worst stylus I have ever owned. Horrible sound and horrible tracking. It looked like a quality product (soldered tie wire), but it wasn't. It was just plain garbage. It was so bad that it convinced me to never try another Normarh stylus even if they were giving them away for free.

But, that's just me and like I said, sample size == 1.

I haven't tried it, but the JICO hyperelliptical fo6 the M95ED gets very positive reviews:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JICO-Shure...021557?hash=item44209e4d75:g:bNsAAOSwM9RbI-BR

It's nearly 6x the cost of the Normarh, but sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Still cheaper than buying the full cart OP was planning to replace the Shure with. ;)

The Shure M95ED is an excellent cartridge. Certainly worthy of a $88 hyperelliptical replacement stylus from a quality manufacturer.

I'm gad the M97 I picked up (Realistic RXT4 really) was a killer deal, because the fact that the N95HE stylus is $50 cheaper than the N97HE I just bought is a bit painful.

My two-cents worth on the M95 is that short of an original Shure branded stylus, I'd settle or nothing less than a N95HE at ~$90 as suggested above ( I use and enjoy the LP gear N95HE for reference).
Again, just my experience but, the generic N95ed stylus' out there leave a lot to be desired.

Ben

My two-cents worth on the M95 is that short of an original Shure branded stylus, I'd settle or nothing less than a N95HE at ~$90 as suggested above ( I use and enjoy the LP gear N95HE for reference).
Again, just my experience but, the generic N95ed stylus' out there leave a lot to be desired.

Ben

Ben

The less expensive Jico ellipticals are nice too.

Do you use the VividLine then? I had a hard time choosing between the VividLine and the Jico HE. For the 97 I ended up going for the Jico as it retains the telescoping cantilever and I don't believe the VividLine does. If I were buying for the M95 I might give the VividLine a shot.

The stylus on your N95 cartridge is NOT a N95 type at all, to start off with. That looks like a generic VN35 stylus, which is totally wrong, as it has a narrower shank. I wonder how it's holding in place. Search "google images" for the N95ED stylus so you can see what it looks like. And, like said above, apart from a new old stock one, the best option is to get yourself a JICO replacement. Either one, ED or HE, will sound better than the one you have right now.

I have a Shure/Realistic R47XT, with a JICO HE stylus. The R47XT is a rebranded M95, from the information I have been able to find. I can tell you that the HE stylus is MUCH better than a standard elliptical. Maybe it's just me, but I think it sounds better than an Ortofon 2M Blue. (I have one of those as well) Not by much, and not everyone would agree with that, but they're not in my room listening to my gear! The HE stylus is worth the $80-90, in my opinion...

I have a Shure/Realistic R47XT, with a JICO HE stylus. The R47XT is a rebranded M95, from the information I have been able to find. I can tell you that the HE stylus is MUCH better than a standard elliptical. Maybe it's just me, but I think it sounds better than an Ortofon 2M Blue. (I have one of those as well) Not by much, and not everyone would agree with that, but they're not in my room listening to my gear! The HE stylus is worth the $80-90, in my opinion...

Which JICO HE are you running on your R47XT? I have an R47XT with a NOS Shure Ne95ED stylus and would love to hear how it sounds with a hyperelliptical. I don't see anything on the JICO, LPTunes or LPGear sites. Or, did you trim the shroud on your R47XT to allow it to accept standard N95 stylii?

As nearly as I can tell, the HE I got is a JICO, same light blue paint dot on the cantilever. I purchased the LP Gear HE 5X replacement stylus(SHR5XHE), just a couple of months ago. But, looking at their site now, I can't find it anywhere. They seem to have replaced the Hyperelliptical with a Vivid Line stylus, at the same price. The VL, from what I have heard, is or can be quite sensitive to VTA as well as VTF. And, as my Sl-1800 has no provision for tonearm height adjustment, I thought the HE would be the better choice. You might still be able to find an HE at LP Tunes. Wish I could be more helpful, but I seem to have misplaced the reciept....

Just checked, and LP Tunes DOES have the LP Gear 5XHE, for $80, hope this helps!!

As nearly as I can tell, the HE I got is a JICO, same light blue paint dot on the cantilever. I purchased the LP Gear HE 5X replacement stylus(SHR5XHE), just a couple of months ago. But, looking at their site now, I can't find it anywhere. They seem to have replaced the Hyperelliptical with a Vivid Line stylus, at the same price. The VL, from what I have heard, is or can be quite sensitive to VTA as well as VTF. And, as my Sl-1800 has no provision for tonearm height adjustment, I thought the HE would be the better choice. You might still be able to find an HE at LP Tunes. Wish I could be more helpful, but I seem to have misplaced the reciept....

Just checked, and LP Tunes DOES have the LP Gear 5XHE, for $80, hope this helps!!

Thanks! Is this the one you have:

https://lptunes.com/products/hyperelliptical-replacement-for-shure-5x-stylus

It so weird that LPTunes has it, but LPGear doesn't. When I search LPGear, all I find are two versions of the VividLine:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/RSR5XHE.html

https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHR5XHE.html

No, mine is the black housing with the clear stylus guard. The part number on the LP Tunes website: RSR5XHE

That would be the one! If you get it, I'd be curious to know what you think. Mine took a bit of experimenting with VTF and anti-skate. I'm running it at 1.75 grams, and just less than 1.6 grams of anti-skate. Although the specs say .75-1.5gm, I find it actually sounds MUCH better at a slightly higher tracking force. You may have to play with the AS to find the best setting for your table. Good luck!

once again, If condition like on my photos, are they are still ok just for working (not to keep) or not?

Back
Top Bottom