Was 1967-1971 really the best sound?

I am still trying to learn how to communicate on this site. I attempted to get to this little box to write in and it didn't come up. It allowed me to type on the screen below Kent's message. I hope that I did not step on someones toes because of unfamiliarity.

No. They'd just changed over to silicon transistors (from Germanium) and, were slowly working-out how to get the biasing characteristics of making higher-powered units a feasible reality; without them (either) blowing up or the sound being totally sterile.
The third generation of solid state (1971-1975) was when everything seemed to come together --- still no "space saving"-build cost-cutting; most point-to-point connections hard wired instead of brittle wirewrap terminations; and transistor topology was finally proven enough.
The imported brands, though, which got better and came into their own by the late-'70s (while the rest were dumping everything into "monster" units) were Yamaha and Onkyo. The Yamahas were the first with a dedicated headphone amp circuit.

I have been reading everywhere about better receivers while trying to buy the best vintage stereo with a merger budget to start. I admit when I was really interested in stereo back in the seventies I really wanted a big power sound. On returning to stereo this year I began with a search for big receivers for great sound but kept bumping up against others learned opinions that better sound resides in vintage old power from the early seventies- actually ending by 1971!

You know how it can be hard to let go.. Of an idea that is really just wrong? It has taken me a few weeks of searching the net's wisdom to confirm again that the better sound resides in rebuilding a early receiver to better than new specs with better caps, etc. So ok I accept it. Now I'm looking at the Sansui G-6000 i wanted to buy with suspicion as it is past the time of better sound.

I dont know if there a few receivers brand/models out there that were built before 1972 that will provide 40 wpc rms for my Paradigms. I may have to compromise a bit and by a later model Sansui, maybe the G-xxx series.

Absolutely not, there's not any magic era of products. You have to compare everything on an individual basis, generalizing will only help you to rule out good options, and consider things which aren't otherwise in the running.

every review magazine out there rated the Marantz 250 amplifier as the finest--period. You can find the mags online at the radio museum website. It was that amp that had Mac owners claiming to be just as good back in the day. They still do to this day. No other amp from that period ever produced the midrange the 250 is famous for. As far as the bass goes, the reason people bought Marantz gear over Mac gear was the superior bass in the first place. It's known as a legendary amp for a reason. The beauty of it is, if you can't afford the 250, you can get the much cheaper 240. They are the same, sans meters. the 250M is no where near as good sound, but it may be prettier VU meter wise.

You're all correct. There were great times and equipment made in the 70's, 60's and 90's through to the 18's. It was all great. Maybe some not so much but made affordable and efficient.
You gotta be in the lower end of the industry from way back and see the changes and differences.
I can't imagine the stuff I did way back in the 50's, 60's and 70's to get stuff to work. None of that now for me too old. But I still enjoy puttzing, as my wife calls it. I tune, retune, rewire, switch things around. I could never do that in my youth as I worked 70 hours a week.
With all my knowledge I have gained from the 50's til now, I thoroughly enjoy my electronic life.

I have been reading everywhere about better receivers while trying to buy the best vintage stereo with a merger budget to start. I admit when I was really interested in stereo back in the seventies I really wanted a big power sound. On returning to stereo this year I began with a search for big receivers for great sound but kept bumping up against others learned opinions that better sound resides in vintage old power from the early seventies- actually ending by 1971!

Certainly neither my impression nor my opinion.

Perhaps the best all-around amplifiers I've heard with my own ears were made in the 1940s by RCA.

845amp.jpg

Last edited:
If OP is on a budget and wants a very under rated (modern times) but excellent buiild quality unit, then I would suggest doing some research on Heathkit products. Doesn't matter who put it together because it will likely need a rebuild anyway. All handmade, all discrete (AFAIK) and sever units were class A/B. I really like my 1640 Amp--totally powerful beast.

Well, all I can say is our TEAC AS200S amp from 1970 sounds great. Just need to sort out the hum which has developed over the past few months.
Then again, our JVC AX-3 Super A amp from 1980 also sounds wonderful.

Certainly neither my impression nor my opinion.

Perhaps the best all-around amplifiers I've heard with my own ears were made in the 1940s by RCA.

845amp.jpg

OK so unless you're old enough that you went to a movie in 1949, what were the circumstances? I'm a sucker for any piece of RCA gear whose model starts with MI.

OK so unless you're old enough that you went to a movie in 1949, what were the circumstances? I'm a sucker for any piece of RCA gear whose model starts with MI.
I know a fellow who is running a pair of those on electrodynamic loudspeakers (in a purpose-built space). Amazing sound, just amazing.

Sansui/ Marantz/Pioneer, were trying to sound like tube amps but with solid state in the late 60s and early 70s they were very sweet low wattage receivers. Later on they were just great sounding powerful solid state. You have nothing to compare to , get what you want, a sui G is perfect. 6060 sui, or small marantz will be reality of great hifi.

The best recievers were made in the late 70's, 78-84 would work for me...
I'm in the 78-84 camp as well.
72-77 was some good sounding gear too and I do think my Pioneer SX-828 had a smoother sound than the SX-950..
And my little old 20 watt Scott SS receiver from the late 60's has a nice tone and an excellent phono stage, but 20 watts won;t drive Infinities.
The 78-84 stuff was when they not only had the good sound, but they put some gruntiliscious watts behind it as well..
Surely there was powerful gear in the early 70's, but not like the late 80's when you could walk into the PX and buy a kickbutt 100 watt receiver.

The late 80's and early 90's Optimus receivers have a nice clear warm sound. Very easy to listen to. My Optimus receiver has 100 WPC and plenty of reserve. Will even drive my Magnaplanar's to serious volume levels with plenty of headroom. Not afraid of 4 ohm loads.

Last edited:
Hello ,

I had few of the rated recievers during this era 73-88 , models used were from Sony, Scott, Sansui, pioneer , Technics, Kenwood and lastly Onkyo. Sansui's always had good sound and looked good, but the real sleepers amongst them were the Technics and Onkyo.

The big Technics with power display IMO was the best sonically of the Jap recievers, good drive as the Sansui's , but without the darkness and i did go thru quite a few sansui amps , pre's and recievers during that era, the recievers were not as open as the seperates.

At the time the big technics was a match for my ML-9 power amp , talk about rude awakening ..:)
Here's a guy that I can agree with about the big Technics SA Receivers !

Yes Sir !.....

Back
Top Bottom