Best small receiver (physically)

Second on the late 60s early 70s HH Scotts. The 342-C (Does the C indicate a certain chassis size?) is only 4.75x15x11" (HWD), much smaller than similar vintage Japanese built receivers. Interestingly the solid metal case has no vent holes yet it does not get very hot in normal use. Picture of one all lit up. Like early Sherwoods may need a power switch added when the one on the volume control fails. A former fix and repair wreck I am glad to have returned to being fully functional. Like a 2000A seems to punch above its weight class.
IMG_20180518_232747.jpg]

Pioneer SX-680.
Small with a surprising amount of punch.

Usual problem is a power voltage regulator fails. Drop a new transister in there and it’s good. IIRC, when that regulator goes, you lose the tuner.

Advent 300, small compact and packs a punch! Affordable and solid built!

I'm firmly in the Advent 300 enthusiast camp. I would have plugged it in this thread if the estimable mhardy6647 hadn't beaten me to it. But "solid built"? I just have to say that's a bit of an overstatement. If the sheet metal Advent used to build the 300 chassis had been any thinner, you could probably see through it. I made a decent repro of a 300 bottom panel once, using a good scissors.

Again, though, that doesn't mean I'm not a fanboy. I absolutely think it's a worthy choice for the OP.

Cheers,

chazix

Advents are great! I bought one new. It had problems off and on, but was otherwise excellent.

My wife has been trying to end my affair with this Panasonic F35 portable since 1985, but our love is strong. No phono input, but outside of that, she’s the complete package and takes up very little space. I don’t care that she’s from the ghetto.
Panny.jpg
side.jpg

Last edited:
If you can find an Advent 350, go for it. Doesn't have the FM drift of the 300 and produces about 50 watts compared to its little brother.

Second on the late 60s early 70s HH Scotts. The 342-C (Does the C indicate a certain chassis size?) is only 4.75x15x11" (HWD), much smaller than similar vintage Japanese built receivers. Interestingly the solid metal case has no vent holes yet it does not get very hot in normal use. Picture of one all lit up. Like early Sherwoods may need a power switch added when the one on the volume control fails. A former fix and repair wreck I am glad to have returned to being fully functional. Like a 2000A seems to punch above its weight class.
View attachment 1255953]
AFAIK, it means that it came after the unsuffixed 342 and the 342B. I don't think there was a 342A.
118.jpg

source: www.alliedcatalogs.com (1967)
hh_scott_342b_fm_stereo_receiver.jpg

source: www.hifiengine.com

Scott claimed that the aluminum chassis design formed an extremely effective heat sink, thus no need for ventilation. IIRC, the power transistors were mounted on the back apron, weren't they?
Used to be a 342C here but I gave it to a solid state Scott fan in Virginia long ago.

Scott 342C by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
Scott 342C innards sideview by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Last edited:
View attachment 1255953]

Agreed highly, that era of HH Scott was top notch on build and engineering and perform great in nice order. I favor HH Scott, Sansui, and Sony's best 1966-1971 work over most others.

the power transistors were mounted on the back apron, weren't they?

Some that had the outputs on the back panel still put ventilation for the cases. Then again some needed it, thinking of the power supply resistors in a Sherwood S-7200 (250+ F). I knew the C was the later model. Direct output and not cap coupled. I apparently was not with it when I was typing it. This one was a fix and repair unit and needed a lot of work to get back in good working order. Sounds great with a number of new transistors. LEDs replaced the burned out stereo/accutune bulbs. I had to recap it just to get more than garbled garbage out of it so I could figure what its other problems were. It had plenty. Hopefully will be reliable for a long time.
IMG_20180811_210635.jpg

Last edited:
Funny comment., so I think you misinterpreted my question about the outputs -- I didn't recall for certain that they were mounted on the back (i.e., outside) but I thought that they were (IIRC = "if I recall correctly"). I gave the one here away a long time ago. It was a dump (scrap metal pile) find, but it worked pretty well as found. There's a guy at audioasylum who is/was big into the solid state Scotts, so I passed it along to him.
Ahh, actually, I found a photo of the back of that 342C and the outputs aren't on the back.
upload_2018-8-11_21-42-24.png

The comment about Scott claiming to use the whole chassis as heat sink is true -- I may be able to find it in a period document & I will share it if/when I do.
Also, the 342C was a pretty low powered receiver.

I likewise didn't remember if the 348 that was once here had ventilation holes or not; it too is long gone.
Dug up some photos of it and I note that this one did have the outputs on the back. That one was ventilated, too, it appears.
upload_2018-8-11_21-45-45.png
upload_2018-8-11_21-46-13.png
Scott348 innards by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I was semi-right :p See this from a 1968 Scott brochure I have:

upload_2018-8-11_21-54-31.png
upload_2018-8-11_21-56-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-11_21-55-24.png
    upload_2018-8-11_21-55-24.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 3
Sherwood on the S-7200 uses the back panel as a heat sink too. They mounted the transistors on the outside under a metal cover. Still gave the case plenty of ventilation.

IMG_20180811_215855.jpg IMG_20180811_215947.jpg

For something a little more modern,the NAD 701 and Denon 335R have served me well in small spaces. I have a small preference for the Denon because it has a variable loudness knob for low volume listening while the NAD has better audiophile creds. Ironically, you'll probably find them cheaper and in better condition than some of the older models others have mentioned.

Need a small bench receiver, I was thinking about a Marantz 2210/Sansui 551/ NAD or ?Looking for recommendations.
I've been looking at the Yamaha RX-E400 and the Denon UDR-M10 and they both look nice but neither one has preamp outputs only a subwoofer output.
The Nakamichi R1 is the only small receiver that I could find that has preamp outputs but it only has one aux input.
I wish the Nakamichi had more than one input the Yamaha and Denon would have had preamp outputs. I like the size of the Denon UDR-M10 and the Yamaha RX-E400. I,m still looking for a receiver that size that also has preamp outputs

Advent 300, small compact and packs a punch! Affordable and solid built!
That Advent 300 is nice in that it does have preamp outputs as well as power amp inputs but I'm looking for something with a smaller front panel around 9 inches like the Yamaha RX-E400 and Denon UDR-M10 with also preamp outputs. Haven't been able to find anything so far; maybe doesn't exist.

There was an AWIA mini rack system in the 80's that was about the size you want , I purchased one for father using my employee discount. If I remember correctly it was all separates, amp , preamp, cassette, tuner. It wasn't exactly cheap, but was nicely made, all silver.

Minicomponents were a thing ca. 1979/80, at least with the Japanese manufacturers. Not sure they quite caught on at the time, but they were adorable.
Generally, though (as best I recall) they were configured with separate power amps and preamps or preamp-tuners, as opposed to receivers.

https://books.google.com/books?id=scDqNaEhDEgC&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=technics+microcomponents&source=bl&ots=TvHViD4xHF&sig=UZiqMKpiCGD40HVAe-vimyjkQzs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiGvcKgrercAhVwm-AKHTCSD9gQ6AEwAHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=technics microcomponents&f=false

upload_2018-8-13_11-36-22.png

That one in the bottom of your posted picture with the clarinet on top of it, is the one that my father had. I wish I had it now, prefect for my bench!

Back
Top Bottom