The largest Klipsch Heritage speaker in a small room?

I have a pair of refreshed Quartets in an open floorplan space about 25x35 and more open space off to one side. The listening position is only about 10 ft. away. The speakers are about 7 ft. apart about 18" from the wall, slightly angled in towards the main listening position. They sound pretty good all over the main area, and great in the main listening position. I also have a subwoofer, but you don't really need it.

I have a pair of La Scalas in an irregularly shaped room (diagnoally cut corner in one corner, opposite a bay window) that is about the same square footage as what you're describing; and, you guessed it, they're overkill. Nice overkill, but overkill nonetheless. I have 10' ceilings, though, if that makes a difference.

I would have gone with Heresy speakers or a different brand, but, I got these for cheap so I decided to try them out.

Hello...my room is 11,5 x 14,5 with 6,7' ceilings. That is 1117 qubic feet....I love our metric system ;)
Yesterday I had to stay home and had the chance to listen very loud with my Fortés.
As loud as my SET-amp can go....VERY loud.
I still have a grin in my face because I never had a system that sounded better.
So...small room and Fortés is absolutely no problem!

Not my actual system but the room like the rack, the preceiver, the SET-amp and the speakers are still the same.

anlage_845434.jpg

I think I'm going to toss a curve to you...

After talking to Roy (Delgado at Klipsch), his general comment (belief) is that a larger horn works better in a smaller room.
That's about the same room size as my audio tomb and Khorns are the best speakers of all including cornwall heresy shorthorns.
See the Fortes in the picture just above this post? cornerhorns take up less floor space than that arrangement. AND you can put Fortes in front of the khorns. Or hang pictures on the front or stack laundry baskets or a small kegerator. I have cornwalls in front of my khorns at the moment.

I have my cornwalls on a wall with a solid 30 feet of separation. Sure you can get them in a 12 by 14 but can you get what they have too offer in there. Your call...your whip. I dont run subs other than for home theatre. 2 channel stereo never. I think you might rethink how you plan your space. Its easy to o past a point that really degrades. If the space is only short term perhaps but for any length of time there are other choices. 20180715_052611.jpggood luck!
"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left "

I bought a pair of cornerhorns back when I was wet behind the ears. Brand new $1000 bucks or there bouts walnut beautys. They delivered them to my little house and it suddenly becomes smaller it still was amazing and I enjoyed them but started lookinv for another house to rent
I found one and that was the beginning. Those corners are long gone and now a pair of 50 year old Cornwall lls
are my main 2 channel speakers. Its all about what you wish every one has an opinion among other things. In a room that small to realize the potential its going to be difficult. I think you will probably want that sub. When you do get an environment that you can let loose you will most likely kick that sub to the curb. Any thing of a design prior to PK's step back and chill never needed any help reproducing live music. If you enjoy live music klipsch is as good as it gets. If you like clinical studio mastered perfect
As possible with track after track " mastered" a different direction might be in order. We always had a saying that "live music is best" I have always followed that lead. I am lucky in that I have a variety of equipment but 90% of music in my home is played through klipsch.
I have always believed live music is klipsch...

The couch is against the wall with acoustic treatments behind the listener(s) head. The speaker are on the opposite wall (short) to provide the greatest distance from the listening position.

:(
That reminded me of when I used to work for this rich fella who gave his son $60000 to help buy a certain boat the kid wanted (the kid was 21 and making 6 figures working for his dad just transferring phone calls) and I happened to be leaving for the day and caught them in the lot right when daddy gave jr the check. The old man told me the amount and what it was for and then in a slightly raised voice asked me what I paid for my house. Surprised by the question I told him, and seen the smile go away from his face as he stated “oh, I thought maybe my boys boat was going to cost more than your house”. I was taken aback but managed a “yeah look who I work for” before pulling out of there all pissed of. Just goes to show you money can’t buy class.

I presently have a pair of khorns in my small (11x18') room. The room has an oddball shape and I'm not able to get good seal in the corners with the khorns but they're still the best sounding of the klipsch line I've had in that room. Chorus II's were painful to listen to, Heresy's even stacked were very disappointing, and kg4's didn't last long in there either. The khorns replaced stacked Mac ML1C's which replaced a pair of Bozak Concert Grands. Yes you sure can get decent sound from large speakers in a small room if that's all you have to work with.

I have khorns in a 15x26 room on the short wall firing down the long wall. For my ears, I wouldn't want to put them any closer together. Yeah, they'd still sound good, but be severely compromised. But I have heard Fortes in a room similar to yours and they sound great. That would be my recommendation.

I have a pair of refreshed Quartets in an open floorplan space about 25x35 and more open space off to one side. The listening position is only about 10 ft. away. The speakers are about 7 ft. apart about 18" from the wall, slightly angled in towards the main listening position. They sound pretty good all over the main area, and great in the main listening position. I also have a subwoofer, but you don't really need it.

Quartets . All ya need

Gotta admit—and as much as I love the Fortés—the Quartets were what I was thinking as I read this thread.

P1000180-001.jpg

5394191384_ee1eefefd2_b.jpg

I go back and forth on whether my room is big enough. I'm sure more space would open them up, and I wish I could get them on the long wall, but that said they still sound great and don't plan on ever getting rid of them.

cornwall1.jpg

I've always been of the mind that if you love your old-school Klipsch speakers as much as a few of we addicts do, you'll find a way, or a place, to make them sing. I've owned mine for more years than I care to admit in spaces not conducive to great sound but, after all those years, I finally found a place that now suits their characteristics perfectly.

Not sure if that's the best route for everyone but once I got my Big Birch Boxes, I always looked for places and spaces that would let them be the Klipsch speakers their papa Paul wanted to them to be. The cool thing about these old guys is that they used real wood to build them. That's why I think they all have a soul. ;)

I go back and forth on whether my room is big enough. I'm sure more space would open them up, and I wish I could get them on the long wall, but that said they still sound great and don't plan on ever getting rid of them.

cornwall1.jpg

Curious--why can't they go on the long wall? There's audio equipment there anyway. And the couch opposite, and you already have wood blinds to help handle reflections from the window.... pls excuse if you have explained this elsewhere.... Sweet Cornwalls incidentally. One of my all-time favorite loudspeakers.

Curious--why can't they go on the long wall? There's audio equipment there anyway. And the couch opposite, and you already have wood blinds to help handle reflections from the window.... pls excuse if you have explained this elsewhere.... Sweet Cornwalls incidentally. One of my all-time favorite loudspeakers.

livingroom.jpg

Back
Top Bottom