Problem with Macbook Optical Out

Yep, 16 or 24. And I've tried sending 16 bit as well, again to no avail.

Is your MB outputting ANALOG audio through the audio out jack? If so what is the source you're using? Do you by any chance have AirPlay configured to divert your digital audio elsewhere?

Is your MB outputting ANALOG audio through the audio out jack?

What, as well as SPDIF? We've established that the SPDIF TOSlink driver does appear to be working. Or, at least, turning the driver on; maybe it's just not modulating it with a binary stream... My cheap android media box leaves the driver in a random state (on or off) if I play and stop music. The on state is brighter than the actively modulated state.

Last edited:
What, as well as SPDIF? We've established that the SPDIF TOSlink driver does appear to be working. Or, at least, turning the driver on; maybe it's just not modulating it with a binary stream... My cheap android andro box leaves the driver in a random state (on or off) if I play and stop music. The on state is brighter than the actively modulated state.

Don't be snarky; we're ALL simply trying to help the OP.

I ask whether analog is being produced in order to determine whether there is something misconfigured or broken with the most basic audio function: analog music. Once a credible analog chain is established from source through the audio output jack to headphones/earbuds, then the changeover to digital can be made (cable swap as well as receiver target) and an evaluation made.

No problem. Do you agree that the OP should establish a working analog audio chain before he resorts to chasing down digital gremlins?

I regularly play music over headphones so I know that works, and last night I hooked it up to the stereo with via RCA and that also functions. My sources are iTunes (MP3, m4a, ALAC), Spotify, internet sites, all of which function perfectly well over analog. Airplay isn't involved in the process. Changing from analog to digital (removing headphones and plugging in the mini-Toslink) mid-song has the same end result: no sound.

You've eliminated the Denon receiver and both cables as causes. Therefore, the problem is with the MB. Unless you've loaded some sound application software or some kind of utility, there's no reason your optical out shouldn't be working. and, if it's not software, it's hardware. Therefore, you've got a hardware problem. Hello, Genius Bar. Good luck.

I'd try cleaning the MB's port, just to make sure it's not full of fluff...

Failure to lock suggests a poor signal strength, rather than no signal at all.

I'll try giving it a clean. I'd already blown into it, but I'll try having a rummage with a cotton bud or something.

I tried Apple Support this morning and they were more than useless. They wouldn't even confirm to me that my Macbook Pro (Retina, Late-2013) supports optical out, even though their own website says it does! Would it even be possible for it to register that a digital cable had been attached if the hardware didn't support it? I'd imagine not. Anyway, nearest genius bar is a couple of hours away, so without another reason to go I'll guess I'll have to leave it for now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

In the back of my head I keep thinking the mac's Optical out is just for network connectivity, not an optical audio out port.

In the back of my head I keep thinking the mac's Optical out is just for network connectivity, not an optical audio out port.

No, it's for digital audio line out. It's combined with the headphone port, so requires a mini-Toslink adaptor. It's not the shape of a network port.

Pardon me if this is a silly suggestion. But is the Denon set up to receive 2 ch. PCM? As opposed to multi-channel 5.1 or 7.1 surround floobity flobbity?

I am strictly 2- channel and in the past have had problems trying to help friends with their HT receivers only to be stumped by that or similar scenarios. I can see where if the tv is set up to output surround encoded signal and the Denon is set up to be looking for same they would communicate just fine. I wouldn't assume just because the tv worked it means there is a problem with the Mac.

It's a 2-channel receiver, so no problems on that front. I had to change the TV from surround to 2-channel to get it to work.

No more progress on this. I gave the port a good clean and still no dice. Will just have to wait until I have another need to go to the nearest city with an apple store to see if they can find a solution.

Back
Top Bottom