Do my Shure M95ED stylus still okay or not with a little bent ?

once again, If condition like on my photos, are they are still ok just for working (not to keep) or not?

That was answered in the very first reply you received:

I definitely would not play any records with it like that.:yikes:

You'll need a new stylus at minimum.

Why are you even thinking about using it? Get a replacement. Even a cheap one like a JICO made EVG or a Pfandstiehl would be better than the broken one you have.

That's not a "little bent". It's not worth saving.

Buy a cheap one like one of these at Voice Of Music and you will be better off than where you are now by far. I would go with the EVG branded one.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cat...Type=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Shure&Categories=

These guys are right that you can get better sound results by spending more but those extra benefits might be lost on you. No offence but we don't know what your system is like and how critical your ears or listening habits are. However you need to do something. Spend the price of just one record to save all of the ones you have from certain damage.

I'd buy the EVG from ebay that @MCM_Fan showed. It is manufactured by Jico. The one from TVOM is made by the same Swiss company that supplies Pfanstiehl. Many times they aren't as good.

I'd buy the EVG from ebay that @MCM_Fan showed. It is manufactured by Jico. The one from TVOM is made by the same Swiss company that supplies Pfanstiehl. Many times they aren't as good.

Yes, you would and that's fine for you, no doubt. But it's still a Lexus compared to the $16 EVG Toyota at VOM and a Toyota might be just fine for our new friend. :)

I've used those basic EVGs on numerous repairs and they are totally acceptable.

Yes, you would and that's fine for you, no doubt. But it's still a Lexus compared to the $16 EVG Toyota at VOM and a Toyota might be just fine for our new friend. :)

I've used those basic EVGs on numerous repairs and they are totally acceptable.
If you reread my previous post and MCM_Fan's, you'll find that the one on Ebay in his last post is an EVG. And as I said, it just happens to be made by Jico instead of the Swiss company that supplies Pfanstiehl. It's really $17.95 with free shipping, too.:crazy:

I think I read that EVG is sourcing from Switzerland now. Ebay sellers may / not be updating their listings. Shure NOS or Jico Japan is worth it in my opinion.

If you reread my previous post and MCM_Fan's, you'll find that the one on Ebay in his last post is an EVG. And as I said, it just happens to be made by Jico instead of the Swiss company that supplies Pfanstiehl. It's really $17.95 with free shipping, too.:crazy:

There were about 8 links in the previous posts and several to $80 or $88 models, including one promoted by MCM. I didn't follow all of them and thought that price level was what you meant. Oops, my bad.

Also, when I followed the link just now, ebay knew I was looking from Canada and didn't state a shipping cost, just "ask for quote". Free (USA only I guess) is good. :)

Last edited:
I think I read that EVG is sourcing from Switzerland now. Ebay sellers may / not be updating their listings. Shure NOS or Jico Japan is worth it in my opinion.

Yes, JICO branded JICO and NOS Shure are the best options, in terms of quality and performance. However, the OP seems reluctant to spend anything on a new stylus. In which case the JICO made EVG represents a good value for less than the cost of a single new album. I've used both JICO made EVGs and the Swiss Pfanstiels and prefer the JICO made EVGs.

As noted, when LPTunes became the official JICO North American distributor, JICO stopped supplying products to EVG. Any remaining JICO made EVGs are just dealers selling through their inventory on hand.

The best way to make sure you are getting one of the remaining JICO made EVGs is to simply ask the seller. I have bought from both Gary and The Voice of Music and Carole, stereoneedleslady on eBay. Both are honest and respond promptly to questions. Gary's web site is always up to date and you get exactly what is advertised. With any eBay seller, I'd recommend specifically asking them if you will get a JIC made EVG. Worst case, if they say you will and you don't, eBay has a very buyer friendly return policy.

You should be able to email Gary at TVOM, he's got to be familiar enough with these to distinguish between the Swiss/Japanese stock and send you what you request accordingly.

once again, If condition like on my photos, are they are still ok just for working (not to keep) or not?
Even if it really was "a little bent", it would be highly advisable to swap the stylus for a new one. On the other hand, what you have here is severe damage, to the point where you'd be 1000 times better with even the cheapest, generic replacement. It might not sound the same as original (when it wasn't damaged, of course), but at least it won't ruin your vinyl collection.

You should be able to email Gary at TVOM, he's got to be familiar enough with these to distinguish between the Swiss/Japanese stock and send you what you request accordingly.

Yes, Gary is a very straight shooter and will tell you exactly what you are getting. However, in this case, you don't even need to email him. His web site is up to date, and while he does still have some JICO made EVGs in stock for other Shure cartridges, for the M95ED he is now selling Swiss made EVGs:

upload_2018-7-13_6-57-10.png

The Swiss made stylii aren't terrible, but in a side by side comparison, I preferred the JICO made EVG. IMHO, if you are looking to spend less than 20 bucks on a replacement stylus for a vintage Shure cartridge, they are worth tracking down, while you can still get them. If you're willing to spend more, a JICO branded JICO or a NOS Shure are even better.

The stylus on your N95 cartridge is NOT a N95 type at all, to start off with. That looks like a generic VN35 stylus, which is totally wrong, as it has a narrower shank. I wonder how it's holding in place. Search "google images" for the N95ED stylus so you can see what it looks like. And, like said above, apart from a new old stock one, the best option is to get yourself a JICO replacement. Either one, ED or HE, will sound better than the one you have right now.

Also @liemjerry be sure to note this comment above, you’ve got the wrong stylus in that M95 cartridge anyway. When you get the correct stylus (whether you go for a higher priced one or not) it will probably have a yellow grip and will be a much better fit.

The best way to make sure you are getting one of the remaining JICO made EVGs is to simply ask the seller. I have bought from both Gary and The Voice of Music and Carole, stereoneedleslady on eBay. Both are honest and respond promptly to questions. Gary's web site is always up to date and you get exactly what is advertised. With any eBay seller, I'd recommend specifically asking them if you will get a JIC made EVG. Worst case, if they say you will and you don't, eBay has a very buyer friendly return policy.
I have bought from Carole's needles on ebay at least a dozen times. She is trustworthy. She even sent me a stylus to replace one that got lost in the mail (not her fault) at no charge. I've only bought from Gary @ TVOM once so far, but he seems great to deal with. His advice was also helpful when I emailed him.

I must amend my previous post concerning VTF and AS settings for the hyperelliptical stylus, in case anyone is interested.

As late as Tuesday(the last time I listened, and with headphones), the R47XT set at 1.75g VTF/1.6g AS sounded pretty decent. Today however, through my speakers, the sound was muddy, and the highs seemed to have diminished considerably. I lowered and equalized the VTF/AS to 1.25g, and the sound was MUCH improved, even better than before at the higher settings. I have never had a stylus that took so long to bed in!! I've had the HE stylus for a couple of months, and thought it was about as good as it was going to get. I was wrong...

Last edited:
yes, I think Shure N-447-7 is quite good choice

Good choice for what?

If you're referring to the Shure N44-7, it's a relatively heavy tracking conical replacement stylus for the Shure M44-7 cartridge. It will not fit your M95ED.

You have been given a lot of very good advice on inexpensive to moderately priced replacement stylus options for your M95ED. For some reason, you seem very determined to ignore that advice.

Good choice for what?

If you're referring to the Shure N44-7, it's a relatively heavy tracking conical replacement stylus for the Shure M44-7 cartridge. It will not fit your M95ED.

You have been given a lot of very good advice on inexpensive to moderately priced replacement stylus options for your M95ED. For some reason, you seem very determined to ignore that advice.
+1
Exactly what I would have said.

+1
Exactly what I would have said.
++1

As for the the Swiss Vs. Jico EVG N95, I bought an EVG N95 a few months ago ($40 on ebay), not sure if its JICO or Swiss made (I suspect Swiss, NOT JICO) but found it to be about the same as the Pfanstiehl generic (~$15 on ebay) in terms of sound quality.
What I truly mean is that I found BOTH the EVG and the Pfanstiehl to be terribly sibilant, especially on vocals and high-hats.

Do the JICO EVGs say JICO?

The LP Gear HE I use, I bought ~2-years ago but didnt really start using it until recently and it is night an day in terms of sound, just wayyyy more pleasant and non-sibilant (but also costs more @ ~ $80).

I also should really caveat my posts on this matter by pointing out that I am using a Realistic R9000E-LWS integrated headshell/cartridge and not a "true M95," for what its worth.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom