Feedback on L100 speaker foam supplier?

wu6fiend

Just wondering if anyone has ordered from Sculpted Foam Innovations (ebay vendor), and purchased their JBL L100 "foam quadrex speaker grill inserts".

They have good feedback, I'm just wondering about the shipping time, and whether the product is indeed as good as it appears.

I've located a nice pair of L100s, and would like to purchase some grill inserts for them. I would prefer the blue, but my wife says the black ones are her preference. I don't need the frames, thankfully, just the foam.

Anyone order the product from this company, and have an experience to share?

Well, I took the plunge, and ordered a set of foams from Sculpted Foam Innovations. My newly purchased L100s are currently wearing a set of orange foams (from the same supplier), and while they are high quality, and look perfect, I'm just not a fan of the colour (and neither is my wife). I contemplated the blue ones, but the blue is too bright IMO. So, nice safe black for me. The seller of the speakers said he ordered the orange ones from the same vendor off Ebay, and while the wait was long, it was worth it.

I got the red. Very nice product but I recommend practicing with the Gorrila glue that is recommended as the adhesive before you do the inserts. It will expand when it sets and I didn't exspect that. A little goes a long way.

I got the red. Very nice product but I recommend practicing with the Gorrila glue that is recommended as the adhesive before you do the inserts. It will expand when it sets and I didn't exspect that. A little goes a long way.

Thank you! I will be very careful removing the existing orange foam from the frames, before installing the new black foam, when the time comes. I didn't know the foam was glued in place, I thought it was just a press fit. Very good information.

When I got mine elsewhere a couple years back, I glued mine to the screens with GE RTV - basically, silicon bathtub caulk in a tube!

I went with a mid-grey color (unpainted foam, actually) and I liked it against the walnut cabinets.

(in the top picture you can see the brown retro foam I got for my L200s underneath)

L100-L200-Foams_0509.jpg
L100-Foams_0566.jpg

Attachments

• L100-Foams_0566.jpg
    L100-Foams_0566.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 11
Thank you! I will be very careful removing the existing orange foam from the frames, before installing the new black foam, when the time comes. I didn't know the foam was glued in place, I thought it was just a press fit. Very good information.
It's the glue for new foam you will be installimg. I didn't know it would expand and some of it bleed on to the front of the foam and hurt my perfect installation. It was just a little but not perfect just the same.
I hate when that happens !

It took a while, but the wait was worth it. In the end, I purchased a complete set of black foams with grills, and then a set each of both the orange and the blue foams, to complete a couple of spare L100 frames I have. So I will have three options for my L100 speakers. These were all ordered in March. There were delays due to problems with some of the foam supply, and then a serious personal matter. I have to complement this vendor, his shipping is absolutely top notch. For the complete grills, he uses expanding foam insulation, so the grills are literally locked in place in the box, and you have to be very careful as you take the box apart to free them. The quality is top notch, and I'm very pleased. If I could somehow figure out how to post some photos, I would.

Last edited:
I just received my frames and black foam grilles from sculpted-foam-innovations for my L-100s. Even though black was not an original foam color I thought they'd look good and they really do IMO. They fit the cabinets perfectly and the black foam is perfectly cut. They also came with JBL Emblems. They took a little longer than expected as the owner had a very serious family issue and then the Post Office screwed up the initial shipment and part of the address label was missing. But it was well worth the wait. Top quality craftsmanship frames foam cutting, materials, everything.

Attachments

• L100 Grille back.JPG
    L100 Grille back.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 77
  • L100 Grille Front.JPG
    L100 Grille Front.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 74
  • L100 Grille off.JPG
    L100 Grille off.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 76
  • L100 Grille front w badge.JPG
    L100 Grille front w badge.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Like, totally. Those look fabulous. And I’m crazy about the orange ones he sent me. Just over the top quality. Took months; so worth it.

Like, totally. Those look fabulous. And I’m crazy about the orange ones he sent me. Just over the top quality. Took months; so worth it.

I had a really hard time choosing the color. They look good to me in all 3 original colors and black now that I’ve seen them in person. Post a pic of the orange if you would love to see yours.

The only uncontrollable downside is the frames can’t match the 40+ year patina of the original cabinets. But it’s only a minor difference on mine and a better match than I expected being new wood.

It’s great to have a source for what to me are the coolest looking speaker grilles of all time.

Yeah, tough choosing a color, but orange is the one I think of for L100s.

C34ECCBD-CF04-43EA-907F-60C55BD0CEB1.jpeg

Attachments

• 562BFCF5-71E4-456B-A146-06C3BBCFD9B1.jpeg
    562BFCF5-71E4-456B-A146-06C3BBCFD9B1.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 90
  • C3174B60-7A1C-4ABE-AE24-6A5C8E2A7995.jpeg
    C3174B60-7A1C-4ABE-AE24-6A5C8E2A7995.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 4EDD0AB1-9920-4A4D-8BE3-C39E17D14BF1.jpeg
    4EDD0AB1-9920-4A4D-8BE3-C39E17D14BF1.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 956A720E-4407-4B15-97DB-E8F743DDA680.jpeg
    956A720E-4407-4B15-97DB-E8F743DDA680.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 737DAD97-4C87-4AEB-847C-ACDC649F623C.jpeg
    737DAD97-4C87-4AEB-847C-ACDC649F623C.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 6B1E2C07-11A2-4830-BCDB-5023A40E2634.jpeg
    6B1E2C07-11A2-4830-BCDB-5023A40E2634.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 87
Yeah, tough choosing a color, but orange is the one I think of for L100s.

Nice!, More subtle orange than the Ebay pics, and it looks great. Still saving for some cabs? hehe.
Are the badges Velcro from SFI or did you add the Velcro?

Thanks! I have some minty L100s in my garage awaiting some cleanup.

Velcro was how they came.

Last edited:
Thanks Zonker92 for the tip on the Velcro, I didn't want to do anything destructive if they were glued on. They were sure packed nice too (like your pic), took about a half hour to surgically remove them, but that's fine with me, safe & sound.
Like to see some pics of those orange grilles on your cabs when you get them cleaned up. Long live the L-100s!

I was wondering if sculpted foam innovations only sells thru ebay or if he has an e-store outside ebay.

I was wondering if sculpted foam innovations only sells thru ebay or if he has an e-store outside ebay.
Original post is 3 years old but your ? caught my eye because I just ordered a set for my L100's from them. Was only able to contact him via Ebay store. My only concern is how authentic the orange color is to the original JBL color. Was told by some that it seems more red than orange in real life. Anyone have any pics of JBL's original orange color for reference?

Back
Top Bottom