Help me spend $1500

I saw a similar question in another forum aimed primarily at High End users — "Can someone recommend a good DAC? I don't want to go crazy on price, $15K is my limit."

BTW, may I ask which transport you chose? I'm in that process now...

I have not decided yet. I am getting more confused the more I look.

This is a WAY better option than that TEAC. Not even close.

Just wondering what about the teac is a let down to you?

Btw I don't ask to be argumentative or anything of the sort. I've read your thoughts on digital and felt you've given it allot of time and thought. So I ask with genuine interest.

I've come close to grabbing a prism lyra. Any thoughts on that unit?

Thanks much

You'll have to excuse my comment slightly, as I have heard the 501 but not the 503. I'm sure the 503 is an improvement. I felt the 501 left the music flat and unexciting. I felt it was more neutral than what I heard out of both the Sonos and Bluesound internal DACs, but just wasn't very "forward," if I can use that term.

The Mytek provides an exceptional depth of soundstage and has all those other bells and whistles, including full MQA and a useful phono pre.

After reading more about the 503 I am intrigued and would like to have a listen. I wouldn't expect it to beat the Mytek, but it's also half the price. It looks like a real nice unit. That being said, if it has the same sound sig that the 501 has, it's not my bag - but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be yours.

UD-501: http://www.teac.com/product/ud-501/
UD-503: http://www.teac.com/product/ud-503/

You'll have to excuse my comment slightly, as I have heard the 501 but not the 503. I'm sure the 503 is an improvement. I felt the 501 left the music flat and unexciting. I felt it was more neutral than what I heard out of both the Sonos and Bluesound internal DACs, but just wasn't very "forward," if I can use that term.

The Mytek provides an exceptional depth of soundstage and has all those other bells and whistles, including full MQA and a useful phono pre.

After reading more about the 503 I am intrigued and would like to have a listen. I wouldn't expect it to beat the Mytek, but it's also half the price. It looks like a real nice unit. That being said, if it has the same sound sig that the 501 has, it's not my bag - but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be yours.

UD-501: http://www.teac.com/product/ud-501/
UD-503: http://www.teac.com/product/ud-503/
What about the new Teac 505?

Well it sure is fun to decide on what you want to get. I like the PS audio NU wave. It will only cost you less than half of your amount and it is by far the best one I have used. It is also really well built and looks good.

If you want an analog sounding unit...with a great DAC chip..Well, I guess its not a stand alone DAC, but it doesnt have a digital IN...But the DAC section is awesome.

I saw online this:
SONIC FRONTIERS SFCD-1 SE CD Player - UA D20400A 20-BIT Ladder DAC chip and tubes and updated Mundorf caps...$1350.00.

1947871-sonic-frontiers-sfcd-1-se-cd-player-upgraded-by-chris-johnson-excellent.jpg
1947872-sonic-frontiers-sfcd-1-se-cd-player-upgraded-by-chris-johnson-excellent.jpg

I'm surprised the Ayre Codex wasn't a suggestion to the OP.

Has anyone been able to listen to one side by side with the McIntosh? I was very impressed by the Ayre when I heard it, and the price is pretty close to the 1500 budget.

Slightly over budget, but a first quality hand assembled in USA unit with an excellent balanced discrete JFET analog stage (no op amps) - which is what I find makes the most audible difference. Dual power supplies.

Audio Research DAC7

thanks guys for the input. I ended up with the D150 from Agon. He came very close to my budget. I came very close to pulling the trigger on the Mytek Brooklyn, everything I read about it was good and it had MQA. The other options like phono stage would not have been used. Now help me find a streamer. I don't know much about them but it seems like roon ready is the way to go.

I'm curious and would like to hear your impressions on the D150.

If you want an analog sounding unit...with a great DAC chip..Well, I guess its not a stand alone DAC, but it doesnt have a digital IN...But the DAC section is awesome.

I saw online this:
SONIC FRONTIERS SFCD-1 SE CD Player - UA D20400A 20-BIT Ladder DAC chip and tubes and updated Mundorf caps...$1350.00.

1947871-sonic-frontiers-sfcd-1-se-cd-player-upgraded-by-chris-johnson-excellent.jpg
1947872-sonic-frontiers-sfcd-1-se-cd-player-upgraded-by-chris-johnson-excellent.jpg
The ultra analog based DACs have a good following for R2R DACs. Most musical Ive heard whether in the sonic frontiers or mark levinson. For a current R2R DAC, you may also want to look at the Denafrips line of DACs.

Back
Top Bottom