What TT's do you folks have

I think a key factor with turntables is that so many of the mass produced models don't get dialed in ... if you think of the TT at it's foundation, it's about balance and alignment. So if you know what you are doing, you can make a humble turntable sound better than a more expensive turntable that is not setup correctly. That is responsible for some of the frustration many of us have experienced over the years, as well as giving us much satisfaction when we get it right.

:thumbsup:

I think a key factor with turntables is that so many of the mass produced models don't get dialed in ... if you think of the TT at it's foundation, it's about balance and alignment. So if you know what you are doing, you can make a humble turntable sound better than a more expensive turntable that is not setup correctly. That is responsible for some of the frustration many of us have experienced over the years, as well as giving us much satisfaction when we get it right.

This.^^^
I'm a drummer, and over my many years of playing professionally I've come across some some cats with some real high-end drum kits that sound like dog crap simply because they don't know how to properly tune them. My humble vintage four piece Slingerland kits puts them to shame, same thing with turntables.

I need to find out how to post pictures, but I made my TT using parts from old ones.
The plinth was made by me from one inch thick pressed oak, with an old sanyo S shape tonearm and Uturnaudio acrylic platter and motor.
The motor was installed externally to void some vibration and less stress to the spindle.
Cartridge is a Grado black.
The channel separation is wonderful and the sound pretty clear, but the crapy LP sound even more crapy and the good one excellent!

I only have one at the moment.

80's Rega Planar 2 with the following additions

sound supports vta adjuster
fidelity design sub platter
little belter belt (I needed a new one)
ortofon 2m blue (1.8gram tf)

I will probably add to my turntable collection soon. I would also like to try and make my own (well the plinth atleast)

Phono amp - Project phono box E and a Graham slee Gran amp 2 communicator

Sony_PS_X555_ES.jpg

Sony PS-X555ES linear tonearm, biotracer - Just got it, came with Denon DL-110
Sony PS-X600 biotracer

Last edited:
Been running a Hitachi HT-463 quartz.PLL DD since I bought it in 1981. Santa.gave me a new.Ortofon 2M red.for.Christmas and it's playing sweet. Just picked up Dual 1237 for.$20 from Craig's list , needs a cart but I have an old Signer TK3ea in going to run it with.

Picked up this Rega P1 for the Australian moon-money equivalent of $180 US dollars.

The lid was in really shabby condition, but a machine polish has got it nice enough that I'm not rushing to order a new one. There's a bit of the P missing on the logo, but otherwise it's in great condition.

IMG_1767.jpg

I am utterly enamoured with the sound of this thing. Just makes every record I spin sound so... nice... :thumbsup:

Got my B&O 1602 all cleaned and fixed up and added an MMC 20E cartridge. She's all hooked up and sounding great.
Those B&O tonearms aren't the easiest to balance but I got it thanks to a digital gauge. It's set to 1.5 grams.
IMG_0332dxo.jpg
IMG_0337.JPG
IMG_0341.JPG

Last edited:
I made a few calls today which resulted in my selling the JVC. It will be delivered next week but without the Pickering XSV-3000. I will mount a Shure M95e cartridge on it. I've put the Dual in temporary storage and the B&O back into service.

Last week after looking for some time found a minty Dual 1229. The Dust cover has literally no scratches on it. I took it to a local guy that goes over Duals and has a reputation for being a perfectionist so it comes back in about 2 weeks. I bought a Sure V15 type III Cartridge and working on the stylus. I always liked these but could never afford one. Finally landed one. Can't wait to spin some vinyl again, it's been a long time..............00B0B_3p2G5KkE0oF_600x450.jpg 00H0H_fAbQPMczhw6_1200x900.jpg IMG_1214 (002).JPG 00G0G_8b8LAY3pSYv_1200x900.jpg00g0g_jQHpYU69QRG_1200x900.jpg IMG_1215 (002).JPG

Update: The 1229 is back and loaded with a Sure V15 typeIII Cart. A guy in town that specializes in rebuilding Dual turntables went over it and it and dialed it in for the V15. It works flawlessly and is really fun to spin LPs on. I guess I waited long enough after seeing them in the 70s as a kid. I'm sure there are plenty of better tables out there but this one seems just right for my "vintage" turntable quest.

Last edited:
Last week after looking for some time found a minty Dual 1229. The Dust cover has literally no scratches on it. I took it to a local guy that goes over Duals and has a reputation for being a perfectionist so it comes back in about 2 weeks. I bought a Sure V15 type III Cartridge and working on the stylus. I always liked these but could never afford one. Finally landed one. Can't wait to spin some vinyl again, it's been a long time..............View attachment 1292302 View attachment 1292303 View attachment 1292304 View attachment 1292310View attachment 1292312 View attachment 1292314
Superb! :thumbsup:

B909445B-D3DD-46B2-9281-4E1C7AC594FC.jpeg 396A752E-722B-4016-98ED-E3B1A28C5236.jpeg 1E4739A6-BB4D-4B6D-9942-857ADC0AE420.jpeg 5CDEA877-DD92-4CAC-AF0A-14ADC2AB42AB.jpeg D61295E1-3354-4F58-BDBE-4EE9D7DAE229.jpeg
My first turntable since college days (1985)

Empire 398 with 980 arm and optional anti-skate weight. Bought at the local record store after testing it and getting good input from fellow AKers. Will upgrade cartridge. Ortofon 2m Red has been suggested as a good match.

Jimi and his drummer seemed to agree with my choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom