Narrow width CD player?

prisoners

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Can anyone think of a less than 17” wide CD player? Something along the size of those cheap, smaller DVD players that came out, which I suppose I could use but I was wondering if there was something a little better available.

Heaps of narrow 'midi' sized ones were made through the 80s.

All* Pioneer's standard range of CD players were 420mm wide. (16.5")

*except the ones with pretty rosewood/urushi sides which you can remove.

Technics SL-PJ series, I had one back in the 80s. They were the same width as their narrow carriage linear trackers like the SL-10.

As mentioned above, there were a ton of "half width" CDPs made in the 80's and 90's. IIRC, most of them were not the highest quality units, but I'm sure there were at least a few good ones. Maybe you can find one being parted out of one of the mini-systems--some of those were pretty good--they even had 3-disc changer units in addition to single disc units.

How about a new player by Pro-Ject? They offer a slot loader and a top loader. Both are only a little over 8 inches wide.

prmacd_blk.jpg

prbxcdrs_blk_rpg34.jpg

Audio Advisor sells them. They look pretty cool to me.

There were some earlier Sony Discman models that wouldn't look out of place in a stationary, compact shelf system. Indeed, they were kind of clunky for carrying round jogging or whatnot. Some had FM tuners.

Those 80's Philip's/Marantz/Magnavox top loaders are cool. They are supposed to sound good and can be upgraded some also. I liked how they made them look a bit like a turntable with the window on top. Too bad they sell for a lot of money or I would have one.

Yamaha CDX-10. Reasonable specs, aftermarket lasers still available, ca 11" wide x 14" deep.

Cheers,
James

How about a new player by Pro-Ject? They offer a slot loader and a top loader. Both are only a little over 8 inches wide.

prmacd_blk.jpg

prbxcdrs_blk_rpg34.jpg

Audio Advisor sells them. They look pretty cool to me.
I like Pro-Ject. They make compact and good stuff.

Yeah, the Pro-Ject CD Box S is quite small (only about 8" wide) and considerably less expensive than the Rega Apollo. Could be a good alternative.

Take a look at the Shanling EC1B. Really enjoyed mine until I replaced it with a pro audio Denon Blue Ray player. The Shanling is far better to operate though with remote control.

Teac had a line called the Reference Series that's about 12" wide, the PD-H500 was the single disc player, I have the 3 disc player and it's very well built and sounds nice.

teac_pd-h500_cd_player.jpg

Back
Top Bottom